Inverter - electrics questions..

GreystokeH

VIP Member
Hello everyone!

Just wondering how to go about adding an inverter to our T6.
Current setup has Victron Orion tr-smart DC/DC converter and a solar charge controller connected to leisure battery, usual EHU connected to fused consumer unit with Sargent PF200 switching Battery Charger and two 240V sockets.

Could I just swap the Sargent for a charger/inverter such as Victron energy MultiPlus 12/1600/70 1600VA (1300W)?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Jon

For answer you would need to know what size leisure battery you have and whether it’s lead acid, agm, gel, or lithium.
I cant answer your question but @Dellmassive would be able to help you.

John.

Start with the basics:

What battery (type capacity age) do you currently have?

What do you want to use an inverter for?

Yes, but that is a massive upgrade.

You need to check all your cabling is up to spec.... I'd assume not.... That Victron has a 70A charger built in.

And you will need 200Ah of lithium to run that inverter.

So as above @roadtripper , let's look at what you have now and go from there.

And as mentioned.... What do you plan on plugging into the inverter.?

Many thanks for your replies everyone, we're just looking at maybe plugging in our kettle and toaster (they're both low wattage - Kettle & Toaster 1000w each).
Trying to find out from the people who converted the van what type of battery as I cant see details anywhere (without taking out the drivers seat).

In inverter terms 1kw devices aren't really low wattage, they will put around an 85 amp load on your 12v system.

You'd be doing this off grid as well (otherwise you'll just use EHU) so you need to consider how you put that charge back in.

I would guess you have around a 100ah AGM system and as rough rule of thumb for capacity planning that means you have 50+60ah of usable capacity. 15 mins of inverter runtime making tea and toast for breakfast is going to consume about 20ah, a significant amount of the capacity.

What are the charging rates of your solar and Orion? Are you going to be doing enough driving each day to replace the energy or get enough sun?

Fully off grid 240v is possible but is a serious investment in kit and you need to consider how it is recharged. It's only when you generate your own power you realise just how much energy everyday devices take.

If what you are looking for is the ability to quickly make a cuppa on the road then that's more doable, though if you have gas that's already possible.

So what's your camping style? Are you looking to do this occasionally while you are on tour (so have plenty of engine charging) or are you wanting to spend several days parked up off grid?

Back