Unfortunately there is always a trade off - comfort vs handling

that`s just physics.

lower ride = looks and better handling in corners etc (due to stiffer spring load and reduced suspension travel)

stock ride = plush, smooth ride with the full suspension travel but wallowey in the corners. (due to body roll & weight transfer in corners and braking)

If you want comfort then you need maximum suspension travel to soak up all the lumps and bumps.

The benefit of coil-overs vs Stock lowering springs is that you can adjust the ride height slightly which will have the effect of a firmer or softer ride depending on what end of the adjustment you choose.

dont forget the ARB`s also effects the above.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the links, very informative. Wanted to ask the same question myself but didn't want to sound like a numpty as planning a conversion for my van along with possible lowering of some description

One other question, once your choice of lowering has been done what do people do with the old shocks, keep them for possible refitting ?

So in summary, spending £1200 or whatever really just gives me the ability to choose ride height and has no impact on comfort. Shame as I thought it would be the answer. Oh well, at least it’s saved me some money

So in summary, spending £1200 or whatever really just gives me the ability to choose ride height and has no impact on comfort. Shame as I thought it would be the answer. Oh well, at least it’s saved me some money

Done a little research and believe air suspension would give you both but at a much inflated price, some 3k more :(

Done a little research and believe air suspension would give you both but at a much inflated price, some 3k more :(
True that air suspension would be more comfortable but not prepared to pay that kind of price

Is there anything I can do that would make the van a bit more comfortable, apart from putting original springs back on?

True that air suspension would be more comfortable but not prepared to pay that kind of price

Is there anything I can do that would make the van a bit more comfortable, apart from putting original springs back on?
It's a trade off sadly, standard suspension = comfort acceptable, handling poor - with B14s = comfort poor (though I don't mind it, I've had harder riding cars), handling acceptable.

Personally I couldn't live with the boat like handling of the van as standard so had to go for B14s. It's the best compromise as far as I'm concerned

So if they don’t make the ride any more comfortable what is the point, apart from looks and being able to lower the van more than 30mm? I have seen a few posts on various threads saying they made for a more comfortable ride, assuming you are taking them very low? I’m puzzled

Mine are only harsher because I've got them maxed out.
People like @Sjacko20 has his set on a sensible height, and he will tell you how much better this is over stock.

Mine was originally set with 20mm front and 15mm rear adjustment left and the ride was comfy, I’ve recently maxed it out and it’s made it a little more harsh but still livable for the look and handling of it.

The beauty of the B14's is they take all the little imperfections out of the ride, and coupled with the ARB's make the van far nicer to drive - More car like. At full height , although firmer, they are a more compliant ride, and probably the best money you will spend on the van. Take all the wallow out of it. We run a demo van if you want a go. As has been said at maximum lowering it is firmer still, but at full height I would say the comfort is defiantly improved. We fit 2-3 sets a week which I think speak for itself.

@BognorMotors So just to confirm, are you saying that the B14's at 30mm lowering will be more comfortable than the standard 30mm lowering springs I have currently? TBH I don't really find that it wallows, just that it picks up every little imperfection. I tend not to drive it that hard as its a van (or possibly I am just getting old) so perhaps the ARB's may not make so much difference?

@F2JON and @Tourershine If you have them maxxed out how much is that lowered by? I assume my 30mm which I am happy with would be some way off that?

Reactions: DXX
I have a t32 kombi on standard springs and found the ride terrible. I put a set of standard t30 rear springs on and it’s not car like but much better . The fronts are the same so don’t change them . You have lowered springs so how about going for the softer lower springs . You won’t be able to carry the full weight but sounds like you don’t need to .
I also run my tyres lower pressures than in the book and that makes the biggest difference as I found out when they put them back up at a service. The tyres have done 40000 miles and look ok for wear.
That the only complaint about the t6 as it doesn’t drive as smooth as my ford custom or traffic .
If you find a answer I would like to give it a go as mine is coming up to three years and would like to lower and remap it .

@BognorMotors So just to confirm, are you saying that the B14's at 30mm lowering will be more comfortable than the standard 30mm lowering springs I have currently? TBH I don't really find that it wallows, just that it picks up every little imperfection. I tend not to drive it that hard as its a van (or possibly I am just getting old) so perhaps the ARB's may not make so much difference?

@F2JON and @Tourershine If you have them maxxed out how much is that lowered by? I assume my 30mm which I am happy with would be some way off that?

B14s are approx 40-50mm at their highest and 80-90mm at their lowest dependant on the vehicle. And the ride will be so much better than your 30mm springs which can only be described as harsh. The bilsteins are a matched set of coilovers that are built to work with each other. You can go B14’s by themselves and you’ll be very happy - we swap loads of people from lowering springs onto bilsteins.

@BognorMotors Thanks for that. Harsh is exactly the right word for the current setup. Unfortunately Google maps tells me I am 587 miles from you so I will have to use someone a bit more local ☹️. Do you have any recommendations for B14 fitters in Scotland?

I’m guessing about 70mm ish but yes your right a lot lower than your 30mm so I would imagine on the highest setting they would be really comfy.

B14s are approx 40-50mm at their highest and 80-90mm at their lowest dependant on the vehicle. And the ride will be so much better than your 30mm springs which can only be described as harsh. The bilsteins are a matched set of coilovers that are built to work with each other. You can go B14’s by themselves and you’ll be very happy - we swap loads of people from lowering springs onto bilsteins.

Considering B14 on a T28 stock height & springs currently, worth the upgrade?

Ours were done to level the van after the camper weight made it nose high with no front end grip and wallowy ride, the rears are on the highest setting with fronts lowered to match so about 50mm all round. The transformation is night and day, slightly firmer but hugely more controlled on the road. Even the missus thinks it is much nicer and thinks it was money well spent, I have no experience without the arbs as we had them done at the same time. Overall it is a joy to drive and transformed.

Back