I'm just about to order my banded steels from Duchy and I have decide on 8.5"/9".

Before I leave Germany next week , I'm getting my tyres over here as they are cheaper and I get the VAT off which is 19%.

I've decided on Uniroyal Rainsport 3 - 255 45 18 103Y XL which I'm getting for 390 euro which is around £350, before I make the purchase tomorrow, has anyone got any reviews on them or used them?

I can also get Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 (£365) or Barum Bravuris 3HM (£290)

Anyone have any experience on these?

Any advice would be much appreciated.............

I need some new boots all round on my 4-motion 204 .
Problem seems to be that the original spec wheels and tyres are a size that gives few options; they are
255 45 18 (103Y).
I need All Season, Michelin don't do in this size, nor Nokian weatherproof. Only one I can find are Bridgestone Weather Control, pretty expensive. Question to all you knowledgeable members out there is:, Is there another size that's more available that will comfortably fit these Rims ?
Thanks for any views.

235/55/18 offers a lot more choice; slightly larger tyre ( around 11mm more side wall rubber), fill the arches much better than oem sizes imo.

Thanks chriscroft and mulacs for the info.
Been away, only just picked this up. Last time I looked, Weather control Bridgestones in 255 45 18 were around £142 from Tyreleader. Cheaper than other Net suppliers.
Haven't replaced mine yet. Chriscroft has me considering the 235 55 route. Won't foul the wheel arches on full spring compression will they? Am I right in thinking it will result in speedo and mileage under reading by about 5%?

I recently bought a 2016 T6 4motion with 16 inch Claytons, which I wasn't keen on. After doing a lot of research on here I replaced them with 18 inch steel rims and Nokian Weatherproofs in 235/55/18. They are a great tyre, particularly in the wet, and they don't rub or foul the arches in any circumstances. My van isn't lowered and I have no spacers. The effect on gearing is not noticeable.
I got the tyres from tyreleader at £105 each delivered and paid my local garage £8 per tyre to balance and fit them.

Thanks chriscroft and mulacs for the info.
Been away, only just picked this up. Last time I looked, Weather control Bridgestones in 255 45 18 were around £142 from Tyreleader. Cheaper than other Net suppliers.
Haven't replaced mine yet. Chriscroft has me considering the 235 55 route. Won't foul the wheel arches on full spring compression will they? Am I right in thinking it will result in speedo and mileage under reading by about 5%?
Gearing/speedo is about 3.5% up. Which brings the speedo to bang on accurate.
I looked at the bridgestones, but for me 235 is the perfect all-season; all-weather; all-terrain best overall width.
I also like the 10mm increase in radius that 235/55/18 gives you

went for the Nokian 235/55 18's as Chris suggested.
Done only 800 miles since fitting and re tracking.
First impressions: great grip, feel much more secure in wet weather than the factory fitted Hankooks. No really low temperatures yet to compare performance when icy or snowing.
They are much noisier though. On the rare occasions when I'm on smooth or nearly new tarmac, coasting mode, there is a much more noticeable rumble than the Hankooks. That may reduce as they settle and begin to wear I suppose.
Overall : well chuffed.
Thanks Chris for the nudge.

went for the Nokian 235/55 18's as Chris suggested.
Done only 800 miles since fitting and re tracking.
First impressions: great grip, feel much more secure in wet weather than the factory fitted Hankooks. No really low temperatures yet to compare performance when icy or snowing.
They are much noisier though. On the rare occasions when I'm on smooth or nearly new tarmac, coasting mode, there is a much more noticeable rumble than the Hankooks. That may reduce as they settle and begin to wear I suppose.
Overall : well chuffed.
Thanks Chris for the nudge.
I honestly have never noticed any tyre noise issues on ours; but according to the Mrs, I'm 1/2 deaf anyway.;)

I honestly have never noticed any tyre noise issues on ours; but according to the Mrs, I'm 1/2 deaf anyway.;)

Pardon?

C'mon, the old ones are always the best :thumbsup:

I've always said winters are much noisier than summers. The set of Riken winters on both of our Mini's sound like the wheel bearings are buggered, but I just see this as a small price to pay for the smug factor if it ever does snow.

Hi, I’m looking to get 18” alloys for my 16 plate Caravelle 4 motion and wanted to check that 235/50/18 101y tyres will be ok. The reason that I want to fit that size is because I want to get either Michelin Cross Climates or Goodyear Vector 4 seasons and they do not do these in 255/45/18.

When I checked under the bonnet the highest axel weight is 1620kg, so divided by 2 equals 810 per wheel and the 101 rating has a load rating of 825kg, so does this mean that will be ok, or am I getting too close to the maximum load of a 101 tyre? Also will reducing the load rating from the original 103 rating cause problems with the MOT and insurance.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice you can give.

I run Bridgestone A005s in that size on Amarok steels which are a 7.5inch rim.

I checked the tyre pressures label in the drivers door return (as well as axle weights Vs tyre ratings) and it lists a 101 tyre. That, as well as Taymar supplying 101 tyres with their Amarok steels was enough evidence for me.

The only thing different for you is that Alloys are usually an 8” rim so check the 235 will fit. Tyres have a range of rim widths that are suitable. (I’m sure it will be fine)

Thanks for the advice. Apparently VW supplied the 18” Dakar alloys with the 235/50/18 101 tyres so they should be ok to fit to the Sportline alloys I am getting.

Also check out the Bridgestones - they are an all season tyre and so far this winter (if you can call it that) have been brilliant.

235 55 18 Nokian Weatherproof on my Kombi. I'm now in the French Alps and no problems driving up to Val Thorens on icy / light snow roads. I fitted the Michelin cross climates to my Wife's mini and they're a very good tyre too but I think the Nokians suits the T6.

Two tyre sizes for 18” recognised by VW;

235/50 88 for up to T30
255/45 18 for T32

Your suggestion will be perfect.

For standard summer tyres we tend to fit the bigger tyre to all applications, to offer more wheel protection

HTH

I had the same question myself. After a fair bit of research I went for 235/50 18s. My van is a T28.
My thinking was the ride comfort should be better with this size over the 255/45 18 and I don’t need the extra 40mm of tread per axle with a 102ps van.
I have winter tyres on my steel wheels at the moment. So I went for Continental sport contact 6s at a 101 load rating. Should be fine when the weather improves!

Back