AdBlue Discussion and Issues

I had 4500 left in the tank (13ltrs) and when I topped it up it took about 8ltrs. Now i top it up every Saturday as part of my weekly checks

My understanding is that the NOx emissions increase exponentially with engine output - thus there is heavy interdepence with engine loading and AdBlue consumption.

My use of the van is quite light - most of the time just boring 80-90 km/h (50-55mph), not much weight of cargo. I topped up the AdBlue in September and since done about 7000 km, and remaining AdBlue range is now 7500 km. So in my case the MFD AdBlue range has been quite pessimistic - I'm reaching more than predicted and the AdBlue range counter is stepping down slowlier than I accumulate km's/miles.

Early statistics ---> Adblue Refill
Current "prediction" seems to be about the same.

I’m finding I get better range than predicted too. As @mmi says, it’s probably related to engine loading, much the same as fuel economy

I had 4500 left in the tank (13ltrs) and when I topped it up it took about 8ltrs. Now i top it up every Saturday as part of my weekly checks
Wow, what mileage are you doing? I top mine up roughly every 3000m and there’s always loads left at that point.

It’s probably best to wait till the mfd pings up saying it needs filling about 1500 miles left, then only fill it what the min/max amount of gallons says as over filling can drown the ablue sensor causing adblue faults to occur.

I do drive mine very hard it’s ususlly flat out on motorways in Europe or on a track :D

Maybe the range indicator was calibrated by the engineers who come up with their rather optimistic fuel economy statistics ....

We've been working in Scotland for the last few days, leaving on Sunday early morning. The day before I left, I popped to my local Shell, and filled the van up with fuel, and used the Adblue pump to fill up the Adblue tank, as I normally would, holding the pump until it automatically clicks to indicate it's full.

About 300 miles into our drive, my Adblue warning came up, saying I had 650 miles left, which was odd, but I carried on driving because there wasn't much I could do at 4am on the M6. 20 mins later, it flashed up saying 600 miles left, and instructed me that the engine wouldn't re-start after switch off.
At this point i'm worried that I might be leaking Adblue because the milage kept dropping, so I came off at the next services and checked under the van, nothing.
I recalled a thread that @Loz had mentioned something about over filling the tank, but couldn't find it at the time, so gingerly continued on my journey.
After about an hour, the light vanished, and my true reading of 5000 miles left appeared thankfully.
It just so happened that we were working near a VW dealership, so I popped in to have a quick chat. They sent out a tech who explained to me that once your warning comes up, it will tell you how much to put in the tank. If you go past this point, sometimes it tricks the sensor into thinking it's actually empty. He also said if i'd of switched off the van, it wouldn't of re-started. He said this is becoming more of a common problem, than people actually running out of Adblue, and VW should be putting out a warning to all Adblue drivers.

Lesson learnt, and hopefully anyone reading this will take note.

Also remember when filling with adblue....

Before you start the engine....

Switch the ignition ON and ** WAIT ** !!!! ........

For 30 or so seconds untill the dash MFI registers the new adblue amount.

Once the new value/range is shown...
Then you can Start the engine..

This helps with the miss reading adblue problem, failure to do this will result in the problem above of the system not reading the refilled amount.

See 5:35min on this vid;

Edit:

T6 Owners Manual: (Behold the Book Of Knowledge)
T6 Owners Manual

Page 346 people . . . . . .

27.JPG

Last edited:

I saw that thread, and several others about Adblue, but they get diluted with other issues on the same subject, and the original message gets a little lost, as our threads tend to do sometimes. (which is more than often my fault for jumping in the middle to try and be funny) as we do :whistle:

Last Monday driving back home from Cornwall adblue warning came on, it went from 5000 miles to 650 but intrestingly the max min fill info did not show up also subsequently on start up a message came up saying DEF error . I took it into the dealership today(7.30am) to check up, spoke to them late afternoon and they have a technical query in with VW so will be very interested as to what the outcome is! This is the 3rd or 4th time an adblue issue has come up so with a few long trips coming up this year I hope they fix it! Van is a 102

Last Monday driving back home from Cornwall adblue warning came on, it went from 5000 miles to 650 but intrestingly the max min fill info did not show up also subsequently on start up a message came up saying DEF error . I took it into the dealership today(7.30am) to check up, spoke to them late afternoon and they have a technical query in with VW so will be very interested as to what the outcome is! This is the 3rd or 4th time an adblue issue has come up so with a few long trips coming up this year I hope they fix it! Van is a 102
Had a call from the dealer today apparently they have traced the problem to a tiny leak in one of the adblue pipes although also still waiting for info from VW. He says this is the first time they have come across this and he described it as a bit of an epic to find it! I am looking forward to the full report on Monday!

I still think the Adblue range indication in MFD is bollocks! I have just got back from a round trip down to Malaga, at the start of trip the Ablue range said 5000 miles, we did just over 2400 miles and it now says 4500 miles still available WTF?

Had a call from the dealer today apparently they have traced the problem to a tiny leak in one of the adblue pipes although also still waiting for info from VW. He says this is the first time they have come across this and he described it as a bit of an epic to find it! I am looking forward to the full report on Monday!
Picked up the van today and the explanation for the adblue issue was that the tiny leak found in the pipe was causing a pressure problem in the tank , so when the adblue pump pulsed to inject it the level in the tanks was not compensating so the gauge read a low reading and then could not reset hence the drop from 5000miles to 650 but no max min level showing. They had some very long conversations with VW tech but now say problem fixed ! we shall see, as mentioned earlier we have a number of long trips coming up over the next 6 months or so. As a precuation of have noted positions of VW dealers in Scotland!! Really hope this is a fix I only have 12 months warranty left!

I still think the Adblue range indication in MFD is bother! I have just got back from a round trip down to Malaga, at the start of trip the Ablue range said 5000 miles, we did just over 2400 miles and it now says 4500 miles still available WTF?
I think adblue consumption is down largely to driving styles ie heaviness of the right foot! There does not seem to be much of a correlation between miles covered and adblue used!

Back