I contacted the seller and they will arrange for tyres to be changed when we can get to them again after this lockdown. Their tyre man had said because van wasn't carrying work loads then the 97 was ok!

Good result.
VW themselves do it. And some of the bigger names.
Check this out. T32 with Axe ex15 which I know are 850 kg, not the 860 kg they need to be.
25C6D95E-6A88-4AD6-B921-DC3311F9954E.jpeg

I wonder if anyone has any direct experience of an insurer not paying out due to underrated wheels or tyres, or is it just internet bs? Surely they would have to demonstrate they were being used out of tolerance at the time of the incident.

Also, don’t fit overly wide tyres for the rim.

View attachment 101974

Bit of a pinch of salt with this info, which is incorrect in some areas, ETRTO actually states that in 9” for example, 40 and 35 profiles with 275 works, hence also being the VW recommended width in 35 profile for T30 and below on their 9” x 20” Supermetal Trident.

It’s a minefield out there and you have to be careful with data online

Bit of a pinch of salt with this info, which is incorrect in some areas, ETRTO actually states that in 9” for example, 40 and 35 profiles with 275 works, hence also being the VW recommended width in 35 profile for T30 and below on their 9” x 20” Supermetal Trident.

It’s a minefield out there and you have to be careful with data online
Yes, 275/35 ‘works’ right at the lower end for a 9j, but less than ideal for a 8.5” as some companies seem to fit. ETRTO also leans towards a less bulbous side wall by going upto 11 for this size. This is typical throughout their data, so always best to target the mid point rather than the extremes.

The chart is fairly typical and has proved to be bang on for me over the years.
I usually pick the wider of the two options in the ideal size column and the fit has always been excellent.

If overly wide tyres are fitted, then the ‘turn in’ and handling in general becomes increasingly vague the bigger the tyres are relative to the rim by. Obvs less of an issue on rear, but still relevant. I appreciate it’s not a race car, but I still want to enjoy the drive.

It also limits lowering on the front if that’s your thing, and just totally unnecessary in my opinion.

only ‘pro’ is that it offers more curb protection.

Even 265/40 is not listed for an 8.5 according to ETRTO.

Last edited:
I am trying to decide what to spec on a new T6.1 Kombi LWB and I think a 19 Wolfrace Dortmund is a good looking wheel. So are tyres rated to 102 sufficient ? I’m looking at 245/45R19 is this size going to work front and back ?

I am trying to decide what to spec on a new T6.1 Kombi LWB and I think a 19 Wolfrace Dortmund is a good looking wheel. So are tyres rated to 102 sufficient ? I’m looking at 245/45R19 is this size going to work front and back ?

No sir. On a T32 you need a 103. Dependant on wheels. Either a 255/45 or a 275/40

If you need a price on the van or the extras or both. Don’t hesitate to get in touch

HTH

I currently have 20" alloys with 275/40 tyres on and am about to lower the van (T30) by 40-50mm with B14s.
My rear tyres are almost new, but the fronts need replacing. Was thinking about getting a 265/40 tyres for the front to help stop potential rubbing, is this a good idea or should I stick to the 275/40?

I currently have 20" alloys with 275/40 tyres on and am about to lower the van (T30) by 40-50mm with B14s.
My rear tyres are almost new, but the fronts need replacing. Was thinking about getting a 265/40 tyres for the front to help stop potential rubbing, is this a good idea or should I stick to the 275/40?
Definitely go with the 265/40’s! :thumbsup:

HI,
I'm wondering what tyres people are using on their T6's with 20" wheels. I've a currently got Haida 921 275/40zr20 106w xl, but need to replace one of the rear tyres due to a problem with the side wall. Wondering if I should replace one like for like or both rears for something better in terms of noise and fuel efficiency? Most of the mileage I'll be doing will be motorway, and the van's a T28.

Thanks everyone!

Fuel efficiency and 20" wheels sadly don't go together. And if you're only replacing a pair at most..
My favourites are Goodyear Eagle F1s.

Oh interesting, I thought fuel efficency increased with wheel diameter, learn something new.... I'll take a look at the F1's. Thanks!

Generally a larger wheel and tyre will increase both the mass and inertia, so more energy required to move it.

Back