Looking for advice on upgrading my speakers as part of my conversion adventure.

Now I love a good tune, but won't be heading down to Tesco's on a Friday night anytime soon to see if I can drown out the boy racers with my excellent (read 'eclectic') song choices. Aiming for a budget of £200 - £250 so a separate Amp is out of the question and i don't really want to be using up loads of space with that option anyway.

So far I've pretty much settled rear speakers and under seat sub sorted, but can anyone give me an idea what size/shape/colour (joke) i will need to fit in the front doors? Is there anything I need to be aware of? and is it worth spending a little extra to get the woofer/tweeters that come with the separate filter or are those just a bit of a gimmick?

Cheers in advance.

If you are running the factory headunit and no amp, then you need to have very efficient speakers, many being marketed out there are designed to run with a amp and in conjunction with a sub, also the factory headunit is not that powerful

We do a budget French brand 6.5 “ plug and play kit with tweeters, which really very effiecent and also a set of German manufactured plug and play kit which has 8” door woofers and tweeters, again effiecent voice coils

Many speakers will I’ve little to no differences and could be a step backwards

What rear speakers and sub are you thinking of?

Drop me a pm if you like to go into it in much better depth..

Also if you purchase of us, I can give you some tips to improve reliability and sound which won’t cost you a penny, and these are missed by many installers

Last edited:
Cheers for the input everyone. Efficiency and not getting speakers that won't work well without an amp are definite concerns; buy right, buy once etc.

Right now I am thinking on the Kenwood KSC-SW11 150W active underseat subwoofer - got a lot of good reviews and is small at a time when space under my seats is rapidly becoming scarce. Was thinking on a pair of Alpine SPG-17CS - they are only rated to 60W RMS so could be ideal but it's not clear whether head unit power ratings are in RMS or Pk to Pk.

@Absolut5 I'll pm you tomorrow as I'm also looking at an aftermarket head unit in the next few months but I want to get the speakers in while panels are off and floors up etc.

Also if you purchase of us, I can give you some tips to improve reliability and sound which won’t cost you a penny, and these are missed by many installers

Would you not fancy sharing that info with the forum then if its a free mod?

Ideally you want to actually hear what you’re buying. I bought the £170 front speaker kit from Skipton and the improvement over factory is a bit underwhelming.

Ideally you want to actually hear what you’re buying. I bought the £170 front speaker kit from Skipton and the improvement over factory is a bit underwhelming.

I bought the same so called upgrade and in the end did the upgrade to the @Absolut5 signature system and now have the sound I wanted.Definately not the first or last time I waste £170 but that's life

Looking for advice on upgrading my speakers as part of my conversion adventure.

Now I love a good tune, but won't be heading down to Tesco's on a Friday night anytime soon to see if I can drown out the boy racers with my excellent (read 'eclectic') song choices. Aiming for a budget of £200 - £250 so a separate Amp is out of the question and i don't really want to be using up loads of space with that option anyway.

So far I've pretty much settled rear speakers and under seat sub sorted, but can anyone give me an idea what size/shape/colour (joke) i will need to fit in the front doors? Is there anything I need to be aware of? and is it worth spending a little extra to get the woofer/tweeters that come with the separate filter or are those just a bit of a gimmick?

Cheers in advance.
Like you I wanted to upgrade my speakers keeping with the standard head unit.I also listened to advise from this forums members & know how from ABSOLUTE 5/6 & bought their blam rs 200 8” upgrade kit for around £250 that was2 years ago l’m well pleased with the result as they have given me a much more fuller / bigger sound with bass also . I have spent thousands on car audio over my years, But value for money I think you will not go wrong

I couldnt agree more. The difference in the quality of sound over oem is like night and day. Quality kit and service for a small outlay.

Just looking to clarify, as there is two prices being quoted, £170 and £250. Is there two different kits being discussed here?

Does the kit at £170, have lesser speakers than the Blam 8" ? Whats all included included in the £250 kit?

Just looking to clarify, as there is two prices being quoted, £170 and £250. Is there two different kits being discussed here?

Does the kit at £170, have lesser speakers than the Blam 8" ? Whats all included included in the £250 kit?

Different kits from different providers. The kit I was referring to was a £170 kit from Skipton Car Radio, I haven’t heard anything else.

The £250 kit i got from skipton are the blam 8" door speakers,seperate tweeters for the A pillars all plug and play. Dodomat for the doors.

Back