Hi, newbie here. After some advice please. I have a red T6 2017 plate and have standard (boring) wheels on it. Can anyone advise on the best low profile 20" wheels and tyres to buy please and the best place to buy them from. I'd like to get ones that are red on the inner wheel wall (to match the van). Thanks

Hi guys,

I have 40/275 tyres on 20” rims.
Would it be possible to put 45/275 tyres on, or would they rub when putting on a full steering lock?

I'm not knowledgeable enough to offer advice on the subject of 20 inch tyre choices but the search function is your friend, top right of your screen.
I quickly found the following threads which do not directly answer your question but offer reliable and relevant information relating to it;

Last edited:
Hi I’m one of the lucky ones with a t28 1550kg so 775kg so I’m able to legally have 99 load rated tyres. I’m lowered around 40-50mm on comfort shocks from Steve at (CRS) I’m looking at 20” 8.5j 45et wheels what tyres would everyone recommend please? Thanks.

Hi I’m one of the lucky ones with a t28 1550kg so 775kg so I’m able to legally have 99 load rated tyres. I’m lowered around 40-50mm on comfort shocks from Steve at (CRS) I’m looking at 20” 8.5j 45et wheels what tyres would everyone recommend please? Thanks.
Decide on your preferred tyre size first before which actual make/model of tyre. 245 or 255 tyre width work best on an 8.5J wheel. 245/40/20 is close to VW standard sizing. 245/45/20 are a bit oversize but fill the arches up nicely. There will be 255 options as well. Plenty of all those sizes in 99 load upwards.

Just picked my van up after a service and the guys said my rears are a little on the stretched side

275/35/20 on 8.5" front and 10" rears.

Any advice, should I replace them?

Just picked my van up after a service and the guys said my rears are a little on the stretched side

My personal experience/view only: I would have thought that the fronts were more of an issue than the rears. 275 generally sits pretty perfect on a 10" wheel. My own experience is that 275 on 8.5" is not good as the wheel is too narrow for the tyre (the opposite of stretching, bulging?).

Last edited:

275 on a 10” rear look perfect in my opinion! :thumbsup:

So a stretched tyre is a tyre which is too narrow for the rim.
So I guess they are referring to the 10" rim, all the charts I can find online says it's within the correct limits, but I know the lower the tyre profile, the more stretched it can look.
Sometimes the tyre manufacturers website gives you rim width ranges for specific tyre sizes.
One classic sign of stretching is the tyre offers little or no protection to the rim against kerbing (when the wheel is parallel(ish) to the kerb. Does it look that way to you?

So a stretched tyre is a tyre which is too narrow for the rim.
So I guess they are referring to the 10" rim, all the charts I can find online says it's within the correct limits, but I know the lower the tyre profile, the more stretched it can look.
Sometimes the tyre manufacturers website gives you rim width ranges for specific tyre sizes.
One classic sign of stretching is the tyre offers little or no protection to the rim against kerbing (when the wheel is parallel(ish) to the kerb. Does it look that way to you?
Thanks for the replies. It’s too dark now but I’ll get a photo in the morning. I thought it looked fine and it’s never been mentioned before.

I wouldn't worry about it either. As indicated a 275 tyre is perfect on a 10" wheel. If it were me, when the fronts need changing, I would put slightly narrower tyres on the fronts. You will notice an improvement; I've been there with 8.5" wide wheels.

After much dithering (and annoying the wife with my constant wheel envy) I’ve just ordered some Calibre Altus20 9J’s and, like a lot of the posts on here I was offered the cheap tyre package, either in a 275/40 or a 255/35, load rating ok on both.
Seems cheap really is cheap as from the pro advice here a 265/40 would be better but the other two options are the widely available combos, hence a decent price for the package.
That said. I’m running a 30mm lowered T30 so won’t have the same load issues as a T32 and don’t plan to go any lower than its current springs so hopefully no issues with rub.
I’ve gone for the 275/40 to get a slightly better ride, coming off 18’s on 255/45 8.5.
Now though I’m a little concerned with the width - I’m seeing these as interim tyres until my numbers look ok again to go for some decent 265/40’s - what’s everyone’s thinking on the 255/35’s instead of the 275/40’s?
Note the package is on back order so time for me to change if the advice is the 255’s.
What a fun minefield!!

After much dithering (and annoying the wife with my constant wheel envy) I’ve just ordered some Calibre Altus20 9J’s and, like a lot of the posts on here I was offered the cheap tyre package, either in a 275/40 or a 255/35, load rating ok on both.
Seems cheap really is cheap as from the pro advice here a 265/40 would be better but the other two options are the widely available combos, hence a decent price for the package.
That said. I’m running a 30mm lowered T30 so won’t have the same load issues as a T32 and don’t plan to go any lower than its current springs so hopefully no issues with rub.
I’ve gone for the 275/40 to get a slightly better ride, coming off 18’s on 255/45 8.5.
Now though I’m a little concerned with the width - I’m seeing these as interim tyres until my numbers look ok again to go for some decent 265/40’s - what’s everyone’s thinking on the 255/35’s instead of the 275/40’s?
Note the package is on back order so time for me to change if the advice is the 255’s.
What a fun minefield!!
With the state of the roads around us "Pot-Holes / Pot-Craters" I would want enough sidewall rubber to protect my beautiful new alloys.
So a 255/35 has 255*.35 of side wall = 89mm of rubber ; 275/40 has 275*.40= 110mm of rubber. That is 24% more sidewall rubber which is a lot of extra protection.
A 255/45 would give you 115mm of rubber.
I would personally like around 110mm minimum of sidewall rubber

I would go with the 275/40 if they are you only two options, as @chriscroft says you will get a lot more sidewall than the 255/35. A 275 tyre is a tiny bit wide for a 9J wheel but not so bad. Is it not possible to order just the wheels and then the tyres separately so you can have exactly the ones that you want? You are going to be spending a lot of money and so seems 265/40 would be better in your scenario to get it right first time I suspect.

Also I couldn't relate to your comment ' I’ve gone for the 275/40 to get a slightly better ride, coming off 18’s on 255/45 8.5'. A 275/40 has less sidewall than a 255/40 (even though the overall diameter is more) so the ride is likely to be worse I think........

I would go with the 275/40 if they are you only two options, as @chriscroft says you will get a lot more sidewall than the 255/35. A 275 tyre is a tiny bit wide for a 9J wheel but not so bad. Is it not possible to order just the wheels and then the tyres separately so you can have exactly the ones that you want? You are going to be spending a lot of money and so seems 265/40 would be better in your scenario to get it right first time I suspect.

Also I couldn't relate to your comment ' I’ve gone for the 275/40 to get a slightly better ride, coming off 18’s on 255/45 8.5'. A 275/40 has less sidewall than a 255/40 (even though the overall diameter is more) so the ride is likely to be worse I think........

thanks Tsixty, I was thinking the 40 profile would be closer to the 45 than a 35, less of a jump down

thanks Tsixty, I was thinking the 40 profile would be closer to the 45 than a 35, less of a jump down

Ah yes I see what you mean you were comparing to the other option, the 255/35. I discovered the hard way that ride is also affected by really cheap tyres. Don't expect them to ride/handle as well as the same size in a more reputable make. 245/45/20 is also an option which is what I am running, as there is lots of choice in that size and the overall diameter is pretty much identical to 275/40/20

Last edited:
Back