Going back to stock springs and shocks. How bad can it be?

Cuiken

VIP Member
T6 Guru
My van came fitted with a set of coilovers comprising Koni adjustable shocks and H&R springs. I gather this combo is considered to be pretty good.

It's a bit lower than I'd ideally go but the thing goes round corners like physics don't apply to it.

Problem is that, after 3 years and 20k miles in Scotland, the springs have lost all their coating and I'm pretty sure one has snapped. We're getting some fairly nasty clunking/banging when going over speedbumps (it's not the drop links, they are berand new).

So, either I replace with the same/similar or I go back to the stock springs and shocks that also came with the van as spares when I bought it.

It's a T32 so, aside from the 'van on stilts' look, what else am I going to notice? Just how bad (wallowy) is the handing on stock springs/shocks?

Cheers,

Cuiken

Last edited:
If you are happy with the ride you will notice the van rolling around corners and will not feel as on rails as you are used to on OEM. You may find the comfort better over bumps on the OEM. And the level of the van may not look as nice on OEM. If its just a snapped spring perhaps look at getting a fresh set or alternatively upgrade to a new coilover kit all around to suit the drop you are looking for. Something from the SOLOW range perhaps. Check out the dealer network for your closest dealer. Good luck

Paying somebody to swap out your suspension plus possibly replacing the drop links again if they're not the stock factory ones and then getting a wheel alignment is a lot of hassle just to find out how genuinely rubbish the VW suspension is.
This is no Transit or Vivaro, the stock Transporter manages to scare the living sh/daylights out of you on anything other than a slow gentle bend, spend the kids inheritance and shop around for some shiny new suspension from the forum favourites. :thumbsup:

Thanks for comments.

@Eclipse Custom Vans, makes sense. I do like how it drives right now. Wouldn't mind a bit more comfort though and, with our local roads continuing to degrade, a bit more 'give' might be good for the van's mechnicals too.

@Stay Frosty, sounds like you're definitely not a fan of the stanard shocks/springs :oops:

All makes sesne but I do have to say I'm a bit dissapointed by the lifespan of the coilovers on the van. 20k miles and 3 years doesn't seem much and they do look pretty gubbed. I've not seen OEM shocks or springs deteriorating like this before.

First thing is first I guess, get the van parked somewhere flat and measure the arch to centre to figure out the existing drop.

Thanks for comments.

@Eclipse Custom Vans, makes sense. I do like how it drives right now. Wouldn't mind a bit more comfort though and, with our local roads continuing to degrade, a bit more 'give' might be good for the van's mechnicals too.

@Stay Frosty, sounds like you're definitely not a fan of the stanard shocks/springs :oops:

All makes sesne but I do have to say I'm a bit dissapointed by the lifespan of the coilovers on the van. 20k miles and 3 years doesn't seem much and they do look pretty gubbed. I've not seen OEM shocks or springs deteriorating like this before.

First thing is first I guess, get the van parked somewhere flat and measure the arch to centre to figure out the existing drop.
Give Carl a call at Unit Six8, hes in Scotland and wil be able to help you. Cheers

Stick with your setup if you like it, the OEM shocks/ springs are both harsh and handle terribly.....I honestly think VW tried to do a bad job.

Mat

Thanks, useful info. Current setup is nice but I htink I'd prefer to go a bit higher (minimal drop really) and just target comfort and handling.

So, possibly Koni shocks, minimal lowering springs and, possibly, stiffer front ARB.

@CRS Performance has mentioned that the early H&R springs were liable to cracking. I’d definitely stick with the Koni’s. What drop springs are they? Hopefully Steve will be able to comment/ help.

I just dropped an email to CRS. I actually spoke to Steve when I bought the van and he was really helpful (explained to me what I already had on there). FYI, this is a pic of the coilover kit that is fitted to the van:

1706545217220.png

1706547000782.png

I've got the front coilovers wound up about as high as they can go and the drop looks like this:

1706545304367.png

Ideally I'd have it 10-20mm higher as I do get some rubbing with my slightly oversized tyres but the existing coilovers are at their limit and won't do that for me. I could also do with a bit more comfort as we live out among some pretty deteriorated B-roads.

So, wondering what my other options are. I guess I could refit the stock springs with Koni shocks? I'd just worry about getting into multi storey car parks with the extra height is all.

Last edited:
Okay, I've tried searching (and I know it is here) but can anyone tell me what the standard centre to arch measurement should be for a T32 T6?

I'm trying to figure out how much lowering I actually have with this setup.

Okay, I've tried searching (and I know it is here) but can anyone tell me what the standard centre to arch measurement should be for a T32 T6?

I'm trying to figure out how much lowering I actually have with this setup.
This may help:

Thanks, not sure how I failed to find that myself :rolleyes:

Didn't see any perfect matches but the T32, 204ps, LWB vans were both ~465mm front and rear which I think is what I remember being stock.

I'll compare to that.

So, wondering what my other options are. I guess I could refit the stock springs with Koni shocks? I'd just worry about getting into multi storey car parks with the extra height is all.
I have a t28 on stock springs and with Koni Special Active shocks as I’m told this is the best set up for comfort. I hate to think what a lowered van is like as this is still bad. I didn’t upgrade ARBs (won’t improve comfort any, just reduce wallowing a little bit) but plan to do that at some point.
Ours has standard 16” alloys with 215/65 tyres. When these tyres need replacing I plan to change the wheels to either 16x6.5j or 17x7/7.5j - allowing me to use 235 width tyres that use lower pressure as I saw a video of someone comparing these set ups in a cali with rattling reduced and apparently a nicer ride.

As for height our van has one of the more bulky pop-tops but we still can get in car parks marked at 2.1m and that seems to be a fairly common height.

There are a few 2m carparks round here that we occasionally use so I'm worried about going back to standard (full height) springs.

I had a really good chat with Steve @CRS Performance this morningh though who suggested Koni Short Special shocks and their Technica springs (hopefully just a 30mm drop. I just need to measure the current height of the van to see what I can get away with.

Related news is that I measured our exist centre to arch as 40cm on each corner so we're already dropped by ~65mm. More than I thought and probably why it can get a bit crashy on local b-roads. Hopefully, changing the shocks and springs will resolve that.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I started with our T28 camper by going to B14s and that was possibly where I should have stopped as the difference in handling was far more predictable in corners losing all of the chaos ie lurching, crashiness and unpredictable rebounding when potholing.
I did have 18" wheels with 255 55 18 tyres fitted at the same time so slightly lower wall height but still enough to provide a bit of a crumple zone.
Fitting thicker ARBs a month later was a bit of a regressive step as while the camper would now corner flat at warp speed some of the plushness had been lost especially again when potholing so more track orientated than required.
I got Steve at CRS to swap out my B14s when one of the rear spring pigtail coils broke following a front strut spring the previous year so 3 1/2 yrs for the front spring and 4 yrs for the back, each time it was the pig tail lead in spring coil breaking so annoying rather than fatal. The rear spring may well have been broken for a couple of months as most of these lowered type springs are typically coil bound so the rest of the spring masks that missing 12mm of lost height.
I've got H&R coil overs fitted now but if I'm honest they don't feel much different to the B14s and certainly not a marked improvement but reducing ride height and fitting larger wheels both go in the opposite direction to getting a more compliant and comfortable ride with reduced tyre wall height and reduced suspension travel being the exact opposite of today's popular blobby SUVs which can survive our crap roads.

I started with our T28 camper by going to B14s and that was possibly where I should have stopped as the difference in handling was far more predictable in corners losing all of the chaos ie lurching, crashiness and unpredictable rebounding when potholing.
I did have 18" wheels with 255 55 18 tyres fitted at the same time so slightly lower wall height but still enough to provide a bit of a crumple zone.
Fitting thicker ARBs a month later was a bit of a regressive step as while the camper would now corner flat at warp speed some of the plushness had been lost especially again when potholing so more track orientated than required.
I got Steve at CRS to swap out my B14s when one of the rear spring pigtail coils broke following a front strut spring the previous year so 3 1/2 yrs for the front spring and 4 yrs for the back, each time it was the pig tail lead in spring coil breaking so annoying rather than fatal. The rear spring may well have been broken for a couple of months as most of these lowered type springs are typically coil bound so the rest of the spring masks that missing 12mm of lost height.
I've got H&R coil overs fitted now but if I'm honest they don't feel much different to the B14s and certainly not a marked improvement but reducing ride height and fitting larger wheels both go in the opposite direction to getting a more compliant and comfortable ride with reduced tyre wall height and reduced suspension travel being the exact opposite of today's popular blobby SUVs which can survive our crap roads.
Out of curiosity, what sort of drop are you running?

IMG20230829151355.jpg
IMG20230328115003.jpg
I think it's a 65mm drop but don't for get they're 18" wheels and I didn't say but I've got a 70 litre underslung water tank and about 70mm before I hit the road due to the big fat drain plug where the pump is inserted.
Just spotted you can see the tank access plug jutting down between the rear wheels.

Looks good. Really appealing stance at that drop. Maybe just a fraction higher than ours.

I'm running 18/50/255 tyres now, looks like those are a little smaller?

I don't know why but I quoted 255 55 18s earlier :whistle: :unsure:, they're actually 255 55 18 so slightly sexier and as you say slightly lower profile.

Back