ehuplad

T6 Pro
Hi All,

I am trying to spec up the types to go with a set of Zitto 935 18's. They are 8.5J wide.

Custom Vanz and others are using 255 45 R18's is this the best spec, or should I consider something else?

Also which brand-model do people recommend, I am inclined to go with the big brands but will consider others. I want to have good all year round performance and low noise.

My research so far gives me the following to consider
  • GoodYear Eagle F1 Asymmtric 3 255/45 R18 Y (103)
  • Yokohama Advan Sport V105s 255/45 R18 Y (103)
What do people think / run on your vans.

Cheers
Eh’up lad

It seems as though 255/45 18 103 are the right size for a T32. For T30 and less, people seem to fit 235/50 18 101.

But on my T30 there is a sticker that states correct size is 255/45 18 - so I am having these fitted with my 18's.

Ok so just checking my maths and research are correct.
From the VW brochure the tyres that come with the 18" Sportlines are 235 / 50.
From the VW configurator the 17" Tyres are 215 / 60
If I go ahead with 255 /45 GoodYears I get a difference in total wheel n Tyre diameter.

VW 17" & 216 /60 = (17 x 25.4) + (216 x 0.6)2 = 691 mm
Sportlines 18" & 233 / 50 = (18 x 25.4) + (233 x 0.5)2 = 690.2 mm
GoodYear Tyre on 18"= (18 x 25.4) + (255 x 0.45)2 = 686.7 mm

Will the approx 0.5 cm make any difference to speedo readings etc, I assume not noticeable but what does you guys think / know ?

Cheers

Last edited:
235/50 - Best all round characteristics
255/45 - Look Better
255/50 3.5% oversized and would be my choice look the best).
Speedo would read correct with this size, as they read over with factory tyres. My only caveat would be if you have a small engine, and carry large loads the 3.5% slightly alters the gearing. oh and limited tyre choice in this size.

Actually VW do fit 255/45 18 to the the T32 and 235/50 to the T30 and below.
So 255/45 should be fine as it's a standard fit size from the factory.

Are any of these tyres C rated? As that does have an effect with regards to insurance. That is of course if you are running your van " through the business" in anyway. I'm looking for 235/55/R17's for mine at he mo and find the choice very limiting.

C rated tires and running it through the business. I'm intrigued where this is going....

If you are ruining the van through the business, claiming the vat back etc, you should also be insuring it as a commercial vehicle and as such the insurance company want to see C rated tyres on it. Now if you told them you had modified your vehicle, different alloys and tyres, and the insurance company were happy with that, then fine. But be careful, we all know the insurance companies will do anything to avoid paying out.

Are any of these tyres C rated? As that does have an effect with regards to insurance. That is of course if you are running your van " through the business" in anyway. I'm looking for 235/55/R17's for mine at he mo and find the choice very limiting.
We run a fleet policy, and I have had this conversation regarding "C" tyres, they didn't give a monkeys. So you can have your own conversation with your own insurer regarding this matter. As I understand it, the C tyre is a tyre that is designed for the fleet market, i.e it lasts along time. In my experience that is it, pretty rubbish in every other aspect. A 106xl tyre with all season designation is far far better than any rubbish "C" tyre.:thumbsup:

@chriscroft, who do you use for insurance? because merely mentioning winter tyres sent mine into a tail spin.
Equity Red Star, but we do it through a local brokers who have a "Trusted Assessor" sort of status with the insurer. So what happens is we stick with the local brokers, and they choose a log term Insurance partner in London to deal with. I guess there is a lot of trust, and it is generally agreed that we do not take the piss with claims, and then the bonified claims go unchallanged. We pay about £550pa fully comp, but the Vel is an expensive vehicle which includes business use.

Back