Thanks everyone. I’m going to go for the 235/50/18 Michelin Cross Climates as living in Cornwall I don’t need a winter tyre but just the extra confidence for the colder mornings.

Good morning,i am going to have some new 18 inch alloys fitted to my T28 102,(but I am getting it mapped)can somebody tell me the ideal tyre size,as there will be more power now going through the van,Also I have read various posts that if you go above a certain size it starts giving a mis read on the speedometer.
Any suggestions will be great

A quick search of 18” brought up this:
Two tyre sizes for 18” recognised by VW;

235/50/18 for up to T30
255/45/18 for T32

For standard summer tyres we tend to fit the bigger tyre to all applications, to offer more wheel protection.

Providing the rolling radius is the same, your speedo reading should change.

Website www.willtheyfit.com will confirm this.

Click on the “18"” tag at the bottom to read a bit more about 18’s, such as wheel spacers etc

A quick search of 18” brought up this:

Providing the rolling radius is the same, your speedo reading should change.

Website www.willtheyfit.com will confirm this.

Click on the “18"” tag at the bottom to read a bit more about 18’s, such as wheel spacers etc
Thanks for your response mate,I will be going for an all year round tyre the company where I am getting the alloys from have recommended

Sorry they have also recommended 245/40/18 and 255/40/18 or is this overkill
To add to your confusion, I’m running 245/45/18.
They’re suitably load-rated and are fine on my lowered van, with no rubbing.

These are the two sizes recommended by VW and will keeps everything speedo wise spot on, so no need to deviate. Won’t make any difference lowering.

HTH

Yes. We always recommend this size on 18’s whatever the weight rating. Better looking tyre IMHO

I have 255/45 18 on my T28 and they are OK. Standard suspension, not lowered. These are on a BK 660 alloy Rims and yep, kerbed that one three days after getting the Van and the first time I have ever done it, They are very high kerbs nr the marine lake at Lytham St Anns!!!!!

IMG_1409.JPG

Last edited:
Hello
I’m upgrading my T6.1 California’s standard 17” Woodstock’s to 18” Springfield’s.
I’d appreciate any views on the most comfortable tyre I could fit. Great if they’re All Season.
Thanks

255/45 x 18 seems the popular size. It’s what VW fit to the Sportline vans. I’ve used the Goodyear Winters and currently have Michelin Cross Climates, there’s other options if you don’t need the load rating for a T32.

Both stood up well - the Goodyears are definitely more of a Winter only tyre, but I’ve had the Cross Climates on all year and wouldn’t say that there‘s a big difference in the Summer months, let’s see how they get on over the Winter as well.

Both are good from a noise perspective, which is a bit factor for me.

The approved sizes and correct sizes are 255/45 or 235/50 - I would go for the 255 to give you a bit more protection over the alloy - Stick to the sizes VW suggest
Half the modifications I see on here aren't what VW suggest! :slow rofl:

Last edited:
Half the modifications I see on here aren't what VW suggest! :slow rofl:

Totally agree. But if you can stick to correct tyre sizes, then why would you change away from it. Especially on a brand new California or any new vehicle.

Back