Hmm, not sure what you mean there.
Basically I like the height just now and don't want any lower, if I can I'd choose +10mm just to give that wee bit extra clearance without losing the look.

I already have lowering springs, it's the ride comfort I'm after also.

Having a swamper raised up with the ABT kit would look rubbish

B14s out the box at there highest setting are 40mm lower than standard
Solows out the box are 70mm lower than standard

if you want to go higher I can only see 30mm springs being your choice

My head's about to explode here..lol

£1080 for B14 Kit. Lots of cash. Bilstein is a old company with a great reputation for good quality gear.

£270 for Stance+ street kit. Made in China. Unknown company..but seems to have an ok reputation from the limited stuff I've read on here.

Here's my Problem. YES..I know that the B14 is quality stuff..but is it 5 times better than the Asian stuff? I could buy 3 kits for spares and still have plenty cash leftover.

My Heart says Bilstein, because I want the best quality money can buy...but my head says buy the stance..spend £270..if it breaks in a couple of years..buy another kit...i've still saved hundreds..please please help..lol...I really don't know what to do.

I always believe that if you buy quality , you buy it once but if you buy crap, you will buy it forever!

Just picked her up and the drive back was like night and day compared to the standard VW setup. I no long feel like I'm driving a boat wasnt a hard ride either so really happy. I cant compare with the B14's but I'm defo pleased I took the plunge on the So-Lows
@Dr Ian Coleman hows the van now the coilovers have settled - sitting about the same?
Is your van running with the addition of a poptop and camper conversion, or just the poptop?

@Dr Ian Coleman hows the van now the coilovers have settled - sitting about the same?
Is your van running with the addition of a poptop and camper conversion, or just the poptop?
Hi, I'm still sitting a little high at the back as the rear seats and furniture aren't being installed until early Oct. This should drop the rear a bit then I'll adjust to level her up. Remind me mid Oct and I'll put another post up

There is only so much travel on a shock , there fore the lower you go, the worse the ride becomes. The suspension is prone to bottom out and this is nothing to do with spring rates and the height the spring is set ! To improve ride quality and handling (at any height ) a proper well designed shock is needed . You can spend all the money on the fanciest shocks but if the car is too low the ride is crap and the performance shocks cant do what they need to . Coil over kits ( good ones ) do have good shocks but as mentioned in this thread when lowered to max the ride is worse . If you set a coil over kit to max height it is still lower than standard and should sit close to where a Lowering spring would sit . If this is what you want dont waste money on coil over kits buy a sport kit . "Sport shocks and springs" , this wont give knocking issues and adjuster threads that rust up and corrode .
The main reason for this recommendation is that the T 5 T6 configurations have several different spring rates . A coil over kit has one spring rate and although the height can be adjusted to get the desired look its possible that the spring gets pretensioned to a point where the ride gets hard or bouncy . ( see the picture on the B14 thread of the rear spring almost completely collapsed ) If you chose a sport kit you can select the correct spring rate for the vehicle and the ride is much better .
B14 is a mono tube design shock and very efficient ( not comfortable due to hi pressure gas ) the So low kit is the cheaper design dual tube shock which historically is more comfortable , but set to the lower recommendations will also be very hard on the road .
Transporter owners seem to think that the next step from JUST springs is Coil over, and there is always a comparison between Lowering springs and Coil overs these are very different solutions and shouldnt really be compared . The best set up is to optimise the lowering springs with a sport shock and the ride quality is great , we have sorted many comfort issues out with sport shocks and not coil overs over the years .

Its important to note that coil over kits were designed for racing cars . they enable low ride height , adjustable camber, and castor settings, as well as corner balancing the chassis . most of these features are Useless on a road going vehicle and definitely useless on a transporter , ( unless the camper is converted to a track day warrior )
The tuning industry has closed in on the height adjustable feature and exploited it to slam cars to the ground and make them less reliable and uncomfortable but LOOK great .

everyone has an opinion, I and many others have coilovers and have no issues with ride, comfort or quality. I don’t know what suspension you sell, I’m sure it’s great but I’m guessing it’s not coilovers?

There is only so much travel on a shock , there fore the lower you go, the worse the ride becomes. The suspension is prone to bottom out and this is nothing to do with spring rates and the height the spring is set ! To improve ride quality and handling (at any height ) a proper well designed shock is needed . You can spend all the money on the fanciest shocks but if the car is too low the ride is crap and the performance shocks cant do what they need to . Coil over kits ( good ones ) do have good shocks but as mentioned in this thread when lowered to max the ride is worse . If you set a coil over kit to max height it is still lower than standard and should sit close to where a Lowering spring would sit . If this is what you want dont waste money on coil over kits buy a sport kit . "Sport shocks and springs" , this wont give knocking issues and adjuster threads that rust up and corrode .
The main reason for this recommendation is that the T 5 T6 configurations have several different spring rates . A coil over kit has one spring rate and although the height can be adjusted to get the desired look its possible that the spring gets pretensioned to a point where the ride gets hard or bouncy . ( see the picture on the B14 thread of the rear spring almost completely collapsed ) If you chose a sport kit you can select the correct spring rate for the vehicle and the ride is much better .
B14 is a mono tube design shock and very efficient ( not comfortable due to hi pressure gas ) the So low kit is the cheaper design dual tube shock which historically is more comfortable , but set to the lower recommendations will also be very hard on the road .
Transporter owners seem to think that the next step from JUST springs is Coil over, and there is always a comparison between Lowering springs and Coil overs these are very different solutions and shouldnt really be compared . The best set up is to optimise the lowering springs with a sport shock and the ride quality is great , we have sorted many comfort issues out with sport shocks and not coil overs over the years .

Its important to note that coil over kits were designed for racing cars . they enable low ride height , adjustable camber, and castor settings, as well as corner balancing the chassis . most of these features are Useless on a road going vehicle and definitely useless on a transporter , ( unless the camper is converted to a track day warrior )
The tuning industry has closed in on the height adjustable feature and exploited it to slam cars to the ground and make them less reliable and uncomfortable but LOOK great .
Interesting post. Can you link to some of these sports shocks you allude to please?

Last edited by a moderator:
LT2019 CRS Performance is a distributor for these products and actually import them into South Africa as the main importer . I am based in UK however while my sons run the SA concern . This close relationship with these factories has meant i get all the tech information on Suspension do's and dont's for all vehicles.
The H&R springs are available in many spring strengths , knowing which one for the T 5 T6 configurations is the secret to success here .
The Shock absorbers are KONI and we have 2 offerings a sport for the drops of 40 to 60 mm and a self adjusting damper technology called special active ,.these are great up to 40mm . there is so much info available so happy to e mail specs etc KONI and H&R are with out doubt top of the desired parts list .

F2JON I do sell coil overs but sadly the kit i sell is very expensive , arguably though the most comfortable of all the available coil overs .
My point ( after speaking to hundreds of transporter owners ) is that many people buy Coil overs because they think its the next step from a lowering spring with poor ride characteristics , this simply isn't the case and a sport Kit is a tremendous solution for those not wanting a very low stance , and the ride that comes with that .

0A12B9F8-08AF-4AC0-B770-F345FAC6FA96.jpeg I had B14s fitted a month after driving with stock suspension.
I would argue the ride is far better than standard, plus handles way better, however I’m not wound all the way down as the van is used for fishing mostly, so navigating rutted tracks would be a nightmare with the van to slammed.
Done nearly 20k in the first year and love em.
Arbs next for me.

I have been lowering cars for 30 years and a vehicle that low simply cant be as comfy as standard , there simply isnt any shock travel left for the suspension to work. Also if you go lower than the pic ( you said its not all the way down ) how can the front wheels steer with out hitting the fenders ?
I wont dispute that everyone has different opinions on comfort but being in the industry for 30 years and listening to thousands of car owners complain about 30 and 40 mm drops i want potential buyers to be aware of the results of excessive lowering. Poor tyre wear , broken drive shafts , excessive suspension component failure .
Those kind of drops simply arent for everyone

The van looks fab however and i fully understand why people do it ,.

Reactions: DXX
I have been lowering cars for 30 years and a vehicle that low simply cant be as comfy as standard , there simply isnt any shock travel left for the suspension to work. Also if you go lower than the pic ( you said its not all the way down ) how can the front wheels steer with out hitting the fenders ?
I wont dispute that everyone has different opinions on comfort but being in the industry for 30 years and listening to thousands of car owners complain about 30 and 40 mm drops i want potential buyers to be aware of the results of excessive lowering. Poor tyre wear , broken drive shafts , excessive suspension component failure .
Those kind of drops simply arent for everyone

The van looks fab however and i fully understand why people do it ,.

That’s why it’s not lowered fully!:rofl:
Mines on 45 profile front and 40 profile rears though so not running on rubber bands, that definitely helps with comfort.

Steve, I'm in the market to sort my T6 Leighton Van with H&R springs already installed with a 40mm drop. I can't go lower, it's too low at times just now. The daily bouncy bouncy is now getting to me and well, speed tables, don't get me started.

Can you point me in the right direction please, happy to be a customer if it does what you say. cheers

As a business we have yet to find a separate spring/ shock combination that works. As in not sold as a kit. The B14, which as you know we sell lots of with lots of very happy customers , is the best solution out there, IMHO.

However @CRS Performance we really should have a chat as I’d be interested in testing your kit as we are always asked not to lower but to make more comfortable. Ping me your number and maybe we can have a chat.

Hi BeePee . Massively confident in what I do and I am sure we can get the ride nice in the Van please call me 07469785932 or simply send a text and ill call you back
Regards Steve

Back