Winter wheel - 245/45/18 on 8.5J rim?

Gen6Rob

Hello, first time poster, long time lurker, please be gentle!

I've owned Gen 6 Caravelle for the last 4 years or so and every year I've swapped out summer tyres for winter tyres on the same wheels. Currently I have my winter tyres on the wheels (they are a 255 45 18 tyre - the same size as the summer tyre).

I want to buy some cheap and cheerful steel wheels and put my winter tyres on them so that I don't have to change tyres twice a year, I can just swap out wheel sets. Question is... am I correct in saying the right wheel size for this tyre size is 18x8.5? This site seems to suggest so: 18x8.5 on 255/45 R18 Tire Size

Next question is can anyone recommend somewhere that can supply them 18x8.5 steel wheels? I've spoken to VW for winter wheels they only go up to 7.5x17. Google is churning up all sorts, so if anyone can recommend a good place for steel wheels I'd be much obliged!

Hello @Gen6Rob welcome to the forum.

To answer your first question, yes, 8.5” is the minimum wheel width for your 255 tyres, but I think you might struggle to find an 18x8.5” steel wheel as that’s not a common size. The standard VW Amarok steel wheel is 7.5” and aftermarket steels seem to be 8.0”.

The cheapest option might be to go with the standard Amarok’s and get some new winter tyres at 235/50/18?

Thread '18" Steels for sale' For Sale - 18" Steels for sale
Run these wheels with new tyres through the summer then fit 18" bfg chunkies in time for next winter. Easy!
8j ready for banding if you wanted...
Nice one @Sabre - gotta put yourself out there!

I must admit, they are probably the best style/look of steel wheel to go for - nothing beats the “pepper pot” steels, imo.

why don't you run the standard VW steel wheels used for winters with 215/60/17 as the tyres seem pretty cheap compared to the 18's ?

Both good suggestions…. personally I’ve just changed my tyres over to the Michelin Cross Climate 2 and I’m very pleased with them so far.

Oh!
Didn't think VW fitted larger steels. The bog standard are 16's. My bad

i think its a UK / european thing.. plus the brake spec. if i search for steel wheels with winter tyres option in europe nearly all are 17". though in uk the 17" steels are for the big brake vans ..... from what i understand.

im euro based btw

i think its a UK / european thing.. plus the brake spec. if i search for steel wheels with winter tyres option in europe nearly all are 17". though in uk the 17" steels are for the big brake vans ..... from what i understand.

im euro based btw
Grüß Sie! Don’t let your friends hear that you might claim euro affiliation!!!

My van came with 17” Devonports and a 17” steel spare, so 17” steels should be available from VW.
In my case, I use the OEM Devonports with winter tyres, and have some 1Form Edition 3 18” wheels for the summer.

Back