275/40/20 on front wheels

Hi guys, its always been an interesting topic selecting tyres. I can only give you my own account of Tyre choices, and up to now they have served me really well. I bought them in May 2021 and would stay with the same tyre size.

I ended up going for 265/40/20, front and back. No rear offset or spaces used, mounted on Land Rover Discovery 511's with an 8.5 J. 1st pair were Hankook Ventus S1 Evo3 for the rear and the 2nd pair were Goodyear Eagle Sport M&S up front. I say M&S - they look like a normal high speed tread pattern really but with additional micro grooves. I've run both combinations on the front and back but the Goodyear has an excellent rim protector so they stay on the front. Both tyres offer rim protection as the side walls are not flat to the alloys.

Cosmetically they look nice but performance has been brilliant. Mine's a T30 102 so it's bit of a slug setting off but it stops and corners well even when loaded up. Yes slightly noisier than the standard wheels and definitely heavier on the steering, but because I'm not that lead-footed anymore, I'm getting 40-45 mpg on runs and they've done approx' 11,000 miles now. Like a few on here, I don't run these all year round. I've got the original Claytons with Semperit VanGrip 2's up front for winter - another good tyre in my opinion. Anyway, I hope it helps with the decision making. Oddly, only the O/S on full right hand lock on certain cambers makes contact with the inner arch protector. There's never any contact on the left hand lock ?? One other thing to note is that the speedo is accurate up to 50mph but then runs slower than the GPS states as you'd expect.

I'll try and load some pics to give you an idea. Mines on B12's and lowered 50mm. I've had some time away from the Forum in the last year so it might not happen straight away. :thumbsup:

20210517_163216.jpg

20210518_143414.jpg

20220506_204340.jpg

20230610_121506.jpg

For anyone mildly interested, here's what 275 40 and 245 45 Uniroyal Rainsports on 8.5 x 20'' rims look like. Rears are a little balloony. Fronts are a little stretched. 30mm width makes a large difference on how the tyre sits on the rim. If I were buying again, not sure what I'd choose, maybe leave the front as is and reconsider the rear. Don't think I'd go 245 on the rear nor 275 again. A 245 on the rear would give the impression of a far larger arch gap. At least with the 275 I'm far less likely to kerb the wheel.

FYI the rear also has a 15mm spacer

IMG_4823.jpegIMG_4824.jpeg

Back