275/40/20 on front wheels

I've read this whole thread and none the wiser. :) TBH thats nornal for me.
I want a set of 20 inch rims, inovit speed fitted on my T6 T32 FWD but leighton vans are supplying tyres and fittting with komfort shocks. They are saying 275/40 all round. 8.5 inch front and 10 inch rear.

Just reading through a few wheel/tyre threads and there has been little mention of 255/35-20's , is this wall height considered as a bit on the low side ? Does it greatly affect the ride/handling ?

I ask as I'm in the market for alloy's + tyres , I'm in a fairly new 6.1 - T28 ,currently on the dreaded OEM Claytons, I'd originally intended going to 18" but availability of the model wheel I'm preferring is scarce but there's a 20" package available offering 275/40's or 255/35's , I'm not feeling the oversize 275's (not necessary as van is a daily driver that won't be converted to camper etc , just occasional transport of my motorcycle) , I'll maybe do something with the suspension eventually , once my knowledge on this subject makes me comfortable to commit budget !

Any advice here would be appreciated.

Last resort is to be patient and go with my first plan of a package for 255/45 18'S which would be a safe bet ( only in my opinion) but not fill the arches quite so well, but I'll get over that as I can't see it from behind the wheel !

Thanks in advance
I run 255/35/20s all round on my van 9x20
Upfront and 10.5x20 on the rear (good bit of stretch) If you’re not planning to go seriously low or onto air I wouldn’t recommend going for this tyre size. One good thing is there isn’t any buffing on full lock with this size.

I want a set of 20 inch rims, inovit speed fitted on my T6 T32 FWD but leighton vans are supplying tyres and fittting with komfort shocks. They are saying 275/40 all round. 8.5 inch front and 10 inch rear.
Simple and straightforward ….. 275/40/20 are too wide for 8.5 wheel. Some debate this but they also look too wide and if used on the front, give horrible feel to the steering. They also chuck a lot of crap up the sides of your Van. This size tyre is only punted by traders as it’s cheap.

Here you go mate, don't do it on 8.5 lol

tyres.jpg

tyres 2.jpg

It makes no sense to have staggered rims but use the same size tyres / square setup. Just because some companies do it does not make it right !
The same size tyres on different width rims will behave quite differently due to the amount of lateral roll and will lead to unpredictable handling. There will be different points at which the front and rear tyres will break traction, not too bad if its the front beacuse its predictable and easier to correct but if the rear breaks first then all bets are off as to where and which way up you're going to come to a stop.

The chart below in pretty much universal and used everywhere.

1687867016719.png

It makes no sense to have staggered rims but use the same size tyres / square setup. Just because some companies do it does not make it right !
The same size tyres on different width rims will behave quite differently due to the amount of lateral roll and will lead to unpredictable handling. There will be different points at which the front and rear tyres will break traction, not too bad if its the front beacuse its predictable and easier to correct but if the rear breaks first then all bets are off as to where and which way up you're going to come to a stop.

The chart below in pretty much universal and used everywhere.

View attachment 203698
Thanks Ben, chart is very useful. So the only benefit of having staggered is purely aesthetic. On a powerful rear wheel drive, I get it.

So same rim width all round and say 9.5 inch with 255 to 265s. Or staggered 8.5 inch with 265/40 and 10inch rear with 275/40

Thanks Ben, chart is very useful. So the only benefit of having staggered is purely aesthetic. On a powerful rear wheel drive, I get it.

So same rim width all round and say 9.5 inch with 255 to 265s. Or staggered 8.5 inch with 265/40 and 10inch rear with 275/40
Yep pretty much, 9 is quite common all round so 255/40/20 are nice. If you have a 4 motion with staggered, usually 8" and 10" you have to have tyres that are the same rolling radius so 245/45/20 and 275/40/20 work.

If you want some proper reference info, try this.

Approved rim width for a given the tyre width varies with sidewall profile.

Some on here aren’t really interested in proper technical information though.

Note, you can get exemptions and deviations on fitment to wider/narrower rims from the various tyre manufacturers if you contact them. So the ETRTO tables are only a guide.

Not all tyre brands sizes are physically identical. Both these tyre brands are 275 40 20 on 8.5’’ rims. Uniroyal Rainsport on the rear and Catchfors Ditchfinder on the front. So you need to understand the brands physical dimensions not just the size written on the sidewall.

My fronts will be replaced for 245 45 20 Rainsports soon which should be very similar to the current 275 40 Ditchfinder. IMG_4322.jpegIMG_4323.jpeg

Last edited:
Stumbled upon this thread as have a problem with rubbing on my T32 4 Motion - running 275/40 r20s lowered 40mm on H&Rs - Avon Zx7 all round.

Read through the entire thread and sounds like I'd be better swapping the fronts to 245/45 r20 and that would fix the rubbing and probably handle better with the Uniroyal Rainsport 5 well recommended too.

Appreciate any help and input - the 275/40 R20s were on there from the dealer originally so I assumed that was the right size when I replaced them 2 years ago.

Stumbled upon this thread as have a problem with rubbing on my T32 4 Motion - running 275/40 r20s lowered 40mm on H&Rs - Avon Zx7 all round.

Read through the entire thread and sounds like I'd be better swapping the fronts to 245/45 r20 and that would fix the rubbing and probably handle better with the Uniroyal Rainsport 5 well recommended too.

Appreciate any help and input - the 275/40 R20s were on there from the dealer originally so I assumed that was the right size when I replaced them 2 years ago.
Not only does a 245 45 20 give the same side shot look it wont rub even down to 80 mm and the side wall is the same size as a 275 40 20 tyre its just narrower
improved economy as less rolling resistance and probably more grip too
Just check the wheel width and see what it is 8.5 hopefully max 9 inch ( 9J)

Not only does a 245 45 20 give the same side shot look it wont rub even down to 80 mm and the side wall is the same size as a 275 40 20 tyre its just narrower
improved economy as less rolling resistance and probably more grip too
Just check the wheel width and see what it is 8.5 hopefully max 9 inch ( 9J)
Cracking - appreciate the help and speedy answer.

They're 9s - these ones in fact - Worx Wraith Black and Polished alloys with Tyres - so looks like I#m good with the 245 45 20s. Will get them ordered. :thumbsup:

Back