[Guide] Renogy IP67 50A DC-DC Charger + MPPT (for leisure battery) -- How We Done It --

um. . . well the book says to mot use the EXTERNAL temp sensor for Lithium battery setup,

so the TEMP i see from the APP was 25c default with No temp sensor connected - and a second MPPT internal unit temp that always works.

will report here when renogy get back to me.

To Be Fair - Low temp charge protection should be a feature of the lithium battery BMS and down to the charger.

Some of the Renogy Bats have LTP.

the Cheap Budget Lifepo4s donr have it.

Last edited:
So if you were starting a new system from scratch, would you consider building around one of these rather than potentially 3 separate units from other manufacturers?

I'm looking at a system to manage charging leisure battery from system/starter battery and solar panel, plus trickle charging starter battery from leisure/solar when vehicle not run for a while. I've always been a bit of a Victron fan, but have to say I'm struggling to justify putting in individual DC-DC, MPPT, trickle charger, BMS etc. when units such as this seem to offer all the same functionality from a single unit, with a single point of configuration/monitoring etc..

Interested to know if your testing proved it's worth in maintaining starter battery from leisure/solar when vehicle not run for a while?

Cheers, Steve.

Last edited:
FWIW my Renogy DC-DC system has worked really well for about three years now. (Full disclaimer the 50A unit was replaced by the latest version when the original burnt out with an internal fault, see another thread for details) It does everything I want very well in a small packaged unit that allows me to fit a 100ah Lithium battery and all the units including fusebox under the single passenger seat. I also have a Victron shunt fitted so have multiple means of checking all the parameters but to be honest I mostly just eyeball the standard voltage display in my cabinet.
The van has sat on the drive for a few weeks at a time summer and winter with the compressor fridge on. The Renogy uses a 160w solar panel to keep the house and vehicle battery charged. In the winter the Renogy also takes care of low temperature charging cut off.
So from my practical experience, yes it does what you want very well.

FWIW my Renogy DC-DC system has worked really well for about three years now. (Full disclaimer the 50A unit was replaced by the latest version when the original burnt out with an internal fault, see another thread for details) It does everything I want very well in a small packaged unit that allows me to fit a 100ah Lithium battery and all the units including fusebox under the single passenger seat. I also have a Victron shunt fitted so have multiple means of checking all the parameters but to be honest I mostly just eyeball the standard voltage display in my cabinet.
The van has sat on the drive for a few weeks at a time summer and winter with the compressor fridge on. The Renogy uses a 160w solar panel to keep the house and vehicle battery charged. In the winter the Renogy also takes care of low temperature charging cut off.
So from my practical experience, yes it does what you want very well.

Thanks for this, helps a lot! Does it keep the vehicle battery topped up from house/leisure battery bank even when little/no output from solar? That's the bit I'm having to read between the lines on a bit, as the spec/Dell's rundown talks about trickle charging vehicle battery from solar but the way I read it at least not necessarily from the other battery? This question maybe a little fuelled by my naivety having never had a solar source on a vehicle before, and just assuming there could be days in the winter where next to nothing will be generated from solar. Thanks again. :)

Thanks for this, helps a lot! Does it keep the vehicle battery topped up from house/leisure battery bank even when little/no output from solar? That's the bit I'm having to read between the lines on a bit, as the spec/Dell's rundown talks about trickle charging vehicle battery from solar but the way I read it at least not necessarily from the other battery? This question maybe a little fuelled by my naivety having never had a solar source on a vehicle before, and just assuming there could be days in the winter where next to nothing will be generated from solar. Thanks again. :)
I believe it uses Solar and not the house battery to keep your vehicle battery topped up. It's logic will fill the house battery first then go to work on the vehicle battery.
My van is parked in the north of Scotland on a sloping drive with the solar panel facing north and it seems to work fine. Guessing the longest I have left it is about three weeks and I almost never turn the fridge off but did for maybe a month last winter, think it was warmer in the fridge than it was outside then though.
Sure a suite of Victron kit would do the same thing but maybe not at the price of the Renogy

Back