EGR Valve Self Test Procedure (IDE00242)- P046C?

Earlier timestamp is the 2 stage journey before EGR removal. Later is the 1 stage journey after EGR removal. EGR was blanked both sides and mapped out.
Curious to see if you find anything useful or interesting!

Thank you for the data!

I hope everything went well in your EGR deletion and you can stop worrying about it...

Unfortunately the first trip file doesn't contain EGR position information, I guess because CarScanner only records what was on the screen, not the hidden ones. So, we can't really see if there was a regen during the trip. But, it still serves what I was after - during the trip there was no abnormally high EGR temperatures observed. In fact, the EGR cooler managed to keep the temperature nice and cool amazingly well throughout the trip.

1710964471224.png

Compare this to statistics of one of my trips in quite cold (-13 °C) - the output temperature averages at 135 °C and peaks at 204°C. This is perfectly normal too, in cold temperatures the EGR cooler is bypassed to keep the engine warm. It just serves to show yours was really well in the cool range.

Code:
                                          unit   count      ts_0      ts_n           val_0           val_n             min             max             avg          median      std_dev
ambient_temperature                          C   21964   13.4330 4407.8763        -13.5000        -13.5000        -15.5000        -12.0000        -14.0975        -14.5000       0.8806
IDE07729_egr_cooler_output_temperature       C   10264    2.3954 4407.6773         -6.5000        116.0000         -6.5000        204.2000        135.5681        144.2000      42.5796

I'll try to take a look at also the position data from the return trip as well asap - it will be interesting to see how the ECU sees the deleted EGR!

Here's the entire trip after @coopso's EGR deletion. Messy graph but shows specified and actual values follow each other really well throughout. ECU must be well happy and thinking the EGR is just perfect ;)

1710967291875.png

There's not a lot of EGR closed (around zero) moments in this sample - those were the moments in previous data where we saw actual valve position not respecting the specified position. There's only short sections of flat around 7400s and here the actual position seems to be in perfect sync with the specified value. So... I don't know how they trick the ECU in these deletes but at least based on this sample I would say it looks to be doing exactly what it's supposed to.

1710967619562.png

Great stuff, thanks. I have no idea how the mapping is done, I'm just a civilian ;)

I will say that the job was made harder by the fact the Caravelle has factory Webasto setup, as the pipework is in the way of the EGR. I'm just reporting what the engineer told me. He persisted though, and the job was done :thumbsup:

So the other thing(s) I guess I'm concerned about are turbos. No reason, no issues noted - just a feeling that they would be expensive to repair or replace. Is there something that I should be measuring/monitoring?

So the other thing(s) I guess I'm concerned about are turbos. No reason, no issues noted - just a feeling that they would be expensive to repair or replace. Is there something that I should be measuring/monitoring?
Haha maybe we have to wait until @mmi comes up with a turbo test thread in order to not litter this thread completely :whistle:

Last edited:
Back