Tyres for 18s Sportline Wheels - 255/45 vs 235/50 vs 235/55

vincethomas

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Bought 18 inch Sortline wheels but not sure which tyre size to go for. I did look on previous posts and noticed a lot of people use 235/50/18 instead of 255/45/18. Any reason for it ? I can see there is a tiny difference in price buy overall a very similar size. I was considering a 235/55/18 as well. Could I have some opinons regarding those sizes.

Brand wise I am looking for Vredestein, Uniroyal, Pirelli, Michelin. Any other recommendations ?
Thanks

I had 235/50/18 Toyo Proxes previous set, and now on 235/55/18 Michelin CrossClimate. Bigger ones fill the arches a bit more and have a 104 load rating as opposed to 101.
If I was having to replace tomorrow I’d definitely go for the Michelins again, cost a bit more but seem to drive nicer.
one point to note, is the speedo under reads slightly - shows 60 on dash but 62 on GPS

I had 235/50/18 Toyo Proxes previous set, and now on 235/55/18 Michelin CrossClimate. Bigger ones fill the arches a bit more and have a 104 load rating as opposed to 101.
If I was having to replace tomorrow I’d definitely go for the Michelins again, cost a bit more but seem to drive nicer.
one point to note, is the speedo under reads slightly - shows 60 on dash but 62 on GPS
Cheers. Did you notice more tyre roll when cornering due to bigger side wall on 55 profile ? When it comes to tyres I do not mind paying bit more as it is only thing that connect me to the road.

On 18” wheels we always fit the 255/45-18, which are classed as the t32 tyre. The 235/50/18 were the T30 and below size.

Running the 255 just gives you a bit more rubber on the road and better sidewall protection.

Interested to know... How do 255 45 18 sit on a T6? I have on my current van and do look like they sit proud (not T6) van lowered 30mm at front and approx 60mm at rear on coilovers. Also noticed a shed load of spray up side of van. Bigger mudflaps me thinks! Love the stance though.... Night and day compared to stock 215 r16s

Hi,had 20’s on the van but sick of the rough roads.16’s on at the moment but looking at 18’s.Whats the ride like?

I have 255/45-18 on my T32. We're looking at the 235/55 also as the ride is harsh on the 45 profiles. Over rough roads the van crashes and bangs over bumps, it's really not pleasant. We're running 30mm lowered front and rear.

I have 255/45-18 on my T32. We're looking at the 235/55 also as the ride is harsh on the 45 profiles. Over rough roads the van crashes and bangs over bumps, it's really not pleasant. We're running 30mm lowered front and rear.
Hi TonyJH, do you mind me asking what type of tyre are your 255/45s? Found the Bridgestone Weather controls I had have worn to slicks very quickly - surveying other options. Thanks!

Hi TonyJH, do you mind me asking what type of tyre are your 255/45s? Found the Bridgestone Weather controls I had have worn to slicks very quickly - surveying other options. Thanks!
I have Falken Azenis on the front, and Alventi on the back. Thanks for your info, I was looking at the Bridgestones, I might end up with the Falkens instead

The factory fitted Bridgestones on my sportline were smooth at 9,000 miles never had a tyre wear that fast in my life.

I'm thinking of putting AT tyres on my t6.1 sportline.
Going for the urban sport look...
At the moment I have 255 45 18 tyres on the oem alloys.
Looking at 235 55 18 AT3 tyres still on my oem alloys and some wheel spacers to pull the wheels out from under the arches a bit..
Opinions please..
Also any advice would be gratefully received..

I'm thinking of putting AT tyres on my t6.1 sportline.
Going for the urban sport look...
At the moment I have 255 45 18 tyres on the oem alloys.
Looking at 235 55 18 AT3 tyres still on my oem alloys and some wheel spacers to pull the wheels out from under the arches a bit..
Opinions please..
Also any advice would be gratefully received..
Interesting thread.....I have BF Goodrich on 17" rims for the winter and they drone quite a lot and gets worse at speed and they still bang and crash over poor road surfaces.
I am just changing summer wheels from 20" rims down to 18" because of the state of the roads near me (and the fact that the 9.5j wheels from my T30 can't be put on my T32 as i can't easily get the load rated tyre) and want a better ride quality than i can get on the 20's. My van now has Koni suspension and has been lowered 50mm front and back. Does anyone think there is mileage in a 255/50 18 tyre - slightly more profile than a 255/45 as I note TonyJH above still has ride issues on these, only 3% out on speedo but maybe added comfort? Also concerned about wheel arch rubbing and availability of tyres though - any thoughts would be welcomed....

Back