P20EE, P204F Fault Codes - Main dealer, Warranty, - SHOCKING !!!

Hilly64

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Some may have seen my other post re the validity and value of the All-in-Warranty from crank case oil seal leak to failed engine mount and finally ongoing P20EE and P204F faults causing engine emission light to activate (strangely only during a long run). There is another thread currently asking is the Warranty worth it …. I’m not convinced

So get this:

I have had SIX Yes SIX visits to the dealership since April 2023 plus FOUR VW Assist Call outs and they cannot find or fix the fault causing the error codes.

The dealer says that they have to follow test plans and unless they can prove a part is faulty VW Warranty will not cover anything? I have had glow plug 3 replaced, Adblue tested and measured, more forced regens than hot dinners and a seal to a turbo pipe replaced all to no avail.

So after six attempts I now have the same fault codes and amber warning light plus did have the Adblue Error message and 650 mile countdown which reset after a couple of days.

Today the dealer said and I quote

We cannot find or diagnose a fault. You will now have to authorise us and cover our costs to start stripping components down in order to examine condition and investigate if said components might be causing the issues but as we go through the process the costs associated with checking components that do not show damage or that we can prove are causing the fault codes will be chargeable as the Warranty will not cover these costs”. WTAF !!!

They also suggest that the warranty does not cover running test plans and diagnostics and have said not to drive with EML on but we can’t get me in again until March.

This is the most I have ever spent on a vehicle by far and probably the worst mistake I have ever made. The warranty is proving to be worthless!

My old T5 gave me so much more joy and significantly less pain.

We have put space craft on Mars but VW can not fix a faulty van

Looks like I need to find another run around for the next twelve months while I try to get mine fixed but I am holding out little hope ….. today the dealer even suggested we may be looking at a new engine eventually but thats after I pay them a fortune for not finding a fault. Seems dramatic given the van seems to drive ok.

Sounds like I am moaning because I am. I really dont know what to do next.

Going to try for help from VW Assist, great guys and talk sense
Going to email VW Customer services and raise a complaint …. Not holding much hope

Any advice for a desperately disappointed T6 owner

Are we saying they can't find any fault with the van?

Or that there is a fault that they can't find?

Have you tried a different garage?

There’s obviously a fault hence codes but it is intermittent and they can’t find a cause or a part that is to blame

By its nature being intermittent its not straight forward but if it is SCR then can’t be too many areas to look at

Could go another garage but if main dealer they will be limited to same test plans and others are even longer wait to get in

Could go another garage but if main dealer they will be limited to same test plans and others are even longer wait to get in
- true, but also a different set of mechanics.

that may have seen this before and know exactly what to look at.

or have a different outlook on how to tackle the issue.

not all mechanics are equal - some will just fob you off and quote the rules, others will tackle the problem at hand and get to the bottom of it.

looks like you have tried everything else. - so why not try a different main dealer garage?

I've got the same errors on my van and adblue countdown, van is now in a second garage after the first one hadn't managed to find anything

Out of warranty so the plus side is I don't have to stress about that, downside is now it's at the second garage I'll have to foot the bill myself. The first garage fitted the new turbos and since they did that it went wrong so they looked at their cost.

- true, but also a different set of mechanics.

that may have seen this before and know exactly what to look at.

or have a different outlook on how to tackle the issue.

not all mechanics are equal - some will just fob you off and quote the rules, others will tackle the problem at hand and get to the bottom of it.

looks like you have tried everything else. - so why not try a different main dealer garage?
I agree however from what I am being told by VW Dealers and VW Assist is that which ever mechanic looks at the issue they are not allowed to go "off-piste" or use their experience and initiative. I also don't believe they are afforded the time to get to the bottom of things and tackle problems hence they are now suggesting I have to pay for them to start looking for other things away from the test plans .... "here you go Mr Dealer have a blank cheque, knock your self out at £200/hr" . when he said it could be a new engine was when I realised I am in trouble.

In all honesty Leicester as an alternative does not fill me with optimism. any recommendations in the East Midlands?

It is ridiculous in that it must have cost VW £2k plus up to now in time and expense without including my losses and still at the same place as last April

VW lay down test plans which have to be followed particularly for Warranty Claims and if the computer says no then thats it. The onus is then on the mechanic to clearly evidence a part is faulty. I am going to look through the T&Cs today as by definition not all faults are failed components

In my case the test plans or diagnostic guidance was exhausted 2 visits ago according to VW Assist who took me through it and took the time to explain .... they are great guys, the dealers on the other hand!

It is also clear the dealers use VW Assist as their mobile mechanics

Last edited:
Every now and again my van will show an EML light down to the P20EE code.
I'm monitoring the mileage and frequency of this but as yet there is no pattern. It is infrequent and doesn't affect the way the van performs at all.
My theory is that a sensor is recording an out of range value sufficient to trigger the EML but there is no actual fault.
If it was a true fault the EML would trigger straight after a reset. It doesn't.
I'm continuing to monitor the situation - If I was seeing the occurrences getting more frequent I'd be more concerned, but I'm not.

I'm monitoring the mileage and frequency of this but as yet there is no pattern. It is infrequent and doesn't affect the way the van performs at all.
My theory is that a sensor is recording an out of range value sufficient to trigger the EML but there is no actual fault.
If it was a true fault the EML would trigger straight after a reset. It doesn't.
I'm continuing to monitor the situation - If I was seeing the occurrences getting more frequent I'd be more concerned, but I'm not.
I would agree, my EML has come on 3 times with the P20EE code, the first time it was flushed and a new ERG pipe fitted, the next two times ( a year between) was whilst on the continent driving in very hot weather (once with the 650 miles warning). Both times I reset it and it never came back, whereas if it was a true fault it would surely pop up again.

I would agree, my EML has come on 3 times with the P20EE code, the first time it was flushed and a new ERG pipe fitted, the next two times ( a year between) was whilst on the continent driving in very hot weather (once with the 650 miles warning). Both times I reset it and it never came back, whereas if it was a true fault it would surely pop up again.
Did that 650 miles reset by itself?

yes after about 50 miles, can't prove it but I recon it was after a regen which probably lowered the ad-blue level enough for the sensor to read it. I had about 5000 miles of ad-blue in the tank so when I refill it, which will be soon, back to that level it will be interesting to see if it comes back. I did go in to see VW Croydon but they had never come across the 650 miles issue so I thought better of letting them go down the rabbit hole of investigation. Its as Dell says, much better if you can find a garage that has experience of these issues rather than being the guinea pig

yes after about 50 miles, can't prove it but I recon it was after a regen which probably lowered the ad-blue level enough for the sensor to read it. I had about 5000 miles of ad-blue in the tank so when I refill it, which will be soon, back to that level it will be interesting to see if it comes back. I did go in to see VW Croydon but they had never come across the 650 miles issue so I thought better of letting them go down the rabbit hole of investigation. Its as Dell says, much better if you can find a garage that has experience of these issues rather than being the guinea pig

Definitely!

I've lost all faith in my van atm with all the adblue trouble I've been having and have an Alps trip booked for the summer :mad:

Really hope it'll be sorted and that I've had some months of trouble free driving before then!

Definitely!

I've lost all faith in my van atm with all the adblue trouble I've been having and have an Alps trip booked for the summer :mad:

Really hope it'll be sorted and that I've had some months of trouble free driving before then!
I always said that if my ad blue became troublesome I’d map it out. I wouldn’t let something so flakey, that even the manufacturer can’t fix, ruin my ability to use the van with confidence. No issues so far.
Same with egr, and that went as soon as it started to be an issue.

I have a pattern - only on longer runs 50 mile plus

VW Assist suggested that is when the systems can run calibration software but who knows, dealers don't necessarily agree

they don't like the P20EE code as too generic apparently

yes bizarrely after a 50 mile run. Tank was at 2500 range and VW Assist measured via software and it was in line volume wise.#

The Adblue was an error message not a refill message

Definitely!

me too, so excited when I brought it. give me my old 07 T5 back any day

I always said that if my ad blue became troublesome I’d map it out. I wouldn’t let something so flakey, that even the manufacturer can’t fix, ruin my ability to use the van with confidence. No issues so far.
Same with egr, and that went as soon as it started to be an issue.

has crossed my mind but would mean losing the rest of the Warranty, let me think? its useless anyway

anyone recommend one that can and will pick this up through warranty. I am in Leicester

as a fellow member summarised:

"They are saying that they know there’s a fault but as they aren’t competent enough to find it it could end up being costly for them, so you can pay to find it and then they’ll fix it.
It’s utterly ridiculous"

So today they have decided ( bearing in mind they had said they had previously exhausted the VW test plans) that the next step is to look into the inlet manifold with a borescope to check its not blocked or sooted up? this is going to take 2 hrs labour plus new inlet pipe and cost me just shy of £500.

If they don't find a fault they will move on and consider an EGR Flush again debatable who pays.

If in the unlikely event they discover soot will the warranty then argue it is exhaust related even though in the inlet manifold and decline?

so this is all about an intermittent P20EE and P204F SCR fault that only surfaces on a longer run other that that the Van runs fine.... I can't help but think they are now clutching at straws at my expense

the issue I have is that I have the All-in-warranty and generally expect to be covered for faults. I appreciate dealer can't spend hours fault finding at their cost but surely the warranty should cover the costs. The dealer even started talking about proving a manufacturer's defective part. Now I know that the policy excludes more than it includes but not read that one in the T&Cs

Anyone any idea about this inlet manifold jiba jaba ...... can't see it myself only a waste of £500 and onto the next

I have raised a complaint with VW and will try to talk to the warranty underwriters tomorrow but this is unreasonable and mental IMO

Would be helpful to know what year and what engine (code from sticker by steering column). Even better would be to know engine's software version as quite a few engines were updated because of the mentioned fault codes.

Have you owned the van from new? Do you know the history of the van - is the engine running OEM software?

Anyone any idea about this inlet manifold jiba jaba ....
Difficult to see how the inlet manifold would trigger those faults.

My thoughts exactly, very strange reasoning to start thinking air inlet. As stated van drives fine just constant errors when on a steady run cruising at 70 at 2000 rpm

2019 T6 T32 DSG Kombi 56k miles, will grab engine ref when light

So far:
Had software update back in May 23 inc Adblue vouchers
Had glow plug 3 replaced
Had Adblue pump performance tested x 2
Had injector replaced
Had numerous forced regens

All without success.

Each and every VW Assist Tech have said Adblue pump or system

Got nowhere to go with this. Don’t know why they can’t fix. Surely can’t be that difficult

Others have mentioned try another dealer but can’t get in locally until May and I still believe they are limited to the same VW methodology

Any thoughts?

If the inlet manifold was becoming blocked surely you'd have all sorts of running issues?
Defo. Runs smooth. Pulls. No issues starting. Had 40+ mpg the other day.

Apart from the instance of the resetting adblue error rest is just error codes and emission light on after every long trip

Back