I have only had them on a month and had no spare time to investigate where the rub is on the limit, I will put it to the top of my to do list :) Not sure about the numbers on the Devonports, sorry.
Not a mechanic or good on tools but maybe i should have added a small spacer ? I will post when i find an answer.
I fitted 15mm spacers and 53mm extended radius wheel bolts from Transporter HQ in the end and that was enough to get rid of the slight rub on steering limit, It also makes the van feel more stable and a better feel on the road.

Question: If i am running Devonports with higher rolling radius tyres 235/65/17, would i need to inform my insurance company of this ??

I’d like something of that size for the same reason of poor roads (plus I think 235/65 on 17x8ish fills the arches really nicely).

I agree the Falken Wildpeak look really good. I’ve been weighing up my options and considering them in the shortlist.

However, I’m curious as to whether or not a different (non-AT) tyre of the same size would be an equally adequate solution for poor roads, whilst also having better grip and fuel economy. e.g. Nokian Weatherproof SUV (235/65 R17) which is an All-Season tyre with a roll resistance rating of C and a wet grip rating of A, compared to the Falken Wildpeak’s rating of D and C.

exactly my thought process at the minute.

Which way did you go in the end?

I like the Falken Wildpeaks, they look good and don't look too aggressive for road use.

@vegt is you van lowered?

Yeah, lowered approximately 40mm with ST X coilovers for an even arch gap all round.

I posted full deets in the 17s thread, there’s a lot of other posts there too with wheel/tyre/suspension info if that helps. :thumbsup:

View attachment 162358

Wheels: 17” Fuel Zephyr (8.5j, with a 15mm spacer on rears)
Tyres: 235/65 R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3WA AT 108H
Suspension: Lowered about 40mm with ST X coilovers

update .. Tuff Torque do not have centre caps to fit. Problem I have is the nuts are 17mm Hex heads and the VW plastic caps are for 19mm..
Ha, exactly the same issue here. I never even thought of that, got the Tuff Torques fitted and bought the VW hub covers - of course, they're not able to grab hold as the retainer is 19mm and the bolt head 17mm. Now wondering if there are adaptors available or else it'll be my old friend Sugru put to use as a bodge to get these attached .

I've had the van 7 years now and my only modification previously was a set of Michelin Latitude Cross in the stock 235/55x17 size on the original Devonports. I used to race motorbikes in Cross Country Rally (think Dakar Rally only I'm not quite at that level) and now help organise off road motorcycle events so need the ability to get out of wet muddy fields and navigate forest roads, the van also gets used as an impromptu camper with a set of insulated window blinds and a camp bed in the back.

It is also my daily driver but i've worked at home since March 2020 and even now only have to go in one day a week. In that time I've also changed jobs so replaced a 45 mile each way x 5 days a week commute with a 13 mile each way one day a week commute (yes 450 miles a week replaced by 26 miles :) ). So as i'm hardly using the van for commuting duties anymore, I thought i'd look to improving its usefulness for weekend trips out and event organising.

I have just replaced the double front bench seat with a single, for happiness from the Mrs and access to the rear when used a camper, swivels are next on the list as well as some sound deadening/insulation.

That might be it for now as I need the ability to transport two motorbikes or two e-bikes in the back.

So what to do with the tyres?

The rears are approaching replacement time but the fronts have loads of life left in them. So do I replace them with another pair of Latitude Cross at £150 a pop, or look for a cheaper alternative and sod the cross country ability, on the basis the fronts will drag it through anything rough. Or replace all four for a bigger size for at a cost of £600+

Maybe not then, as the cost of having to buy 4 new tyres at once makes a change of size difficult to justify at this time (hey I've just spent far too much on that seat).

And to be honest not sure if I want to go for the full swamper look although I am tempted by BFG ATs as i've used them on a number of previous Land Rovers (I had 11 different Land Rovers and a brief interlude with a Vito rust bucket before seeing the light and buying the T6).

So question is, does anyone know of a tyre available in 235/55x17 that's a bit more aggressive than the latitude cross and still meets the load rating of 103? I am aware there are a number of tyres sold for SUVs in this size but they all seem to have a load rating of 99.

Screenshot 2022-07-17 at 21.52.46.pngScreenshot 2022-07-17 at 21.53.06.png

Nice looking set up and bike.
Tyre wise have a look at the General Grabber AS 365. I've got a set a got from someone on here and have a good tread pattern. I'm sure they'll handle muddy fields and tracks ok.

Hi there gang are these any good . Roadcruza RA1100 on 16 inch steels .tyres are 225/70r/16 . There available if anyone is interested.291865FA-F37A-43EF-88A2-BCD271B30D17.jpeg

40C044E9-134B-4E6A-BAB6-EB8E9099C714.jpeg

I don't see why they would, maybe another 10 kilos a corner.... but you will probably have to factor in a wheel spacer and extended wheel bolts.
I had to for my oversized Wildpeaks.

Back