AdBlue Discussion and Issues

CRD

T6 Guru
O.k, so as my Kombi has been upgraded from Euro 5 140 to Euro 6 150, I've now got Adblue to get my head around, so this is a question to those in the know- how long does the 12 litres last and what would happen if you run out of Adblue? Can the engine still run on diesel only?
Bit of a noob question I know!

I have the 204 engine which is very similar - we're only on 750 miles and the Adblue has gone from 4500 miles when new to 4000 then stuck there. I was a little worried about it but the engine is SO much more refined and better on fuel that the worry has gone out of the window.
If you do run out, your engine will not start so it's critical to keep it topped up but it will give you a number of warnings before that happens - most petrol stations sell it and many are starting to install AdBlue pumps. Just top up well before it gets low - but consumption of the stuff really isn't an issue.

4000-4500 miles between refills isn't too bad.
Never noticed the stuff before but since hearing discussions about it I have started to notice it for sale all over the place most petrol stations & Halfords stock it as do all car parts sellers & main dealers etc and with more and more EU6 engines on the road I don't think your ever going to stuck for a place to buy it

I have the 204 engine which is very similar - we're only on 750 miles and the Adblue has gone from 4500 miles when new to 4000 then stuck there. I was a little worried about it but the engine is SO much more refined and better on fuel that the worry has gone out of the window.
If you do run out, your engine will not start so it's critical to keep it topped up but it will give you a number of warnings before that happens - most petrol stations sell it and many are starting to install AdBlue pumps. Just top up well before it gets low - but consumption of the stuff really isn't an issue.
Thanks for that @Polzeylad. I'll be averaging around 600 miles a week so I'll keep a close eye on levels, it's important to know that the engine won't start! Is there a constant level by means of a separate gauge or is remaining range displayed same as fuel range that you have to cycle through on the OBC?

Thanks for that @Polzeylad. I'll be averaging around 600 miles a week so I'll keep a close eye on levels, it's important to know that the engine won't start! Is there a constant level by means of a separate gauge or is remaining range displayed same as fuel range that you have to cycle through on the OBC?
Hi CRD and welcome. When you get down to a certain level (I think 1500 miles left) it shows in the MFD on start up and you really can't miss it.

One you get to a 1000 miles left it warns you quite frequently, eventually it will bleep every 27 miles or something silly on the MFD. at least the tank located intense me place as the wife's Tiguan, in the boot, under the spare wheel. Buy some of Amazon 10L is pretty cheap now. I've been told for it to register properly you have to add a min of 5L

Can the engine still run on diesel only?
Bit of a noob question I know!

The engine only runs on diesel. Nothing else. The adblue gets injected into the exhaust dpf to reduce nox emissions.

It's called selective catalyst reduction.

Some cars go into safe mode if you don't top it up. Vw don't do that. They basically won't turn the engine on if warnings are ignored .

Theses safe modes are only there for you to obey the rules. No other reason.

I'm sure they can be switched off eventually like a dpf delete.

Dpf delete on these engines are allot more difficult also side the dpf is built into the exhaust manifold which in turn is part of the head assembly.

Gosh !
i was just thinking about all the numptys out there that sometimes put the wrong fuel in .. petrol/diesel
then i thought OMG someone is going to put adblue in the fuel tank by mistake one day
its supposed to be highly corrosive
thats got to be byby engine time

Do you have to use VW adblue when topping up or can use other makes without effecting warranties etc.
Can't get a straight answer from local dealer, but it's alot cheaper to buy from motor factors than VW, surely it's all the same stuff?

Definitely don't buy it from a main dealer, they rip the ares out of it. Do a google search for Adblue garages, there are a few beginning to pop up now and it's only 59p a litre

Reactions: DM1
Call round and check prices, I get the best price from the Mercedes truck dealer which is .58 ppl inc the vat. Thy have a large tank and just fill it up like a petrol pump so no sodding about with drums from Halfords etc.

Interestingly my 150 was showing 4500 miles range on the adblue when I picked it up. When I had managed to put a1000 miles on the clock it changed up to 5000miles? Just watching to see what happens next...

When I took ours in for two warranty jobs, I got the tank topped up. It was about half full and I got charged over £40. Didn't think about it at the time but that's around £7-8 a litre.
Lesson learned....

The Vel whines like a bitch over add-blu. It got down to just 600 miles remaining; my god it would not shut up. Stopped at the next garage a bought 10litres for £15, the container had a built in spout which was helpful. 10litres didn't quite fill it, but nearly. I had used about 100galons of fuel= 450 litres. So it costs 1500p/450litres = about 3p of add-blu per litre of fuel. So it does add up; effectively your fuel is 3p per litre more expensive. But that would drop to 1p/litre of fuel used from the forecourt add-blu dispenser, which I suppose is bugger all.

Picked up my van on Tuesday evening and the dealer made a point of telling me not to keep adding small amounts as it won't register, so wait until it needs a 'proper' refill.

Picked up my van on Tuesday evening and the dealer made a point of telling me not to keep adding small amounts as it won't register, so wait until it needs a 'proper' refill.
That's right, I put the first five litres in, and nothing registered, then put the rest in (10litres in total) and it was showing 4500miles add-blu range.

Back