275/40/20 on front wheels

I am looking to buy Leighton LV-1 wheels with there Uniroyal rainsport 5 tires are they any good?
I have these wheels and tyres. Nice and good quality but I’m swapping to a smaller tyre on the front when they wear out as there is a slight rub on full lock and a bit of road noise from them. (Lowered 40mm)

I have these wheels and tyres. Nice and good quality but I’m swapping to a smaller tyre on the front when they wear out as there is a slight rub on full lock and a bit of road noise from them. (Lowered 40mm)
Thanks for that. What size on the front will you have? I was thinking 245 45 20 and 275 40 20 on the back

Personally I prefer a 255/40/20 up front, it's slightly smaller diameter than 245/45/20. fine on a 8.5 or 9" rim and closer to OEM. With staggered rims it's nice to have 40 profiles front and rear if running 275/40/20. I'm a big fan of Uniroyal Rainsport 5's too, pretty much perfect tyre for these vans.

Last edited:
Personally I prefer a 255/40/20 up front, it's slightly smaller diameter than 245/45/20. fine on a 8.5 or 9" rim and closer to OEM. With staggered rims it's nice to have 40 profiles front and rear if running 275/40/20. I'm a big fan of Uniroyal Rainsport 5's too, pretty much perfect tyre for these vans.
That’s ok if you’ve not got a 4 motion as the 40 profile on the front 245/40 is smaller than the 40 profile on the 274/40 hence the need to go 245/45 on the front to keep the diameter the same.

That’s ok if you’ve not got a 4 motion as the 40 profile on the front 245/40 is smaller than the 40 profile on the 274/40 hence the need to go 245/45 on the front to keep the diameter the same.
Yes of course, forgot about the 4WD brethren amongst us ;)

Sorry to jump on the thread, just saw my tyres are close to end of life and currently have 8.5 x 20 Wolfrace wheels with 275 40 all round, I want to change the fronts to 245 45 to stop an bit of rubbing and they also look a bit bulbus, its not a 4 motion so will this be in keeping with 275 40 rears?

@Jonwm yes that’s fine. They will be the same circumference as the 275/40 on the rear. That isn’t strictly necessary for a 2wd but it’s a good combination and it’ll drive and steer much better.

275/40/20 are too wide for an 8.5" rim, as you said they look a bit bulbus, this is because they are too big and that budlge is basically excess tyre. You are going to cause an imbalance now between front and back where both axles will actually behave quite differently in the event of sudden cornering, the front will roll on the higher profile 45 but the narrower width will prevent it from too much lateral movement where as the back will be sliding around on all that excess rubber and will bite much slower than the front causing possibly some nasty unpredictable handling. If the back starts swinging as a result you're in trouble, its one thing if the front breaks traction as it's predictable and easy to correct but the back end is a totally different story. I'd be putting on 255/40/20 all round.

255 40 20 on 8.5j are a great size. I had ran 275 40 and 275 35 on previous T5.1 and 255 40 are certainly better for driveability, less rubbing and better speedo accuracy.

Apprentice the reply mate, issue I have is that mines a T32 and in that size its hard to find a 103 rated tyre

I’m running on 275 /35 zr21 all round but I’ve cracked a front wheel so if I kept these on the back and put 255/45 20 on front would it drive better and cope with the shite roads better

Just reading through a few wheel/tyre threads and there has been little mention of 255/35-20's , is this wall height considered as a bit on the low side ? Does it greatly affect the ride/handling ?

I ask as I'm in the market for alloy's + tyres , I'm in a fairly new 6.1 - T28 ,currently on the dreaded OEM Claytons, I'd originally intended going to 18" but availability of the model wheel I'm preferring is scarce but there's a 20" package available offering 275/40's or 255/35's , I'm not feeling the oversize 275's (not necessary as van is a daily driver that won't be converted to camper etc , just occasional transport of my motorcycle) , I'll maybe do something with the suspension eventually , once my knowledge on this subject makes me comfortable to commit budget !

Any advice here would be appreciated.

Last resort is to be patient and go with my first plan of a package for 255/45 18'S which would be a safe bet ( only in my opinion) but not fill the arches quite so well, but I'll get over that as I can't see it from behind the wheel !

Thanks in advance

20's on standard suspension is never great, I don't really like either of those tyre choices either. If the wheels are not staggered then 255/40/20 on a T28/T30 are a great size but I would definately consider lowering with quality shocks and springs at the same time.

Thanks for that Ben
I previously had 20's on a camper conversion I owned ( standard suspension) without noticing and problems with ride or handling , maybe you're meaning from a wear perspective ? I only did circa 16K on them before I sold the van , would there have been a legacy of excessive wear on the poor unsuspecting buyer ?
What would be the ideal suspension mods ( an idea of cost would be great too ) to do to a van that is little more than a 1 person transport vehicle on M'way & A roads for 90% of it's life ?

I still have a set of Hubert 20s for sale, staggered 8.5 and 10 inch. Not mint but the Crossclimate 275/40/20s all round have done less than 1000 miles. Selling for less than the tyres cost. Could be worth it for two sets of rears if the fronts are changed for new 245/45/20s.

Back