Leisure battery charging when van not in use.

Any thoughts on how good the NOCO genius 10 is for £90 anyone?

I've got the NOCO 15A version which is awesome.

they have a 26A version too:

10A version.

The Black cased ones are the new 2020 versions,

available in 1,2,5,10,26A

and now even 2x2A and 4x2A (for multiple batteries)

as a comparison look at the Victron 10A, which now has a sweet Bluetooth function for logging

and heres an overview : https://www.t6forum.com/threads/battery-chargers-how-i-did-it.10812/

Any thoughts on how good the NOCO genius 10 is for £90 anyone?

I have the genius 5 and it’s brilliant, the 10 was £120 so the current offer at £89 is a bit of a bargain - might get one myself just hope the cig socket can handle it ok the 5 works beautifully through it but is a bit slow on a discharged battery so the 10 should speed things up.

So, a few questions regarding the leisure battery and mains hook up....

When should I think about maintaining the charge on my NEW leisure battery when the van is not in use for a 'period of time'? What is classed as a 'period of time'?
I've noticed folk with caravans parked up at home on their driveways always seem to have the charging lead attached so I guess this is left on constantly over winter?
And I guess it is ok to make up a charging lead with a 13a 3pin domestic plug on one end and plug it straight into the ring main, with the other end connected to the mains hook up point?
Is it frowned upon to make up mains hook up leads in any colour but orange?
Thanks T6ers!

I may be able to help you a little here.. I have a leisure battery fitted to my van.. i tend to keep it plugged in when I can just to keep it topped up. If your leaving it for a period of time then it would be advised to keep it plugged in if possible. Is there anything draining your battery when left standing?

I have a CTEK battery charger linked to my electrical hook up. there is nothing wrong with making a 13a plug top. You can get 13a plug to 16a blue commando plug adaptors. Or direct changer attachment to the battery.

you can make the lead in any colour you want. Generally the cable used is arctic grade Which will be able to cope with temperature increase and decrease.

Ok thanks for your advice @Jayjmac.
I don think there is anything draining the battery when left standing but I've heard these days that with modern vehicles there is 'background' usage?
How do you manage to link a Ctek charger to the hook up....I have one but not sure if its suitable for a Lifos battery?...All new to me.
Guess we are talking 2.5mm 3 core artic ?

As Jayjmac says I also have mine permanently plugged in and once a week I turn on the inbuilt charger for a day to keep the leisure battery charged. My brother however just leaves his turned on permanently I guess both methods work just fine.
Incidentally I also have a standalone charger plugged into the dash cig lighter socket which I also turn on to keep the vehicle battery charged.
My hook up cable is blue (which I think denotes arctic grade) but the cable I use on holiday is orange so that it is clearly visible and not a trip hazard.
The plug adapter you mentioned are readily available on Amazon/Ebay.

It depends on your set up.. I’m not really experienced in camper conversions or proper battery set ups. I solely have a leisure battery to run my BlackVue dash cam, various USB outlets, JL audio amp, rear lights and battery chargers for makita batteries. If I leave mine for any period then I have to plug it in as the BlackVue camera is recording 24/7 so it will drain the battery.

for your lithium battery you’ll need a special trickle charger/conditioner. Same as mine but the lithium version. CTEK do one. I’ve directly attached it to the battery with the ring crimp lead provided and essentially as soon as you plug it in it will start its charge cycle.

@Dellmassive is your man if you want to delve deeper and especially as you have a lifos.

1.5mm would be the minimum I would use because that is protected by the 13a fuse in the plug top. Bigger is always better as they say.. you can use 2.5 but just more aggro to get it in the plug top :think smile bounce:

Just picking up on an old thread with what I hope a relevant question!

I intend to fit a Victron Blue Smart 12v/15a 3 output to charge both the starter and leisure batteries when on 240 HU
Starter and leisure batteries connected by Victron DC-DC charger.

Would the charger cause a conflict?

My thought process being that even with ignition off the charge to the start battery in certain circumstances would 'open' the DC-DC charger and start charging the leisure battery.

This is what happens when I charge our starter battery. The Ablemail DC-DC charger kicks in and charges the leisure battery. I see this as a bonus :)

Pete

Just picking up on an old thread with what I hope a relevant question!

I intend to fit a Victron Blue Smart 12v/15a 3 output to charge both the starter and leisure batteries when on 240 HU
Starter and leisure batteries connected by Victron DC-DC charger.

Would the charger cause a conflict?

My thought process being that even with ignition off the charge to the start battery in certain circumstances would 'open' the DC-DC charger and start charging the leisure battery.

we called that feature "Auto VSR" - where the DC_DC charger will come to life when the engine is off due to the mains charger on the starter.

if you plan to connect the new Victron triple output charger they will work together - sort of.

depending on what the charger profiles you set.

The mains charger will start to charge both battery's as per normal, as per the profile . . . .

but when the starter battery voltage rises the Vic Orion DC-DC will kick in as well . . .

both chargers will cycle on/off/up/down/left/right depending on what current they are delivering and the voltage on each battery.

ultimately both battery's will get a full charge, but tracing the actual current flow and power can be a bit tricky.

++++

also remember the Batterys need to the same chemestry for the tripple charger !! ( ie AGM + AGM )

++++

more info here:

POWER:

Reactions: mmi
we called that feature "Auto VSR" - where the DC_DC charger will come to life when the engine is off due to the mains charger on the starter.

if you plan to connect the new Victron triple output charger they will work together - sort of.

depending on what the charger profiles you set.

The mains charger will start to charge both battery's as per normal, as per the profile . . . .

but when the starter battery voltage rises the Vic Orion DC-DC will kick in as well . . .

both chargers will cycle on/off/up/down/left/right depending on what current they are delivering and the voltage on each battery.

ultimately both battery's will get a full charge, but tracing the actual current flow and power can be a bit tricky.

++++

also remember the Batterys need to the same chemestry for the tripple charger !! ( ie AGM + AGM )

++++

more info here:

POWER:

Many thanks for the feedback.

Noted on the battery type. I have the factory fitted second battery under a single passenger seat - although the battery is missing!! Wiring present and J7 pulled. So I have free scope to get a new battery to match starter battery type

added info on the triple charger,

same chemistry battery's needed,
battery's are FET isolated internally,
power is split between them

answered · Aug 27 2019 at 11:34 PM BEST ANSWERACCEPTED ANSWER

+++

Dear Jürgen,

Functionality, with respect to the 3 outputs, the Phoenix Smart IP43 Charger is similar to the Blue Smart IP22 Charger.

Both have in fact an integrated FET battery isolator.

In this way is it possible to charge both batteries with a single charger while keeping the batteries isolated. Charging current is divided among the batteries depending on battery state of charge in combination with battery parameters and other circuit parameters.

Both batteries will follow the same charge cycle. There is no individual charge cycle for each separate battery.

For optimal charging results and battery life use the same cable thickness and length to connect each individual battery.

+++

Many thanks for the feedback.

Noted on the battery type. I have the factory fitted second battery under a single passenger seat - although the battery is missing!! Wiring present and J7 pulled. So I have free scope to get a new battery to match starter battery type
If you go down this route, you are reducing your future options for going down the Lithium Leisure route. Personally I avoid “all in one” solutions as they can be inflexible going forward.
Just my 2 penneth fwiw.

If you go down this route, you are reducing your future options for going down the Lithium Leisure route. Personally I avoid “all in one” solutions as they can be inflexible going forward.
Just my 2 penneth fwiw.
Agreed regards to the "All-In_one" route . .

but there is an easy option for him with the kit hes got. (if he get a Lithium in future).

just connect the Victron 240 charger to the starter battery alone (on AGM profile) and let the DC-DC charger top up the leisure battery (on Lifepo4 profile).

or

if hes a power user and needs more power on the LB side, then connect the Vic 240 charger to the LB side alone (on lifepo4 profile), then use a "AMT12-2 smart trickle charger" to back charge the starter from the LB. (set to Lifepo4 LB and AGM starter)

as in here:

1636800048400.png

++++

if he goes for AGM/AGM then just connect the vict 240 charger to both batteries.

I use a dedicated 240v lifepo4 battery charger for my lifepo4 leisure battery and a separate 240v smart battery charger for my starter battery .
Due to different charging profiles I think this is better for both batteries.
Of course this is only relevant when mixing battery types.

Thanks for the feedback. I've actually got a blank canvas as haven't started the conversion yet, so no kit purchased.

I like the idea of future proofing and I have lots of other stuff to install!

Considering the feedback I might just install a Victron IP65 charger under the bonnet and set up two connection plugs to each battery independently. Over winter when the vans on the drive I can plug into starter battery and then in the summer just switch the plug to the leisure battery for when on campsite EHU

Back