I'm booked in with Jason -absolut5/6 for new speakers to front, new cross overs, new 3 channel amp, and sub under drivers seat plus dynamat. I just thought someone who knows T5/T6 like the back of his hand, and is also an ICE man, why not? I think the bits are hertz speakers/JL amp/JL sub plus all the bits and bobs to make it sing. Apparently it is a really popular upgrade, but for less you can use Rainbow speakers with or without an amp and get good results also. I really don't want to change the head unit, and I am assured Jason can make it sing real sweeeeeet:):):)
I think I'm booked in early Oct, also fitting an inverter and extra 12v sockets to run off the factory installed second battery.

Something I've not thought about.... Until now, that set up sounds sweet as @chriscroft .
I take it it's all fitting where they already are ?

Something I've not thought about.... Until now, that set up sounds sweet as @chriscroft .
I take it it's all fitting where they already are ?
I think you suffered "auto correct":), I'm going on a 400mile+ trip to salisbury to have it fitted, all done in 1 day, (sounds like a big days work). According to Jason you need to be really careful when you spec up improvements to oem head units, as they are very sensitive. When I look at what's involved, and how many possible combinations tweaks/adjustments there are on the crossovers and 3way amp; and how precious the integrity of my new T6 is; I think (hope) the journey is well work while. :):)

Have to say, the system in the Cali (8 speakers) isn't bad at all. Better than our last one.
If I was being fussy I'd add a sub and amp (no idea where I'd fit them) and maybe upgrade the speakers a bit but for general listening, its fine.

Have to say, the system in the Cali (8 speakers) isn't bad at all. Better than our last one.
If I was being fussy I'd add a sub and amp (no idea where I'd fit them) and maybe upgrade the speakers a bit but for general listening, its fine.
Think my Vel will have the same system as a Cali. I listen to radio 4 a lot, and it is absolutely fine for that no doubt; but for music it is pretty poor compared to a home system or decent car system.
One thing I can't get around, is that it will go to sleep after 20mins when the ignition is off, even I switch the power supply to the second battery. All due to the can-bus smart systems. Only changing the head unit to an aftermarket can get round that (which I don't want to do)
Is the Cali the same?

Think my Vel will have the same system as a Cali. I listen to radio 4 a lot, and it is absolutely fine for that no doubt; but for music it is pretty poor compared to a home system or decent car system.
One thing I can't get around, is that it will go to sleep after 20mins when the ignition is off, even I switch the power supply to the second battery. All due to the can-bus smart systems. Only changing the head unit to an aftermarket can get round that (which I don't want to do)
Is the Cali the same?

Maybe it's a matter of preference but I do think it's okay - not much separation and my other car system (in the BMW; upgraded), home hifi and even my B&O wireless BT speaker (with 240W) kick it's butt but it's not terrible like many OEM systems. Yep it switches off but having had to bump start our old Cali because the stereo (with satnav) killed the battery, I'm not too worried.

Streams music well though, switches on straight away and the telephone BT is crystal clear.

I'll have to see what its like. I could have speked up the dynaudio system, but I only care about the front 2 seats, and not the whole 7 seat cabin. Also these £1500 ish factory upgrades gives you little in my experience. Its only the £6k factory upgrades that amaze. I think my 3 speakers and 1 amp upgrade should make a huge difference. I'll just have to wait.:)

I'll have to see what its like. I could have speked up the dynaudio system, but I only care about the front 2 seats, and not the whole 7 seat cabin. Also these £1500 ish factory upgrades gives you little in my experience. Its only the £6k factory upgrades that amaze. I think my 3 speakers and 1 amp upgrade should make a huge difference. I'll just have to wait.:)

Just replacing my two front (terrible) Subaru speakers (for JL Audio) and fully sound deadening the doors made a huge difference.

yep. What make is the stereo in the scooby? Scoobies have a reputation for engineering excellence. I am sometimes a little more sceptical with VW. I am not sure the amp is that good in the Vel:(. But I know Absolut5/6 have said that the speaker upgrade is defiantly a worthwhile route. I am hoping to keep this van 10-12years, so when I amortise capital expenditure it comes out at £2pw for sweeeeet sounds; so long as it doesn't blow up:mad:

No amp in the Cali/Velle AFAIK.

The system in the Subaru had the most comically awful speakers I've seen in a while. And no AUX plug (it's 2006)! Luckily the BM has a half decent amp, subs and a few fairly good speakers.

No amp in the Cali/Velle AFAIK.

The system in the Subaru had the most comically awful speakers I've seen in a while. And no AUX plug (it's 2006)! Luckily the BM has a half decent amp, subs and a few fairly good speakers.[/QUOTE

No separate amp, it is integrated into the oem head unit.

I have never found an OE system that had good speakers so would always upgrade them. The head unit may be more subjective but as I haven't ordered the whizo VW one in my Kombi I am going for the Pioneer upgrade. If nothing else I'll be able to see the screen when the sun is shinning.

And of course having a day out at @Absolut5 to have properly without any hassles. Jason fitted the Kenwood and speaker upgrade to our T5.

I ended up hating our Kenwood (dealer fitted) system in the old Cali; took forever to boot up, killed the battery twice, satnav was painful to update and use, BT handsfree was rubbish, appalling radio reception.

Standard stereo (with BT, music streaming and DAB) plus a good Garmin portable has been MUCH better.

Not paying for factory fit satnav again. Although it's now free in the new M140i which I'm eyeing up...

I have never paid for factory upgrade audio as I can do better going aftermarket.
However Ice is a God dam expensive hobby of mine.

Spent thousands before the van has even arrived.

The system absolut5 offer is a good well rounded system and should please most people quite well.

I have never paid for factory upgrade audio as I can do better going aftermarket.
However Ice is a God dam expensive hobby of mine.

Spent thousands before the van has even arrived.

The system absolut5 offer is a good well rounded system and should please most people quite well.

What's going in? Sounds pretty major!

Paid for an upgrade in the BM as it was a bit of a bargain (under £300 for an amp, extra speakers and two subs) and looks OEM but I know a decently installed system would sound better.

Alpine x801d-u
Hybrid Audio l1pro we tweeters
Hybrid Audio l6se mid bass
Hybrid Audio Claus 12" sub running infinite baffle on the bulkhead
Hybrid Audio l2x crossovers if I decide to not go active.
Genesis s3 5 channel ltd for the sub and midbass
Genesis st60 modified for the tweeters
Much sound deadening

So what recommendations do people have on a mid price speaker change out in the cab to improve the sound ?

Alpine x801d-u
Hybrid Audio l1pro we tweeters
Hybrid Audio l6se mid bass
Hybrid Audio Claus 12" sub running infinite baffle on the bulkhead
Hybrid Audio l2x crossovers if I decide to not go active.
Genesis s3 5 channel ltd for the sub and midbass
Genesis st60 modified for the tweeters
Much sound deadening
I honestly haven't got a clue what much of the above is all about; but bloody hell, I bet it sounds amazing:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

So what recommendations do people have on a mid price speaker change out in the cab to improve the sound ?
I think the Rainbow range of speakers seem very popular, if you are interested get in touch with Jason @Absolut5 he can provide all the bits and advice to diy, or do it all for you.:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back