After much dithering (and annoying the wife with my constant wheel envy) I’ve just ordered some Calibre Altus20 9J’s and, like a lot of the posts on here I was offered the cheap tyre package, either in a 275/40 or a 255/35, load rating ok on both.
Seems cheap really is cheap as from the pro advice here a 265/40 would be better but the other two options are the widely available combos, hence a decent price for the package.
That said. I’m running a 30mm lowered T30 so won’t have the same load issues as a T32 and don’t plan to go any lower than its current springs so hopefully no issues with rub.
I’ve gone for the 275/40 to get a slightly better ride, coming off 18’s on 255/45 8.5.
Now though I’m a little concerned with the width - I’m seeing these as interim tyres until my numbers look ok again to go for some decent 265/40’s - what’s everyone’s thinking on the 255/35’s instead of the 275/40’s?
Note the package is on back order so time for me to change if the advice is the 255’s.
What a fun minefield!!
A 255/40 is a good option on 20s for a T30, the 275/40 is oversized and unnecessary for a T30. The 255/40 gives you all the load rating you need for a T30 and is closer to the standard OEM diameter and sits better on the 9” rim than a 275/40.

If you go for the 255/35 it will definitely be a cheap budget brand as they aren’t available load rated high enough from the more premium brands. That might not be a problem for you, but it’s worth mentioning.

After much dithering (and annoying the wife with my constant wheel envy) I’ve just ordered some Calibre Altus20 9J’s and, like a lot of the posts on here I was offered the cheap tyre package, either in a 275/40 or a 255/35, load rating ok on both.
Seems cheap really is cheap as from the pro advice here a 265/40 would be better but the other two options are the widely available combos, hence a decent price for the package.
That said. I’m running a 30mm lowered T30 so won’t have the same load issues as a T32 and don’t plan to go any lower than its current springs so hopefully no issues with rub.
I’ve gone for the 275/40 to get a slightly better ride, coming off 18’s on 255/45 8.5.
Now though I’m a little concerned with the width - I’m seeing these as interim tyres until my numbers look ok again to go for some decent 265/40’s - what’s everyone’s thinking on the 255/35’s instead of the 275/40’s?
Note the package is on back order so time for me to change if the advice is the 255’s.
What a fun minefield!!

Whats interesting here is the retailer you are dealing with isn’t offering the correct VW approved size tyre - 275/35-20, which will fit perfectly on a t30 and 9” rim. I would ask them for this size. If you want to 40 profile then go for a 265/40, as you’ve mentioned. These retailers are purely price led unfortunatly hence why offering the cheaper and more readily available sizes, as you have pointed out.

I’m happy to quote against them to see if we can put you on the correct tyre size for a good price first time round. I may be too late to this but always happy to quote or advise the forum correctly. However I would say 255/35 out of the 2 as it’s the nearest to the factory 205/65/16, whereas the 275/40 is oversize by 8.3%. Rule of thumb has always been not to exceed 5% if you can when going oversize.

it is indeed a minefield, not helped some of the big retailers.

Whats interesting here is the retailer you are dealing with isn’t offering the correct VW approved size tyre - 275/35-20, which will fit perfectly on a t30 and 9” rim. I would ask them for this size. If you want to 40 profile then go for a 265/40, as you’ve mentioned. These retailers are purely price led unfortunatly hence why offering the cheaper and more readily available sizes, as you have pointed out.

I’m happy to quote against them to see if we can put you on the correct tyre size for a good price first time round. I may be too late to this but always happy to quote or advise the forum correctly. However I would say 255/35 out of the 2 as it’s the nearest to the factory 205/65/16, whereas the 275/40 is oversize by 8.3%. Rule of thumb has always been not to exceed 5% if you can when going oversize.

it is indeed a minefield, not helped some of the big retailers.
Thanks BognorMotors, not too late as it’s on back order at the moment, I’ll pm you with the details

I've just bought a 2017 T6 T28 camper conversion and it has TTRS alloys on with 255/35/20 tyres rated 97XL, I've managed to kerb it already! I'm a bit concerned about the load rating after reading other tyre related threads, thoughts?

IMG_20210130_153557.jpg

Yes they are incorrectly rated, and will invalidate your insurance apart from being dangerous. Change them up for a correctly rated 275/35-20, which will also offer more rim protection (oooo-er!)

Yes they are incorrectly rated, and will invalidate your insurance apart from being dangerous. Change them up for a correctly rated 275/35-20, which will also offer more rim protection (oooo-er!)
Thanks for reply, what load rating should I be looking for on the 275/35-20 tyres?

They mostly come in a 102, which is more than sufficient for your axle ratings. This is the VW approved tyre size for the 20" rim up tot T30. This works perfectly on a 9" rim, if yours are 8.5" rim then look at a 265/40 20.

Depednant on your budget we would always recommend the Goodyear Assymetric F1 tyre - Quiet, good in the rain and last well

HTH

Thanks for reply, what load rating should I be looking for on the 275/35-20 tyres?
You could go for 99’s, but I found more choice at 102 load rate. They don’t affect the ride much, but are a bit tougher.

You could go for 99’s, but I found more choice at 102 load rate. They don’t affect the ride much, but are a bit tougher.
I think generally t28s need 100 minimum, but i have a t28 with 1550kg on both front and rear so can get away with 99 as you say. I think it would be best for @Jay71 to confirm his axles weights first.

I've just bought a 2017 T6 T28 camper conversion and it has TTRS alloys on with 255/35/20 tyres rated 97XL, I've managed to kerb it already! I'm a bit concerned about the load rating after reading other tyre related threads, thoughts?

View attachment 101872
Did you buy that from a conversion company? I would be taking it back, surely a conversion company is responsible for fitting correctly load rated wheels and tyres. Not fit for purpose surely?

View attachment 101872

If you bought it from a company then I would be taking it back!

Reactions: Abx
Best you phone them today - And 99 tyres will do but the majority will be in 102 in the 275/35

Shocking how companies still put vehicles out there with incorrect tyres!!!

Shocking that conversion companies do this. Remember as @BognorMotors said, you will also need to find out the width of your wheels to make the absolutely right decision. If they are 9" rims 275/35/20 is perfect. If they are 8.5" rims you would be much better with 265/40/20

Back