I’m now a bit confused. In the first post by @Dellmassive it talks about Interim Service and Full Service, but my van has the warnings for Oil Service and Inspection Service.
Are these different names for the same things or are there 4 different types of service?
Is there a checklist anywhere for each of these services?

Thanks.

oil / filter service Every 5000 miles
every 10000 do air/fuel filters
inspection service = load of cobblers (just a ploy to get you in)
vag-com them off

The maintenance manual covers service regimes/intervals

vag-com them off

That's a bit over the top! :oops: My old Ford Anglia did better that that!

Please refer to the official service regimes.

vag-com them off
You forgot to put 'IMHO' at the beginning of that post. In my case, the 5000 mark is about right as mine is a camper and not used as a daily ride but for a van that's used for business and doing a lot of miles, it might just prove a bit prohibitive.

well i used to build diesel engines many years ago and i know what goes on inside :)
oil is cheaper than an engine and I've never had one fail in 40 years with my 5k services
its going to be super clean inside too (bonus)
i have 5 cars all derv all on 5k changes
my A8 has an 8 litre sump but still has the 5k oil change
when i bought it new the service manager said 5k oil changes, i know a few people who do that i cant fault you Mr Smith
so thats me and its IMHO lol

In North America they are quite anal about this stuff - oil change every 5K and the oil is often sent off for analysis to see which components are wearing.

I too used to work for a diesel engine manufacturer and we would do all sorts of harsh tests during development and get engines back from some customers after some serious miles (1M+) and do a full strip down and evaluation of wear on the components; it was amazing how little wear some of the high mileage engines had. Modern oils that don't break down as quickly, more capable machining processes with tighter tolerances and much better cleaning processes for the engine internals prior to assembly is why oil changes have gone from the traditional 6K in the 80s (and earlier) to the extended service intervals we have now, however even some of the oil companies that produce the long life oil recommend not going beyond 10K.

From my personal perspective, I do the oil changes based upon the use of the engine. In my kart race engines the oil is changed 1 to 3 hours of use, in our Yeti which is ultimately the same engine as the T6 but with a smaller sump, annual or every 10K, which ever comes first as that doesn't need to haul much weight around and has a fairly easy life. The T6 is every year which varies from 4 - 7K but involves towing a caravan some of the time so all of the engine torque does get used. In all of these cases I know I'm being overly cautious but I also know it's not doing any harm either and weigh up the cost of an oil change against the price of a tank of diesel. Using top spec Shell Helix HX8 5W30 (I buy it in 20l containers as the Yeti uses it too), a Mahle filter and a new sump plug is about £35 for an oil service on the T6 so in the scheme of things absolute pennies (10 pence a day based on being done every year). I also love working on vehicles so I'm in a happy place in the garage doing this.

Sounds to me like the service timer wasnt reset at the last service?
How do you reset the service timer? Mine had a full service and belts in Aug but keeps flagging inspection now.... they guys who did it are in Cumbria where I got it from and I’m notts....

You can do it using the buttons on the instrument cluster and the MFSW (lots on YouTube). The only minor issue with that is the servicing will probably change from Flexible to Fixed.

You can do it using the buttons on the instrument cluster and the MFSW (lots on YouTube). The only minor issue with that is the servicing will probably change from Flexible to Fixed.
Any links?
Is it an issue if it’s fixed?

All this talk of services prompted me to look at the computer information in my Manual 150PS. It was registered in July 18, had it's first service on 10 March at 4556 miles and has since done a further 140 miles. As at this morning, the MFD is telling me that an inspection service is due in 304 Days or 19900 miles but the part that talks about a 'real' service is blank. Does the computer take a while to learn about driving styles etc. before it calculates when the next service is due or is there something else going on (ie. the tech forgot to reset the computer properly or something more sinister)? My only other experience a car with 'flexible servicing' is on an Audi and that shows next service details straight after driving out of the workshop. Any advice much appreciated.

Last edited:
Floyd has just told me that I have 6 days until inspection, as the van is new to me I am unaware what inspection is due, even more frustrating is all the service history is now online,.

My question is this:

How do I see what inspection my van needs and can I view the inspection history online anywhere?

Additional info,

Floyd's current mileage is 25,845.

I did an oil service which I recorded @ 24,000 miles on the 3rd September 2021 using genuine oil filter and Castrol Edge 5W-30 Oil.

I suspect only the dealer that carried out the work has any records? Maybe VW keep a log, but I bet GDPR stop them from giving you many details.

Buy a service book for a tenner, see if you can get a dealer to backfill the previous services?

I’ve got a service book and a receipt for every single piece of work ever done to my van, the box file is 3/4 full… :eek:

Floyd has just told me that I have 6 days until inspection, as the van is new to me I am unaware what inspection is due, even more frustrating is all the service history is now online,.

My question is this:

How do I see what inspection my van needs and can I view the inspection history online anywhere?

Additional info,

Floyd's current mileage is 25,845.

I did an oil service which I recorded @ 24,000 miles on the 3rd September 2021 using genuine oil filter and Castrol Edge 5W-30 Oil.

so it goes,

small - oil inspection (oil & filter change)
big - inspection (full service)

1st oil service @ 12k miles. . . . . then full service every 18k miles or 2yrs.

+++++++++

the engine has an oil level and quality sensor that can also trigger a inspection message.

+++++++++

ill assume that when you changed the oil yourself you didn't use a scan tool to reset the oil change counter?

+++++++++

you can call VW to ask for the service history, or call into your local dealer and ask for a service report on you van.

service history is logged locally and centrally for warranty claims

++++++++++

as above get a hard copy book and fill it in . . . then get some stamps. thats what I've done.

++++++++++

1637762908771.png

this is what VW say . . . (copied from OP)

**************************************************************************************************

Big, Small, Big, Small, Big, Small . . . . and so-on.

Source: Service Plan Options | VWCV - link removed by VW

new source (pay on demand): VW Commercial Vehicles Service Options | VW Vans - link removed by VW

Transporter T6 :

Interim service - £145+vat (oil/filter/Health check)

Interim service
We'll make sure to check the:

• Wipers, washers and fluid level
  • Horn
  • Lights
  • Condition of the front and rear lamps
  • Instruments
  • Battery 'magic eye'
  • Coolant level and anti-freeze strength
  • Condition of visible drive belts
  • Brake fluid level
  • Power-assisted steering wheel
  • Saturation indicator on the air filter (if fitted)
  • Tyre condition, wear patterns and tread depths
  • Tyre pressures and correct them if necessary
  • Brake system for leaks and damage
  • Thickness of the front and rear brake pads/linings
  • Steering and suspension for wear and leaks
  • Drive shafts
  • Condition of the exhaust system
  • Change the engine oil and filter
  • Reset the service interval delay

**************************************************************************************************

Full service - £295+vat (oil/filter/Health check/as per service schedule)

Full Service
We'll make sure to check the:

• Lights
  • Horn
  • Instruments
  • Washers and wipers and top-up fluid
  • Tyre condition and tread depths
  • Tyre pressures and correct them if needed
  • Airbags for visible damage
  • Sunroof
  • Tipper system and change the oil if necessary
  • Paint and bodywork for damage and corrosion
  • Expiry date on breakdown set
  • Engine and engine compartment for leaks
  • Condition of visible drive belts
  • Gearbox, final drive and rear axle for leaks and damage
  • Manual gearbox oil level
  • Final drive oil level
  • Brake system for leaks and damage
  • Thickness of the front and rear brake pads/linings
  • ABS sensor and cables
  • Underbody sealant and panels for damage
  • Supplementary rubber rings
  • Condition of the exhaust system
  • Steering joints and boot for wear and damage
  • Coolant levels and anti-freeze strength
  • Condition of the camshaft drive toothed belt
  • Power-assisted steering oil level
  • Brake fluid level and condition
  • ATF level (automatic)
  • Battery
  • Idle speed
  • Adjustment of headlights
  • Drive shaft
And we'll also:

• Run a vehicle systems test and read fault memories
  • Grease the front door check-strap and hinges
  • Grease the trailer coupling
  • Change the engine oil and filter
  • Change the gearbox oil if necessary
  • Change rear axle oil if necessary
  • Renew the air filter
  • Renew the pollen filter
  • Renew the fuel filter
  • Perform engine basic settings
  • Perform a road test

Most vans are set to Long-Life 18000mls/24mnths by the dealer.... But I've noticed if you play with the MFD it defaults back to 12000mls/12mnths (which I've done twice now....oops!)

• You can choose from two types of service regimes at VW Van Centre (Hatfield), depending on your driving methods. Your VW van also has the benefit of a service indicator on the dashboard to remind you of when a service is due.

• Service Regime One: Fixed Service (Time and Distance) – the first of 12,000 miles or 12 months
    • Recommended if you drive less than 10,000 miles a year
    • You drive your van mainly in town centres / heavy traffic
    • You make frequent short journeys
    • You often use your van for towing or heavily laden
    • Your driving style involves hard acceleration and braking
  • Service Regime Two: Flexible Service (Long Life Service) – the first of 18,000 miles or 24 months
    • Recommended if you drive over 25 miles a day
    • You often use your van for long distance journeys
    • You rarely tow with your van or use it to its maximum load capacity
    • You adopt an economical driving style with minimal engine loading

VOLKSWAGEN VEHICLE HEALTH CHECK:

34 POINT VISUAL CHECK OF ALL THE WEAR AND TEAR ITEMS ONYOUR CAR

Vehicle Health Checks | Across the UK | Lancaster Volkswagen

Main exclusions

All non-standard service work:

• Glass, including windscreen glass and head lamp lenses
  • Tyre replacement or puncture repair
  • Wheel alignment
  • Oil, air and fluid top-ups between services
  • Maintenance and repair of non-factory or non-standard fitted items/accessories
  • Broken aerials
  • Fuel
  • MOT (apart from the Buy 4 package)
  • Roadside Assistance
  • Camshaft belts/chains
  • Drive belts/chains
  • Body repairs
  • Any repairs or maintenance associated with the diesel particulate filter
Damage caused by:

• Negligence, abuse or misuse and accidents
  • Food, drink and cigarettes
  • Any form of corrosion including pollution, water, chemicals
  • Salt and weather
  • Using the incorrect oil or fuel
Service and maintenance plan

• Any repairs not deemed reasonable fair wear and tear
  • In-car entertainment (inc. audio, communications and navigation systems)
  • Internal and external trim and bodywork
  • Any maintenance or repairs to diesel particulate filters and any other form of catalytic reduction system
  • Warranty work
  • Tyre replacement or puncture repair
  • Oil and fluid top-ups between services
Service, maintenance and tyres plan

• Misuse or vandalism
  • Wheel alignment as a result of damage or negligence
  • Accidental damage and irreparable punctures
  • Replacement of non-standard tyres and upgrades
  • Tyre sealant, repair equipment and tyres that have been repaired using sealant or additives

Last edited by a moderator:
so it goes,

1st oil service @ 12k miles. . . . . then full service every 18k miles or 2yrs.

+++++++++

the engine has an oil level and quality sensor that can also trigger a inspection message.

+++++++++

ill assume that when you changed the oil yourself you didn't use a scan tool to reset the oil change counter?

+++++++++

you can call VW to ask for the service history, or call into your local dealer and ask for a service report on you van.

service history is logged locally and centrally for warranty claims

++++++++++

as above get a hard copy book and fill it in . . . then get some stamps. thats what I've done.

++++++++++

View attachment 137466

Got the book on your recommendation, filled it out, and then reset the oil changer counter as is now showing 8,400 miles till next oil change.

the so called inspection service is just a ploy to get you in and they will find something to over charge you
turn it off with vcds
Not far off the mark!

Had my inspection message pop up! Was going in to have my “all in one” eligibility check so I mentioned it!

Jeez wept! £70 to turn it off and tell me that I’ll be due a service in March! When I finished handing the Service Manager his arse back on a plate, (neatly sliced and diced with a side order of lightly braised testicles,) the charge evaporated!!!

(Of course, I would never capitalise on the fact that he had unfortunately left himself in a rather precarious position of being unable to present an “inspection report” separate to the “eligibility check” report when he was seeking payment for the services provided and I wouldn’t let him let him leave the desk to knock one up retrospectively. I may even have referenced “double dipping” as I tore him a fresh one!)

Back