I just used the last of the pre-paid VW services that came with the van when I bought it secondhand.
Full Service, checklist stated that lights checked ok despite the FNS fog light being half full of water and misted over.
Carrs of Indian Queens, Cornwall, still much better than Snows of Plymouth though.

Can "inspection" be switched off by Carista then? Always puzzled with service + inspection thingy on my recent cars. Wife's 2008 Golf just simply states service icon when required and I do oil and filters change my self anyway. Our new van is counting down to service and inspection.

Always wondered what is"inspection" exactly?

Can "inspection" be switched off by Carista then? Always puzzled with service + inspection thingy on my recent cars. Wife's 2008 Golf just simply states service icon when required and I do oil and filters change my self anyway. Our new van is counting down to service and inspection.

Always wondered what is"inspection" exactly?
It’s a service, if you don’t have it serviced within the warranty period your warranty maybe void.

It’s a service, if you don’t have it serviced within the warranty period your warranty maybe void.
Thanks for the heads up guys, @DXX i have been quoted £180 for the so called inspection although I still am unaware what this is.

If its checking levels etc., I can do that myself as the van is out of warranty, any thoughts?

Thanks for the heads up guys, @DXX i have been quoted £180 for the so called inspection although I still am unaware what this is.

If its checking levels etc., I can do that myself as the van is out of warranty, any thoughts?
Read the first entry on this discussion, ref: Interim.
I agree if you are competent to do it go ahead.
The problem arises when you have a vehicle within the warranty period and don’t follow planned maintenance.

I agree wit following the schedule when in warranty. My new van has a VW service plan. What I am puzzled is what's the difference between service and inspection? Both of them are counting down and they are same values at the moment.

Just had an email from my supplying dealer VW West Yorkshire kindly informing me my van is due for a service
( I've had it 14 months, a used vehicle) however my MFD tells me I'm not due one for another 200 plus days. I think I'm on the extended service schedule.....

I'm on 2 minds now whether to get it booked in now. Done about 12k miles in 14 months.

12K in 14 months is considered low mileage in a van, personally I'd be doing an annual / 10K oil change service, then the inspection service at alternate oil changes, then the brake fluid and DSG (if fitted) fluid change intervals align perfectly. Long life is really designed for high mileage long journey usage, ie 20K+ per year.

12K in 14 months is considered low mileage in a van, personally I'd be doing an annual / 10K oil change service, then the inspection service at alternate oil changes, then the brake fluid and DSG (if fitted) fluid change intervals align perfectly. Long life is really designed for high mileage long journey usage, ie 20K+ per year.
Makes sense, it was a hire van from first registration so I guess that's why it's on the long life. Pity they didn't change the plan on the vehicle when I bought it as I understand it can be.

Next question will be ' how do I change it'....?

I think they all come with long life servicing by default unless the buyer asks to have it changed to fixed service. The servicing regime can be changed using VCDS etc, or get the garage to change it during a service.

long life servicing is the work of the devil
10,000 miles is too much
a lot of people on here do 5-6000 miles including myself = DIY jobs
some still go to dealers but do it themselves inbetween

Next question will be ' how do I change it'....

@T6 dork. When you say you DIY - is that oil and the filter? As a mechanical numpty, I've no idea if there's anything else involved (other than maybe a sump plug).

well i change the sump plug every 2 years, never had a leak yet
oil & filter every 5000 miles in all my 4 diesel cars
air filter every 10,000 miles
fuel filter every 15,000 miles
this is all my choice and i buy Genuine filters from TPS and i buy a 200 litre drum of oil = £3 a litre as it goes in all 4 cars
im a retired engineer inc diesel engine builder and have seen many dirty engines inside and Oil is cheaper than an Engine

@T6 dork. Thanks for the quick response. It's always worth filing this stuff away for future reference.

Back