Battery cable crimping tool recommendation please

YellowHound

Photographer
VIP Member
T6 Legend
As per the title.

Lots of options but the reviews are mixed at best, though anything I buy will not see anything more than light use.

Been looking at the hydraulic options, like this ColdShine Hydraulic Crimper Tool Kit Tube Terminals Lugs Battery Cable Wire Crimping Force: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

I need to do some work on some battery connections and it seems worthwhile to buy the right tool.

Recommendations please.

TIA :thumbsup:

I bought this crimper last year for my dual battery installation and it worked very well. Also used it with Anderson connectors without any problems.

I've got the hydraulic one too . . . not to happy with it tbh . .

hold on thats no quite fair . . . . . .

the hydraulic works ok, but I've found i get better "cold welds" with other crimpers . . . . (I've managed to pull off some of the luggs from the hydro crimper)

I've got these . . . ill run through them with you.

EDIT: battery terminal are very important and must be on 100% tight and secure. - loose crimps will cause high resistance and heat and can also wick up moisture and corrode from inside.

so to test a good battery lug connection . . . i crimp it on . . . then double crimp it.

then get a fat screwdriver and pass it through the lug,, the stand on either side of the screw driver them pull up hard on the cable . . .

a properly crimped lug will not put off . . . .

1614076872313.png

Last edited:
I've got this one . . : HFS (R) 10T Hydraulic Wire Terminal Crimper Battery Cable Lug Crimping Tool W/9 Pairs Dies: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

if found that depending on the size of lug / terminal sometime you cant get the right size die.

its either too large or too small. I've tried going large, then recrimping small . . . but it just crushes the sides of the lug..

so it works fine if you have perfect size cable and lugs for the dies . . . . . . which for some reason i never seem to have ={

I've had this one for a few years now and dont bother using it any more.

HFS (R) 10T Hydraulic Wire Terminal Crimper Battery Cable Lug Crimping Tool W/9 Pairs Dies

1614076940329.png

next up . . . .

Last edited:
next up is this Durite one . . . . i love it.

you get to smash it with a hammer or crush it in a vice . . . great fun. :grin bounce:

the centre pin is sprung loaded , so you place the cable in the lug . . . then lift the sprung loaded pin and place the lug in the V notch . .

then place it all on a solid floor and smash it with a heavy hammer . . . =] (or put it in a vice and clamp down - i dont like that method)

the pin will crush the lug perfectly creating a very good connection.

i use this one for large gauge cables and battery terminals.

its a great tool provided you can smash the hammer on it . . . . if you are in a tight engine bay and need to add a lug then this might not be the best solution.

I've now seen a screw/ratchet version that clamps down with a ratchet/socket or screw gun (instead of the hammer action) . . . ill have to hunt one down and test.

Durite - Hammer/Vice H/D Crimping Tool for Large Tube Terminals - 0-703-90

1614077342759.png

4lb hammer . . .

OX Club Hammer - Sledgehammer with Fibreglass Handle - Forged and Induction Hardened Hammerhead - 4 lb / 1.8 kg

1614077410962.png

next up . . . .

Last edited:
next up is this beauty . . . my first port of call and go to large crimper.

it will crimp most large lugs and crimps . . . . if it fits on the gap . . . it will crimp it.

I've have some tough crimps before . . . and even with 15stone leaning down on it its not broke.

its big at 13 inches long.

this is the most used crimper for large cables.

i cant remember where i got it from now . . . but been using it a couple of years now.

1614077579624.png1614077632180.png

next up . .

next up is the other daily driver . . . .

if im not usning the yellow set above im using these . .

the good old HS-16 crimper . . . 1.5-16 mm² (15-5AWG)

i use these for everything else . . . Andersons, but connectors . . etc etc etc . . . i even used them for the red,blue,yellow crimps.

love them . . . . and they work great. - everyone who does some electricals should have a set of these.

1614078283368.png

1614078445322.png

Last edited:
If you‘re not an electrician it’s probably not going to get much use.
I picked up a good quality almost new item on Ebay at a fraction of the new price, there was plenty of choice.

Those cheap hydraulic ones work but fiddly. I had to use next size down dies as @Dellmassive says not a tight crimp so be careful. I've used hydraulic tools for cables to 300mm2 so a good set works well. The hand held ratchet type work well also. You really need to try them to see if they work well or get a decent set from a electrical wholesalers. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

On the back of this thread..... Does anyone use soft solder rather than crimp... I’m about to re cable my solar panels using Anderson Powerpole connectors and watched a YouTube Australian clip ....didn’t realise how easy ....but is it a better conducive joint :)

ps My solar setup is mobile and find the MC4 connectors don’t like being pulled apart

Back