Solar Panel: Cutting Hole in Roof !!!

Base1388

Romany - Plumber
VIP Member
T6 Guru
im going fit a solar panel

I’ve made sure all cables and connections are under the panel. As I hate to see them.

Until it arrives I don’t know how high the connections make the panel sit off the roof !
It’s a HiLow roof. Inside is unfinished.
I’ve got to drill cable holes anyway.
So considering cutting a hole for the whole box to sit in. Silkafex it to death !
Definitely don’t want any leaks !

May fibreglass it inside too. Just to make sure sure.

Anyone done anything similar??

Thanks
Romany

Connection box it 25mm thick.
Don’t know how raised the ribs of the roof are !

im going fit a solar panel... So considering cutting a hole for the whole box to sit in. Silkafex it to death !
Thats exactly what Hillside Leisure do. The whole terminal housing is let into the fibreglass poptop roof, so externally the panel is entirely flush and no visible connections.
Cheers
Phil

I’m planning to do the same. Any ideas out there for the best way to run the cable back down to the van and to manage the cable to prevent it getting trapped or kinked. Thanks.

Thanks but search didn’t help.... I’m looking to deal with the cable with a Hilo roof. It goes up a lot further meaning a lot more cable.. I’m hoping to use duel core wiring.

Thanks but search didn’t help.... I’m looking to deal with the cable with a Hilo roof. It goes up a lot further meaning a lot more cable.. I’m hoping to use duel core wiring.
I didn't think the HiLo was that much taller at the back than the SCA? Also, there is a comment from @DaveyB in the thread I linked above - he has a HiLo.

Again thanks. I didn’t realise from the pic it was Hilo. I’m looking at a similar position so it doesn’t appear to be a problem... I’m waiting for new van with Hilo ...1 month to go .... my T5.1 with austop roof doesn’t rise as far.

what size/wattage panel is that?

and where did you get the bung from?

+++++++++++

Roof wrap for solar panel- whole roof or panel coverage?​

if you are going to stick a panel to the roof then its a good idea to vinyl wrap that section of roof first . .

the stick, bond, velco et c etc to that . . .

that will save a you world of grief when you need to remove it !!!

1630226118564.png

+++++++++++

1630226089353.png

Last edited:
I went straight in to the roof, I didn't use the door entry, not got any pictures but could take some

Yes thats the one but mine is the 130w, speak to Martyn at travel volts

really helpful and knows his stuff

May I ask how the panel is secured, and does the curly wire bounce around on the roof.
Tidy install, like it

Back