DC-DC or Solar as a starting point.

Littleblackflash

Auto Engineer
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
SWMBO has agreed to buy me a nice Christmas present; some power in the van :) I use my van mainly when racing my car, and I sleep in it overnight in the paddock somewhere. I only really need power for interior lights, phone charging, heater and a TV/laptop. I rarely stay in the van for more than 1 night so I use a cool box, therefore my power requirements are quite low.

Would it be best to have a DC-DC charger to charge a leisure battery or an independent solar system? I normally drive for 3-4hrs to each race so I'm sure the battery would be full using a DC-DC, but the solar would give me power if I stay longer.

Is there anything reason to get one over the other?

SWMBO has agreed to buy me a nice Christmas present; some power in the van :) I use my van mainly when racing my car, and I sleep in it overnight in the paddock somewhere. I only really need power for interior lights, phone charging, heater and a TV/laptop. I rarely stay in the van for more than 1 night so I use a cool box, therefore my power requirements are quite low.

Would it be best to have a DC-DC charger to charge a leisure battery or an independent solar system? I normally drive for 3-4hrs to each race so I'm sure the battery would be full using a DC-DC, but the solar would give me power if I stay longer.

Is there anything reason to get one over the other?
What solar setup would you be using? Mobile panels plugged in when needed, or panels bonded to the roof?

Imho

Fit DC-DC first,

Then add solar after...

If I was to go for solar, I would have a panel bonded to the roof.

I'm thinking of a Victron Orion Smart 30A 12v DC-DC and a normal 110h leisure battery. I'm thinking the extra cost over a 18A charger is worth it for the quicker charging.

I second - Fit DC-DC first. If battery is low start engine let DC-DC do the work. Solar in UK not the best idea.

have a look over here for some extra info:

POWER:

SOLAR:

have a look at this kit . .

based around the CTEK D250se

its Lithium suitable and can take solar as well.

1640095124526.png

add a battery . . . either AGM or Lithium.

add solar at a later date when its sunny. mobile or fixed.

++++++++++++

But as you say . . . Victron is awesome, so have a look at the Orion dc-dc.

Which first? I'd say it depends how you use your van. If you drive a lot the a B2B makes sense, but if like me you tend to park up and stay a while on a campsite, and explore by bike, then a B2B wont keep your battery up and solar is better. If like mine your van is often stood on the drive for a while (lockdowns etc) again a B2B isnt helping whereas solar keeps things topped up. Daylight is enough to maintain an unloaded battery, you dont need sun unless theres anything more than a light load on the battery. I'm a 'light user' (fridge & LEDs, but no coffee machines or 3kw inverters) and the 100w panel has been perfectly adequate for me without a B2B.
All depends on how you use your van :)

This is all bye-the bye though, the real question is what can you buy for her thats equally thoughtful? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back