18” Tyre recommendations for 8J wheels

Cuiken

VIP Member
T6 Guru
There are plenty of options according to the online tyre calcs but I'm curious what people are actually running?

My preference would be to go a smidge oversized both in terms of radius but also width (to get some rim protection but also because I don't like the 'stretched' tyre look). Probably no more than 5% oversized on radius though.

I'm not fixed on having 8J rims but, since I'd be buying new wheels, this seems like a common wheel option.

Thanks.

There are plenty of options according to the online tyre calcs but I'm curious what people are actually running?

My preference would be to go a smidge oversized both in terms of radius but also width (to get some rim protection but also because I don't like the 'stretched' tyre look). Probably no more than 5% oversized on radius though.

I'm not fixed on having 8J rims but, since I'd be buying new wheels, this seems like a common wheel option.

Thanks.
I've got 235/55/18 on my steel 8J by 18 inch rims, tyres are 3.9% larger circumference than the 16 inch tyres fitted at the factory. They work fine for me.

Thanks, that's really helpful. Is yours lowered at all?

As an aside, I've been looking at vans I've spotted out and about and, while I don't know the wheel width, have been amazed at the variation in tyre size. Saw these two this morning alone:

245/45/18
255/45/18

45 is too small a profile for an 18" wheel if you want to keep the rolling radius similar.

235-50-18 would be about right in my opinion. Go a bit wider if you need some more rim protection.

45 is too small a profile for an 18" wheel if you want to keep the rolling radius similar.

235-50-18 would be about right in my opinion. Go a bit wider if you need some more rim protection.

I see your point.

255/50/18 seems quite a nice idea. See near bottom of this thread:

Not many options manufacturer options at this size though.

Thanks, that's really helpful. Is yours lowered at all?

As an aside, I've been looking at vans I've spotted out and about and, while I don't know the wheel width, have been amazed at the variation in tyre size. Saw these two this morning alone:

245/45/18
255/45/18
No, lowering wouldn't work for me;
20210226_093227c.jpg

I do forestry work in winter and farm work in summer so I need a bit of clearance.

Sounds about right :) Is that a 4Motion?

What tyres are you using BTW? They must be pretty capable.

Cheers.

Sounds about right :) Is that a 4Motion?

What tyres are you using BTW? They must be pretty capable.

Cheers.
Yes, 4Motion, Nokian Weatherproofs, they're not a proper off road tyre but they are 3PMSF snow rated and they are far more capable in mud than I expected. 90% of my driving is on road and I don't want the downsides of a more off road focussed tyre, I don't do "proper" off roading and the Nokians are plenty good enough for what I do;

20201218_100520c.jpg

I have those tyres on my current car. They are brilliant. Seem to have become scarce and (so) very expensive of late though...

I'm wondering if the Bridgestone Weather Control A005 Evo in 235/55/18 might have to do instead.

245/45/18
255/45/18
I’m running 245/45/18 on Sportline (8J) wheels. Speedo error is calculated to be 1.33% difference (4.5mm difference) FYI.

Also, this thread (albeit long) has plenty of suggestions :thumbsup:

Somewhat inspired by this thread I'm still contemplating 255/50/18s:

These would fit and, being in Scotland, I've run winter tyres all year round on cars before with no issues (maybe more of a problem on heavier vans though?).

I stand corrected. There is very little difference with a 255-45.

I've got 255-45-19 tyres, so assumed they'd be too small on an 18. On a side note, although my tyres are larger than the standard ones, the vans speedo now reads spot on with GPS. I know it's better to have an over reading speedo to give a little margin, but has anyone considered that the van is recording more miles than it's actually doing with smaller tyres.

I think that is the 'correct' size as specified by VW. But, it is also 0.5% smaller than the stock 17" (215/60/r17).

It'll work really well but 'aesthetically' it might not suit what people are after (fills the arches even less than the stock 17" wheels).

That said, if lowered and with the offset adjusted, I think they look pretty good. The one in your pictures certainly looks decent.

Cheers.

In the pics on my post the van sits on B14s set at about midway, can't go lower as it's a camper with an under slung water tank and currently about 70mm of air before the tank hits the tarmac.
Without lowering the van though even a 20" wheel won't fill the arches, it will just look a bit like a swamper running the wrong tyres.
Without trying to sound like a style fascist tyres with high sidewalls aren't a brilliant way to fill the arches either makes the van really skinny and gawky looking from behind when you want to look planted.
Back wheel with 25mm spacer to aid arch fillage.
IMG20210824104746.jpg

8j MOMO Revenge wheels as a wheel and tyre package from VanStyle, think they're et45, fitted a pair of spacers on the rear wheels as using the same width wheel all round means the rear wheels normally get lost a bit in the back arches on a T6.

Back