Adblue Refill

Mine's showing 3500 miles to go before refill but yet I've done 3200 miles.......so at this rate I suspect I won't be refilling until I've gone beyond 7000 miles. Would I be right in thinking that if you use your van for long journey's only (mine usually never does trips of less than 20 miles), this is beneficial to the whole of the emissions/fuel system?

Mine has just changed too 2000 miles remaining and i have done 2000 miles . I only do short journeys really to me factory and back 10 miles each way. You must be a great steady driver @mopardave to get that mileage from your add-blue. When i collected the combi it was showing 4500 of add-blue, i presume it was full but i dont no for sure.

Mine was showing 4500 on collection too. I think it probably has more to do with the fact that I encounter very little traffic on my 20 mile run so I'm presuming that when it's up to temp, the emissions system doesn't need to introduce much adblue???

Sorry to bring this topic up again..... but...., my 150BHP was delivered showing 8000 km's adblue range, I've covered 2000 km's...but it's still showing 8000 km's to go. (Most journeys have been a few hours rather than short trips). Faulty sensor or will it start dropping soon? thx

Sorry to bring this topic up again..... but...., my 150BHP was delivered showing 8000 km's adblue range, I've covered 2000 km's...but it's still showing 8000 km's to go. (Most journeys have been a few hours rather than short trips). Faulty sensor or will it start dropping soon? thx
I’m slightly ahead you but seeing the same. Though 204PS. But shouldn't be that different.

Below a table of AdBlue range values recorded at 1000 km intervals. The “more precise” remaining range values are extracted from ECU (the MFD rounds them up, for example values 7000-…7499 km will be shown as 7500 km, thus making it quite difficult to estimate real consumption).

Km's driven -- AdBlue remaining range
10 km -- 7300 km
1000 km -- 8400 km
2000 km -- 8900 km
3000 km -- 8400 km
4000 km -- 7900 km
5000 km -- 7600 km
6000 km -- 7200 km
7000 km -- 6700 km

A sensor failure would have been recorded and probably would even had turned on a warning light. I have had no faults this far, also the readings of the sensors are plausible and actual AdBlue level slowly going down.

A kind of trend I see looking all the recorded values is that it took about 2000 km’s to the AdBlue range counter to stabilize – to reach a steady rate going down (instead of stepping up) with the kilometers driven, though not quite there yet.

So far so good.

I tested this on my Sharan 7N 2012.
Got to 0km Adblue range, red warning light came on. Drove for another 100km.
Bought 10 litres of Adblue on the way and when I stopped and switched engine off it wouldn't start.
Then topped up Adblue and it started again no problem.

Hi, I've had my T6.1 since the end of December and the adblue warning popped up yesterday along with the exhaust systems fault light. The owners manual is useless as it doesn't state how to check the levels so that I know how much to put in. To be on the safe side I put 5 litres in but after a google search still cat cant check the levels. I do not have a 'menu' button on the steering wheel but through the OK button can enter the driving data area but all it says is 'Adblue needs topping up. Any help gratefully received as I cant get a garage slot for 2 weeks!

Hi, I've had my T6.1 since the end of December and the adblue warning popped up yesterday along with the exhaust systems fault light. The owners manual is useless as it doesn't state how to check the levels so that I know how much to put in. To be on the safe side I put 5 litres in but after a google search still cat cant check the levels. I do not have a 'menu' button on the steering wheel but through the OK button can enter the driving data area but all it says is 'Adblue needs topping up. Any help gratefully received as I cant get a garage slot for 2 weeks!
Hi @Beverley K …..hope this helps…..My T6 recently had the engine management light come on….so I called out the VW assist ( aa man) they basically booked me in to my local van centre next day ….as it was Adblue issue……fixed on the same day….Turns out it required a software update….best bit was they gave me free refills for Ad blue :)

I‘d call out VW assist……that’s if it’s still in warranty ( when you ring the call centre they will let you know if it’s covered) :thumbsup:

ps..I had the extended warranty package…it’s worth getting

Hi @Beverley K …..hope this helps…..My T6 recently had the engine management light come on….so I called out the VW assist ( aa man) they basically booked me in to my local van centre next day ….as it was Adblue issue……fixed on the same day….Turns out it required a software update….best bit was they gave me free refills for Ad blue :)

I‘d call out VW assist……that’s if it’s still in warranty ( when you ring the call centre they will let you know if it’s covered) :thumbsup:
I mentioned the fact that the light came on at the same time as the adblue notification but they didn't seem to think it was connected. It is under warranty so I'll do that. Thanks for the tip. I'll ask if he knows how to find the adblue levels at the same time!

A quick update. VW assist were great, came to my house and advised that there was an issue with the adblue system but they couldn't fix it as it was below 10 degrees! it turns out that im not doing enough mileage to warrant a diesel and he advised that the problem will regularly reoccur and suggested I get a petrol engine instead! We only bought the van at the end of December, but its already outside of the 30 day no quibble exchange period. Wish me luck as I'm going to suggest they swap it for a petrol version. I made it clear what mileage we do, its also been adapted as my husband is disabled (side step and hoist) I cant believe they sold it to us. Disappointed :(

There are plenty of people on here who do limited mileage including myself. I do however make sure that I don’t do lots of short journeys back to back and I do keep the fuel topped up.

A quick update. VW assist were great, came to my house and advised that there was an issue with the adblue system but they couldn't fix it as it was below 10 degrees! it turns out that im not doing enough mileage to warrant a diesel and he advised that the problem will regularly reoccur and suggested I get a petrol engine instead! We only bought the van at the end of December, but its already outside of the 30 day no quibble exchange period. Wish me luck as I'm going to suggest they swap it for a petrol version. I made it clear what mileage we do, its also been adapted as my husband is disabled (side step and hoist) I cant believe they sold it to us. Disappointed :(
Pardon my french, but your man is talking B0110x. In addition to our van which does around 10k miles /year, we also have a Skoda Yeti that does 2kmiles/year. The Yeti has the same 2litre 150ps VW engine as fitted to the transporter. The Yeti is 6 years old, has done 18k miles & never missed a beat.

Pardon my french, but your man is talking B0110x. In addition to our van which does around 10k miles /year, we also have a Skoda Yeti that does 2kmiles/year. The Yeti has the same 2litre 150ps VW engine as fitted to the transporter. The Yeti is 6 years old, has done 18k miles & never missed a beat.
I think you might be right, it's so annoying when you get this sort of comment as it makes you doubt your purchase. Turns out the issue was a blocked pipe which has been sorted and it's running like a dream! Im loving the nods and waves Im getting from other transporter drivers too!

I think you might be right, it's so annoying when you get this sort of comment as it makes you doubt your purchase. Turns out the issue was a blocked pipe which has been sorted and it's running like a dream! Im loving the nods and waves Im getting from other transporter drivers too!
Yep - had our 150 ps T6.1 from new, it has done about 18k miles and this is the first time the adblue warning has come up. The vast majority of our driving is over an hour and at a steady 73 mph. Strangely the exhaust warning light has come up at same time. But does anybody know how big the adblue tank is on a this van. The reason I ask is that the dash message says minimum top up is 3.2 Gallons and max 5.3 which is a hell of a lot when compared to some of the published the stats for the capacity of the tank. But I expect the published stats are wrong because compared to our old T5 the diesel tank is 20 L smaller which I guess is the space taken up by the adblue tank.

OK. It's in the VW T6.1 brochure. 22 Litres. Of course being Imperial there are several different versions of the Gallon, the normal UK one and then the US has two. So that's probably why the gallons figure seems so high, I guess it's quoting US gallons which are smaller than UK Imperial! I came across this once in the marine trade when we had to order enough paint to cover a big yacht and when it arrived from the States there wasn't enough - checked our calculations and they were correct but the gallons were different!

Last edited:
OK. It's in the VW T6.1 brochure. 22 Litres. Of course being Imperial there are several different versions of the Gallon, the normal UK one and then the US has two. So that's probably why the gallons figure seems so high, I guess it's quoting US gallons which are smaller than UK Imperial! I came across this once in the marine trade when we had to order enough paint to cover a big yacht and when it arrived from the States there wasn't enough - checked our calculations and they were correct but the gallons were different!
Switch to metric on dash to be sure.
Really annoys me they use us gallons for uk vehicles. No need for that crap.

Back