Sorry another question, looking at getting the Devonports re-coated, have a quote of £396 - anyone else had re-spray/re-coat recently - just wondered what the going rate was?
Mine were £250 for 5 powder coated in satin black including disposal of old tyres and fitting of new tyres. Near Lincoln.

General Grabber AT3 : 235/65/17 108H on Fuel Covert Bronze wheels.

They seem to add a little extra comfort (even on the awful M25 concrete sections) also they are certainly as quiet as the standard Contivan tyres and I think marginally quieter.

DAFACC60-2E53-49AC-B52E-8407B322DA0D.jpeg

Sorry another question, looking at getting the Devonports re-coated, have a quote of £396 - anyone else had re-spray/re-coat recently - just wondered what the going rate was?
Speak to Carl at CD Coatings in Broughton Moor, he’s done various sets of wheels for me over the years. Very good standard of work and most likely cheaper.

Reactions: RDT
More pics... just because :think smile bounce:

View attachment 156627
I have exactly the same wheel, colour and tyre size in an A/T on mine, difference to standard that i wondered if you have found.
1. Raises the ride height of the van by 1 inch, which IMHO is a good thing in a few different ways.
2.Required a 4 wheel tracking, as the difference before and after just in feel was very apparent.
3. Slight scrub on front wheels on the limit in turning both ways (minor)
4. Changed my actual speed from reading under to only 1mph over at 30mph
5. Spare wont fit under van so essential can of Holts tyre weld under the seat for when i don't have room for the spare in the back.
6. Very easy to see when tyre is under inflated as the tall sidewall is far more noticeable when bulging due to its height.
7. Gloss was too bling an option and matt was too dull, but satin was just perfect.
8. IMHO this tyre /wheel/colour combo looks really nice whilst retaining an understated element.

abc.JPG

Last edited:
I have exactly the same wheel, colour and tyre size in an A/T on mine, difference to standard that i wondered if you have found.
1. Raises the ride height of the van by 1 inch, which IMHO is a good thing in a few different ways.
2.Required a 4 wheel tracking, as the difference before and after just in feel was very apparent.
4. Changed my actual speed from reading under to only 1mph over at 30mph
5. Spare wont fit under van so essential can of Holts tyre weld under the seat for when i don't have room for the spare in the back.
6. Very easy to see when tyre is under inflated as the tall sidewall is far more noticeable when bulging due to its height.
7. Gloss was too bling an option and matt was too dull, but satin was just perfect.
8. IMHO this tyre /wheel/colour combo looks really nice whilst retaining an understated element.
Hi Rich
I think you need to post a pic too :)
2. no diff in feel - but will defo be getting tracked
3. not felt any front wheel scrub on turning as yet - but thank you, duly noted will look out for
4. haven't done gps speedo yet - the www.willtheyfit.com said it would be -6.44% so 2mph under at 30mph (will do and let you know)
5. yep spare wouldn't fit - think I'm going adjust the spare wheel carrier so it will fit (see posts on here)
7. agree (imho) - think the satin finish is just perfect
8. absolutely agree (imho) really nice understated look - chuffed with the outcome

Screenshot (31).png

That’s interesting! Where’s it rubbing?

I see quite a few people say they get no rubbing when running 235/65/17s on vans lowered ~40mm, usually with 17x8.5j wheels with 34 offset like the Fuels or the Navis (I’ve been paying close attention because I’m planning to go for a similar setup).

What’s the width and offset of the Devonports?

That’s interesting! Where’s it rubbing?

I see quite a few people say they get no rubbing when running 235/65/17s on vans lowered ~40mm, usually with 17x8.5j wheels with 34 offset like the Fuels or the Navis (I’ve been paying close attention because I’m planning to go for a similar setup).

What’s the width and offset of the Devonports?
I have only had them on a month and had no spare time to investigate where the rub is on the limit, I will put it to the top of my to do list :) Not sure about the numbers on the Devonports, sorry.
Not a mechanic or good on tools but maybe i should have added a small spacer ? I will post when i find an answer.

Last edited:
According to VW Transporter T6 – Devonport 7E0601025P | OEM Alloy Wheels, the Devonports are 17x7j, ET 55.

This is how the Devonports (orange) look compared to the setup I mentioned above which people have said don't rub (green):

1652711674296.png
With Devonports (orange), the tyre appears to sit closer to the van on the inside due to the narrowness of the rim. So @RichP, depending on where they are rubbing, you might be able to eliminate your rubbing by adding a wheel spacer?

Hypothetical question…

These two setups have the same rolling radius:

16" wheel with 235/70 tyres
17" wheel with 235/65 tyres

Would there be any noticeable downsides to running the 16" vs the 17" in terms of everyday driving and handling?

Hypothetical question…

These two setups have the same rolling radius:

16" wheel with 235/70 tyres
17" wheel with 235/65 tyres

Would there be any noticeable downsides to running the 16" vs the 17" in terms of everyday driving and handling?
Personally, I doubt it as both have a good amount of sidewall. I couldn't tell the difference when I swapped my 16in claytons to 17in devonports.

Personally, I doubt it as both have a good amount of sidewall. I couldn't tell the difference when I swapped my 16in claytons to 17in devonports.
That's good to know. I guess there's actually only a difference of about 6mm in sidewall height between the two in my example.

I've seen a few vans on 16-inch wheels lately that look great.

For example, @highlandt5 on Instagram is running 16x8j GOJOS with 245/70 R16 BFGoodrich KO2 which looks fantastic IMO!

280647873_520674853032998_1237974707020281571_n.jpg
Source

275361144_985128139106961_4688438359432488332_n.jpg
Source

Back