Leisure battery not charging from DC - DC

bistables

Hi all

I have a Roamer 120ah lithium battery installed under the drivers seat with two charging options - the first is a Victron charger connected to my mains hookup, and the second is the ABSO 50ah DC-DC charger connected to a solar panel and the starter battery.

The Victron charger works perfectly.

However, the DC-DC charger is acting rather strange.

It appears that the DC-DC is over estimating the voltage of the leisure battery, and therefore halting the charge process prematurely.

This morning, I began to charge the battery from a very low voltage after it had been stored for several months. My Roamer app and the Victron app both indicated a voltage of around 12.2V as it started to charge. However, the DC-DC indicated 13.2V.

For the first hour the DC-DC charger was working (I.e. the battery was receiving charge from both the Victron charger and the DC-DC). But as the voltage began to rise, the current from the DC-DC stopped, indicating a battery voltage of 13.5V. The battery itself and the Victron charger at this point indicated around 12.4V, i.e. the battery still very much in need of charge.

From my basic knowledge of this system and reading the manuals, this is generally how the DC-DC is supposed to work for lithium batteries. It provides charge until a certain voltage threshold is reached (in this case 13.5V) and then ceases, but will kick in again if the voltage drops below a certain threshold.

Unfortunately, it seems that the DC-DC charger is over estimating the battery voltage (compared to the estimates from the battery itself and my Victron charger). As such it is largely useless, as it only provides charge for a very short interval when voltage is very low, and thereafter nothing.

Would appreciate any ideas on why this might be happening or how to resolve (or if it’s likely that the DC-DC charger is faulty and needs replacing).

Thanks!

Are you using the mains charger (Victron?) & the DC-DC charger at the same time? If so, the DC-DC is seeing the charging voltage of the mains charger & assuming that’s the battery voltage. Try using one or the other.

Got some.pics of the install and Apps.?

The Roamer has low temp charge blocking.

Let's see some more details.

Are you using the mains charger (Victron?) & the DC-DC charger at the same time? If so, the DC-DC is seeing the charging voltage of the mains charger & assuming that’s the battery voltage. Try using one or the other.
Thanks Spuds - I was using them both together, so this could be an issue. I’ll give it a try later with the Victron unplugged.

Reactions: CAB
Back