Leisure battery charging when van not in use.

I do have a T6 with start/stop. I’ve spent hours reading through lots of posts in this forum, and watching some of your videos too! i purchased two of the BM2 bluetooth battery monitors off the back of posts in this forum! I’ll get on it, starting with the Victron battery charger and probably the CTEK D250se which seems very popular as I may venture into solar. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
I have the Renogy and highly recommend that or the CTEK (have heard good things). And also ties in solar too

Which Renogy product please boopzz?
Have a look on Dells Post he linked. I've got the Renogy DCC50S. The main limitation I see it having is its got a max solar input of 25V which limits you to solar panels of about 120w max. You can of course parallel them to get more connected. I just looked at the CTEK one and looks like that only has a 20A charge whereas the Renogy has 50A. Not sure if the CTEK has Bluetooth though, which the Renogy does not.

Renogy has released a bluetooth APP. And module.

BT-2

And as above...you can have up to around 400w on the Renogy.. just wire in parallel.

I've had 320w on mine before.

Renogy has released a bluetooth APP. And module.

BT-2

And as above...you can have up to around 400w on the Renogy.. just wire in parallel.

I've had 320w on mine before.
I was going to whinge that this isn't supported by the DCC50S but this is the updated module! Nice! However hooking upto an IoT backend and producing stats is much better for me. Also I can check the output and status from anywhere then, rather than having to be in ~10 metres.

Ok, I purchased the Victron 12/15 charger and it’s all connected up. However, I only expected it charge the leisure battery but it appears to be charging the starter battery too! Is this correct? A graph of both batteries attached.

294CAAFF-7AC4-4D96-92F9-F6ACC5AE5CFA.png

5B719410-0806-401A-B1F5-C98F64CA6A35.png

F1344DCE-484F-4052-9034-B126EE20F98C.jpeg
So is it a problem as the charger will compensate for this, or are its algorithms calculated on a single battery?

It will charge both batteries via that relay but neither will charge fully due to the batteries being different. Your leisure battery won't charge properly from the van either. You need a DC-DC charger. You could fit a switch in the black wire from the relay to turn it off and allow proper charging of the leisure battery from your Victron charger.

Thank you. I’ve been given that advice earlier this week, I just need to add it to my list of things to do! Thanks, Scott

@travelvolts I’ve recently fitted a VICTRON BATTERY CHARGER SMART UK 12 VOLT IP22 20 Amp 3 Outputs (without cutting off the plug I might add) to replace my PB10 mk6 dumb charger.
Im just investigating my vans electrics a little further and it seems my split charging is handled by a TEC3M relay. Are these suitable or does it need attention? Reading up on them suggests they aren’t correct to handle a campers needs? My vans a leisure drive vivante, I’m not 100% what the battery sizes are at the minute? Thanks

The TEC3M relay is certainly not suitable for your needs! You need a DC-DC charger. How easy or difficult it will be to rectify this matter depends on the location of your leisure battery and the existing cable used to supply the TEC3M. If you can investigate further and perhaps send some photos, would be a great help.

Ok this is the best pic I could get atm, I’m away at Croyde bay.
Access isn’t really that much of a problem. I suppose if the correct cables are in place, the question is are they of the correct gauge? Cheers4B1DA200-15EB-4E6E-81FE-302827C338ED.jpeg

I also went for a victon 12/15 smart charger to act as a charger and power supply for my leisure battery ( I have a multivan) whilst parked up for the 1 or 2 times each year I use the van as a camper.

I'm aware the batteries will be at different states until I start the engine but that doesnt bother me, for what I need it's fine.

I also went for a victon 12/15 smart charger to act as a charger and power supply for my leisure battery ( I have a multivan) whilst parked up for the 1 or 2 times each year I use the van as a camper.

I'm aware the batteries will be at different states until I start the engine but that doesnt bother me, for what I need it's fine.

@Fluff34567 I got the one with 3 outlets with the intention of sorting a separate feed to the van battery( and maybe one back inside the garage to keep my classic charged). Of course if it’s finding it’s way through the split charging system then that will have to be addressed first.

Just inadequate for the new charger. Pretty useless for what is already fitted as well. As long as there is a fuse at each battery it should be safe.

Back