Installing 12v Socket /s - How Its Done -

Dellmassive

T32 204 DSG LWB SLN PV MY18 & T30 SWB KMB MY67
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Master
Installing 12v Socket /s - How Its Done -

Another popular hot topic is Power or more commonly 12v outlet sockets, so i thought i would put together some details on how it can be done.

The first thing you need to do is work out what you want and where . . . .

various 12v sockets are available, here are a few options.

1.JPG 2.JPG Capture.JPG

They all work on the same principle, they all need a +12v feed wire and a 0v ground wire.

so you have two options:

1: run a 2core cable from the source to the socket

or

2: run a 1core cable from the source and use a 0v body ground close to the socket.

here is an example of a pre-made 2core, fused cable with floating socket at the end. (you could cut off the socket and fit your own)
3.JPG

So you need to run an appropriate size cable to the rear socket location, either 2core or 1core+body ground. But what size cable and what size fuse?

You need to fuse the cable at the source with the appropriate rated fuse, Why? well to protect the cable. In the event of a dead-short say from a collision a dead-short could set fire to the cable - which is very bad!

The above example uses Cable: SPT-2 2/C 16AWG, 10FT Red & Black Heavy Duty 100% Copper Wire. and uses a 15A fuse. - remember you can always you UP in cable size/rating and DOWN in fuse size/rating. but must never go DOWN in cable size and UP in fuse size. - always protect the cable with a good safety margin and down rate the fuse by 25% or more.

some average cables sizes used are:

Conductor Cross Section(mm²)
0.5mm - 11Amps,
0.75mm - 14A
1.0mm - 16.5A
1.5mm - 21A
2.0mm - 25A
2.5mm - 28A
3.0mm – 33A
4.0mm – 39A
6.0mm – 50A
8.5mm – 63A
10mm - 70A
16mm - 110A
25mm - 170A
35mm - 240A
50mm – 345A
70mm – 485A
95mm – 500A

18AWG/ (Wire Diameter) 1.02mm / (Cross Secition area) 0.8mm2

16AWG/ (Wire Diameter) 1.29mm / (Cross Secition area) 1.3mm2

12AWG/ (Wire Diameter) 2.05mm / (Cross Secition area) 3.3mm2

10AWG/ (Wire Diameter) 2.59mm / (Cross Secition area) 5.2mm2

1594419630881.png

1594419197485.png

heres an example:

1594419280460.png

1594419296021.png

heres a detailed look at some 1.5mm2 . . . .

1594419413627.png

cable.jpg

as as a rough guide the longer the cable run is the thicker the cable needs to be, why? well volt drop!

Volt drop can be an issue when you are trying to pull larger current for larger loads, say a winch or tyre inflator or AMP or 12v fridge or anything else. Its like the water through a pipe analogy. A Fatter pipe lets more water through than a thin pipe right - at a set pressure. well a fatter wire has less resistance to current flow so allows more juice to flow.

So again if you want to run more than just a USB charger from the socket then look at running in the thicker cable, see where we are going with this . . . . . . longer run = thicker cable, larger loads = thicker cable, multiple loads = thicker cable.

Suitable cable to the length required may be 1mm, 1.5mm, 2.0mm, 2.5mm or larger.

a battery cable for example could be 2AWG/4AWG 6.6mm and handle 100-150A.

Now Fuses:

Choose_the_Fuse_Amperage.jpg

The Fuse is there to protect the cable and must be fitted as close to the source as possible, the above chart show some relations, but to keep things simple we are looking at fuses of 1-15A for the cable we are looking to run in.

As a guide the 12v socket fuse would be down rated to 10Amp if the cable/length could carry 15A. - why? - we again we want to stay safe. if you run the 15amp cable and draw 15amps through it there will be a very good chance the cable will start to heat-up and possibly melt the cable/fuse/fuse holder/connection. So we always down rate the fuse to a safe level to protect the whole cable run.

If you plug in a device that requires more than the 10A fuse and it blows then that tells you that you need a beefier supply cable that can handle say 20A and down rate that fuse to say 15A. (Note- most 12v sockets are rated at 15A max and WILL start to get HOT during use above 10A due to the small surface area of the connection points within the socket. other plug/socket combos are recommended for higher loads for example - Anderson plugs)

Where do we take the source from? - well you have a few options depending on your setup.

Connect the fused cable to either:
Starter battery, (engine bay)
Ignition supply, (central glove box under dash)
Leisure battery, (under front seat/s if fitted)

direct battery connections (starter or Leisure) can be done with ring terminals with a fuse within a few inches of the battery post like this . . . . (remember not to bridge-out the T6 battery current shunt on the starter battery -ve post - use a suitable ground point)

5.JPG

You can also pick up an ignition feed or starter battery feed from the central dash fuse box using new fuse pins and populate empty OEM fuse locations OR you can tap onto existing fuse locations using a fuse-buddy like below (observe the correct way round to fit the fuse buddy so the outgoing leg is actually fused) . . . . . . . . .

4.JPG

Be mindful not to leave things plugged in that will drain the battery flat and damage it. (you could fit a low-voltage battery disconnect if you were very forgetful)

If you needed more power/current or more sockets, then the supply cable/fuse needs to be increased accordingly. Or just run multiple feeds out to various sockets all separate with separate fuses Etc.

Also remember that if you plan to use any inline on/off switches then you need to make sure that "Amp rating of the switch contacts" are inline with above, ie use a switch that can handle at least 15A DC on your 10A circuit. . . . again over-rate the switch to stay safe.

Examples:

Twin cable (Flat 2 Core 1.5mm² 21Amps, 5 Metres) 5Metre - https://amzn.to/35V5nY4

Twin cable (Flat 2 Core 2.0mm² 25Amps, 5 Metres) - https://amzn.to/393hDYp

Twin cable (Flat 2 Core 3.0mm² 33Amps, 5 Metres) - Wire4u 12V 24V AUTOMOTIVE 2/3/4/5/7 CORE THINWALL RED/BLACK CAR CABLE WIRE ROUND/FLAT (Flat 2 Core 3.0mm² 33Amps, 5 Metres): Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Round Twin 2 Core Cable 12v 24v Thin Wall Wire (25 AMP Rated 2mm²) 10 Metre - Round Twin 2 Core Cable 12v 24v Thin Wall Wire (25 AMP Rated 2mm²) 10 Metre: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Single cable 1.5mm² - Car Electrical Wire, Set of 2 Colours (Red/Black) at 5m - https://amzn.to/2MnDhx4

Single cable 2.5mm² - Car Electrical Wire, Set of 2 Colours (Red/Black) at 5m - DCSk - Vehicle cable type FLRY B asymmetrical 2.5mm²: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

6 Way Blade Fuse Box with LED Indicator for Car Boat Van - https://amzn.to/2sSFCcr

12 Way Blade Fuse Box/Bus Bar With Cover - https://amzn.to/2MmWtec

5 Gang Toggle Switch Panel, Dual USB Socket Charger 12V Power Outlet LED Voltmeter -
https://amzn.to/35MsHqV

12v Igntn Feed + 5xusb Charging From Ign Feed - Today's Install
12v Aux Feed + 5xusb Charging From Aux Battery - Today's Install

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread

Last edited:
Great informative post.

Could you point me in the directions if how to know which wire(s) to take a 12V feed from under the passenger seat?

Great informative post.

Could you point me in the directions if how to know which wire(s) to take a 12V feed from under the passenger seat?
it depends on what spec van you have, can you post a few pics of what you have under the seat so we know what you have?

cool, what type of van is it and do you have a leisure battery fitted?
No Leisure battery - its still on the to do list.
Dec 2015 Panel Van Highline T30 DSG Heated seats (I hope thats enough info on the van version.
I now have an electric hookup under th bonnet and a consumer unit and some 230V sockets under the passenger seat as well.

that looks like the SH fuse box:

relay 5 - Trailer voltage supply relay -J941- (643) -- (do you have trailer wiring fitted?)

and fuses SH7,8,9. All fed from Terminal 30. (Terminal 30 is just a generic term for an unswitched supply direct from the vehicle battery (i.e. not switched via the ignition).

You should be able to "add" a new fuse pin to one of those empty fuse-slots and take your +v feed from there, it looks like the fat red cable is a 24/7 supply from the starter battery to that SH fuse strip.

VW T6 Fuse Boxes - Overview Of Fuse Holder Vehicle Locations

T6 Relay Locations

Last edited:
that looks like the SH fuse box:

relay 5 - Trailer voltage supply relay -J941- (643) -- (do you have trailer wiring fitted?)

YES

and fuses SH7,8,9. All fed from Terminal 30. (Terminal 30 is just a generic term for an unswitched supply direct from the vehicle battery (i.e. not switched via the ignition).

You should be able to "add" a new fuse pin to one of those empty fuse-slots and take your +v feed from there, it looks like the fat red cable is a 24/7 supply from the starter battery to that SH fuse strip.

VW T6 Fuse Boxes - Overview Of Fuse Holder Vehicle Locations

T6 Relay Locations

Thanks for the info. I will have a look this weekend. :)

I dont theink the fat red cable is connected to anything, but I will have another look

I dont theink the fat red cable is connected to anything, but I will have another look
As @Dellmassive says, that chunky red cable (with the smaller cables) looks like a factory-fit auxiliary-feed that is fed from the starter battery via the e-box. When you eventually get your leisure battery, that cable will feed it via a DC-DC charger. Then you can attach your accessories to the battery and not worry about flattening your starter battery.

This link will tell you more / help you confirm whether that is indeed a feed for an aux battery:

e-box | VW T6 Forum - The Dedicated VW Transporter T6 Forum

Last edited:
As @Dellmassive says, that chunky red cable (with the smaller cables) looks like a factory-fit auxiliary-feed that is fed from the starter battery via the e-box. When you eventually get your leisure battery, that cable will feed it via a DC-DC charger. Then you can attach your accessories to the battery and not worry about flattening your starter battery.

This link will tell you more / help you confirm whether that is indeed a feed for an aux battery:

e-box | VW T6 Forum - The Dedicated VW Transporter T6 Forum
So basically this chunky red cable runs from the +ve of the starter battery, I will connect that to the dc-dc charger and then the charger to the Leisure battery and the starter battery will charge the leisure battery?

So basically this chunky red cable runs from the +ve of the starter battery..

It should do, yes - via a fuse in the e-box.

.. I will connect that to the dc-dc charger and then the charger to the Leisure battery and the starter battery will charge the leisure battery?

Yes mate. It’s as simple as that (some DC chargers need an ignition live cable run to them in order to wake them up, but my Ring doesn’t, and is connected just as you say above).

I'm wiring in a 12v USB and cigarette socket into the rear of my 2018 T6 kombi. I've taken a feed from the ignition with the piggy back but unsure about the negative. There is a spare brown perm (-) from the interior light circuit... Can I use that?

If your at the back of the van then there’s an Earth post on the bottom of the D pillar that you can connect your negatives too

Hi @Dellmassive Sorry if in wrong place here I'm a newbie. I am converting a T6 kombi to camper but with double slider which is giving me some cable routing headaches.
I have managed to get a 16mm2 cable (fused at leisure battery with 50 amp.) up B pillar across above door and down C pillar to the rear panel. I was going to put a Fuse box here and run negative to point by rear lights. Is it ok to run a 6mm cable from the fuse box to the fridge. I have noticed that on your diagrams you run direct from battery to fridge. The shortest route would be battery to fridge under floor but I want to keep cables under floor to a minimum. Any advice appreciated.

Silly question - regarding Euro 6 transporters - do these still have 12V at fuse panel or will the voltage spike beyond 14V?
The same goes for connecting new circuits directly to the battery - don't you need some sort of DC-DC circuit in between?

I guess the question I'm asking is: Do the euro 6 VW transporters have some sort of OEM DC-DC converter between the battery and cabin electrics,
or do the van rely on each electrical component being able to handle euro 6 charging voltages?

The voltage can vary from 12-15v . . . . so it depends.

some 12v accessories can deal with the voltage swing. . . . ie USB chargers.

but other things . . . like LED strip lights don't like it.

so the fix it to fit a inline voltage regulator to stabilize the voltage.

example:

these ones have a 2A max through put . . .

1624138493919.png

+++

this example is a 6A version.

1624138644685.png

Back