Going back to stock springs and shocks. How bad can it be?

I can't say 45 apparently, I could blame the speel, spoke, splat cheeker or the 5 thumbs on my right hand but in all honesty I knew what I meant if that helps?:cautious:

Well, I measured the van as below:

1707120353498.png

So, I have 3 cm of scope for extra height without hitting the limit of a 2m carpark.

I spoke to Steve @CRS Performance and decided on a set of Koni shocks and their custom Technica springs. Going for a 40mm drop vs the ~70mm drop that seems to be on it right now. I also went with height adjustable for the rears so I can fine tune to hit that 2m limit. The van is our only vehicle so it needs to be versatile.

Parts should turn up today or tomorrow. I'll update once they are fitted.

Well, the van is in the garage having the new kit fitted today (despite some initial misgivings from the mechanic about fitting non OEM parts). Let's see how he does......

Reactions: CAB
I have the same Koni, Evo spring setup on my outgoing T6, although a 50mm drop.

It's as good as you can expect on a T32, night and day better over potholes etc, but still a fidgety ride over poor surfaces.

36-38 tyre pressures if you run 20" wheels/tyres, VW main dealer pumped mine up to 50psi all round after a service a few weeks back, way to high.

Soooo close. The van didn't fit on his ramp :laugh:.

Trying agin on a bigger ramp next Monday. Something to look forward to I guess.....

Reactions: CAB
And..... it's all fitted. Van sits exactly 3cm higher and ride is far smoother. Only issue is that they melted the rubber gaiter on the drop link when, presumably, applying a bit of heat to undo the nut.

So, back in tomorrow for a new drop link and then tracking and we're done.

I've only driven it 1 mile and the tracking is waaaaayyyy out so hard to make a proper judgement but, it seems like we've got a far plusher ride and better clearance. After tracking is sorted I'll comment on handling, I'm pretty optimistic ;)

Thanksl to Steve at @CRS Performance for great service.

Hi Cuiken
Any chance of a picture of how your van sits now, when you have time of course.
Many thanks

As promised. I'm really happy with this height. Great compromise on stance and comfort:

1708938868945.png

It works out as ~42.5cm centre to arch which is very close to intended.

I can also now access the spare wheel without jacking up the van :)

Handling wise, it is a far more comfortable place to be. I do need to get the tracking sorted though as it is wildly out somehow. So, I'll be able to comment better once that is sorted.

As promised. I'm really happy with this height. Great compromise on stance and comfort:

View attachment 230852

It works out as ~42.5cm centre to arch which is very close to intended.

I can also now access the spare wheel without jacking up the van :)

Handling wise, it is a far more comfortable place to be. I do need to get the tracking sorted though as it is wildly out somehow. So, I'll be able to comment better once that is sorted.

I think it looks great too, but yes, get that tracking sorted ASAP, I posted somewhere else that it's amazing how quickly you can destroy tyres if it's not right. I learned the expensive way!

Good morning all. Just to chip in on this feed a bit. I’ve recently bought a T6, swapped out the wheels and tyres straight away for 17 inch alloys with a large tyre 235/65r17. From what little knowledge I have on suspension it looks to be fairly stock spring and dampers that it’s riding on, although the ride height is certainly at least 30cm lower than I expected it to be. Could these be sportline springs perhaps? If so I was thinking about the possibility of changing the springs to standards to gain the ride height back given the large tyres I’m now running. Any advice would be much appreciated. Attached some photos. Centre of alloy to wheel arch is 40.5 front and back. Camper conversion inside.

90200C63-0532-4EB4-B33E-FFB5326E9B5A.jpeg

D9D03E08-B924-4E8D-B5A6-3C1B6DCC5C5C.jpeg

5A3048CD-6F37-471C-B87C-2A454E1E52DE.jpeg

A2F6D90F-F601-4B97-9E49-13243E044D2F.jpeg

31121534-E50F-43C2-86DF-BCBA3B1131B3.jpeg

22DD14F5-4BE5-4CB1-B542-75D33AC2E247.jpeg

2F6CADFC-2B2A-4D1F-9912-0140C9E7A7A1.jpeg

5030029B-6BDA-4909-B31B-D976E20C7C22.jpeg

D7E5D861-B4FC-469F-9396-951A37B25F4D.jpeg

D2C48216-FE98-4172-973F-F032BC4F8C7A.jpeg

15D1143D-4C6F-41F0-8453-93A037DBE463.jpeg

That does appear to sit quite low. I'm no expert, but I doubt it is running standard springs. Even with a camper conversion inside, I'd not expect it to sit with a centre to arch of 40.5cm. A T32 will have astock centre to arch of ~47cm when empty.

Others may have more specific knowledge than me.

Do you know if it is a T28/T30/T32?

Off topic but looking at the rusted shroud on that rear left shock I would try and budget in new suspension all round and get the ride height you want rather than poke and hope.
Each alteration will most likely need a wheel realignment too so more money which adds up over the year.

Yes I thought the same around the ride height and comparing it to others on the forum threads. It’s a T30.

Yes you are probably right @Stay Frosty,
Was also thinking the same, looks like that on both sides to be honest.

Sorry chap but at least there's a lot of choice with aftermarket suspension these days so not always a case of spending a shed load more especially if you're not looking for ar5e dragging lows.:thumbsup:
Steve at CRS down in Cannock will probably be your man.

Shame it's a T30. I have a full set of stock T32 springs and shocks going spare.

Hi steve @CRS Performance. I believe you are the oracal when it comes to all things suspension! Would you possibly be able to shed any light on the photos attached above? Cheers
Those springs aren’t copping well with the weight of your van. Go back to standard height but use T32 rear to help carry the camper weight. , we have spring spacers to trim it up exactly. If budget allows get some Koni dampers , you won’t recognise the van after.

Back