I really like the look of these tyres and I drive off road every week on farms, but I can't think of anything else we intentionally do to our vans that make their braking distances (especially on wet tarmac) and handling worse while increasing the fuel consumption.
I spend 90% or more of my time on tarmac so for the sake of safety, All Season tyres with the mud and snow marking are more appropriate for me and they are very capable off road whilst having good performance on tarmac.
More importantly for me, if they don't get me out of a muddy field, nobody gets hurt.
I know that there are members of this forum who absolutely need A.T. tyres, but I wouldn't fit them for aesthetic reasons alone.

It’s a great point @DaveD.

I wonder which tyre would be the best balance of this aesthetics vs performance and safety?

I’d previously looked at the labels for a few of the most popular AT tyres and the best I could find was the Cooper Discoverer ATT which has a roll resistance rating of C, and a wet grip rating of C (in a 225/65 R17).

Compare that to the above 245/70 R16 BFG KO2, which have a roll resistance rating of F and a wet grip rating of B (which surprises me).

For some context, the ContiVanContact 100 (205/65 R16) tyres that came on my van have a roll resistance rating of C, and a wet grip rating of B.

Last edited:
I used Falken Wildtracks 235/65/17 and the reason was 1st and formost more protection against the horrible state of our roads.
They also look really good, but my main reason trumps fuel economy, noise, and grip.
Just my take.

I used Falken Wildtracks 235/65/17 and the reason was 1st and formost more protection against the horrible state of our roads.
They also look really good, but my main reason trumps fuel economy, noise, and grip.
Just my take.
I’d like something of that size for the same reason of poor roads (plus I think 235/65 on 17x8ish fills the arches really nicely).

I agree the Falken Wildpeak look really good. I’ve been weighing up my options and considering them in the shortlist.

However, I’m curious as to whether or not a different (non-AT) tyre of the same size would be an equally adequate solution for poor roads, whilst also having better grip and fuel economy. e.g. Nokian Weatherproof SUV (235/65 R17) which is an All-Season tyre with a roll resistance rating of C and a wet grip rating of A, compared to the Falken Wildpeak’s rating of D and C.

It’s a great point @DaveD.

I wonder which tyre would be the best balance of this aesthetics vs performance and safety?

I’d previously looked at the labels for a few of the most popular AT tyres and the best I could find was the Cooper Discoverer ATT which has a roll resistance rating of C, and a wet grip rating of C (in a 225/65 R17).

Compare that to the above 245/70 R16 BFG KO2, which have a roll resistance rating of F and a wet grip rating of B (which surprises me).

For some context, the ContiVanContact 100 (205/65 R16) tyres that came on my van have a roll resistance rating of C, and a wet grip rating of B.
Not sure about braking distance but I get 37/38 mpg with bfg tyres

The rolling resistance grade is something like 5 miles over 500 to change grades iirc

Last edited:
I'd be interested in peeps response to this as taking delivery of my first transporter in July and it will have BFGs that'll be about 7% bigger than stock tyres. Not particularly interested in modding the underside carrier to accommodate a larger wheel. Leaning towards either a tailgate carrier and having it on show, or a space saver underneath of correct diameter.
Interested in what others have done.

@MarkHob. FWIW I've not got your big tyres but I do have 17" Devonports with the original 'normal' tyres and a 16" spare under the car for emergency and temporary use if the puncture can't be repaired on the spot - it's legal to do it like that and I would always aim get a pro repair or replacement of the 17" tyre ASAP (and keep the speed down whilst the spare is on). Mine's 2WD but I'm not sure if using a smaller circumference wheel on one corner only would play well with a 4WD system like the 4Motion - other more qualified people might chip in on that (which is most of those on this forum!). IMHO, a rear mounted wheel carrier on a van might look a bit naff.

a space saver underneath of correct diameter

This is what I was hoping to do.

On a stock 16" steel, a 205/80 R16 (or equivalent) would get the same rolling radius as a 235/65 R17.

I've read that some have managed to fit oversized tyres into the underside carrier when deflated, but I don't know if the 205/80 R16 would be too large for this…

IMHO, a rear mounted wheel carrier on a van might look a bit naff.

I think it can look good. There are lots of options available too:

HESS-BERTIES-2-e1624774079136.jpg

DSC09715_2048x.jpg
Oversized Spare Holder

VWt5-wheel-carrier-5.jpg

Deleted my last post as it occurred to me that I might offend someone and I didn't want to do that. Sorry for any confusion.

Ah, I didn't think your post came across that way @Ayjay.

Also I think what were you were saying about the possibility of carrying a smaller spare was a useful part of this conversation too!

My problem with the rear mounted wheel carrier is having to shell out for a fifth wheel and tyre. :oops:

VW engineer said to me that having a smaller size spare wheel put in a 4motion vehicle will trigger the 4motion clutch to engage at full time when driving, which will result in accelerated wear of the 4 motion coupling clutch, maybe even toasting it. I decided to ditch the spare wheel and carrier, bringing a puncture kit and a pump, anything bigger ill just take the wheel off and lift a ride to a local wheel shop or get a towtruck to pick me up. I've ridden 700k kms and had 1 puncture i couldnt fix myself on the spot, when a sharp rock slashed the inner wall.

I have a very slightly smaller spare, if I can’t repair my puncture with my string kit and need the spare, I can either drive below 50 or if a really long journey, I’ll just pull the haldex controller fuse.

I have a very slightly smaller spare, if I can’t repair my puncture with my string kit and need the spare, I can either drive below 50 or if a really long journey, I’ll just pull the haldex controller fuse.
What size is your spare and where do you keep it?

These repair kits sound good. I need to look into them.

Have not thought about the fuse option. Sounds great!

Back