Hello all, new to the forum and needing some sound advice please...

My new to me T6.1 conversion came with 20" wheels and 255/35/20 tyres. It has also been lowered about 40mm. I managed to get a set of 16" transporter steelies and was hoping to put some nice all terrain type tyres on them for the winter etc.

As things stand, the gap between the tyres and arches looks fine so was thinking about 215/65/16 tyres which would be pretty much the same size as the 20s. I know I need a load rating over 102 and like the look of the General Grabber and BFG but I also saw the Avon AX 7 and Cooper Discoverer AT which I believe are similar (and cheaper).

Would the Avons be fine in terms of a strong enough sidewall?? All advice much appreciated
215/65/16 is a factory size so certainly they'd be correct, in terms of sidewall strength, if they're load rated for your van the sidewalls will be strong enough.

Oh, and welcome!

I'm a happy man, got the BFG's just in time for summer camp. Be rude not to drop a photo:mexican wave: 225/75/16 satin black clayton's View attachment 166064
Sorry to bring up this old thread but just got mine back from a poptop and windows now for wheels and tyres
Are you still running these ? If so any comments pls good or bad plus do you use these all year or only winter thanks

Sorry to bring up this old thread but just got mine back from a poptop and windows now for wheels and tyres
Are you still running these ? If so any comments pls good or bad plus do you use these all year or only winter thanks
Hi, don't apologise, that's how we all learn. Yeah still running them, haven't put them into real muddy situations, just grass fields, I'm sure if i sat down in deep soft ground I might struggle but I've only got front wheel drive. We use them all year round, don't notice the noise from them either, but then my daily drive is a Hilux with copper st maxx's on, so use to a little hum. Thinking about putting them on my T6 work van for my winter set up once the tyres wear out. You will lose MPG and you can't go as fast into corners as you might of before. But i don't worry if it's been raining all night and I've got to pull off a wet field in the morning. So in all I'm happy with them, Oh and I like the look of them on the van. :cool:

Has anyone got somebody got a muddy field where we could try all these tyres out? It’ll be a good laugh watching those that fail :think smile bounce:

Hi @richwill

They are 225/75/16
Thank you for sharing your pictures and Tyre sizes. I’ve bitten after at least a year of pondering what to do with my t32 lwb on Claytons…
Black powder coating booked in and cooper discovery at3 sport 2s being fitted the same size as your bfgs. Will post a before and after shot once the work is done!

Hi friends,
I also am looking to pimp up the tyres - I have standard Claytons 16 inch on my T6.1 however I really haven't a clue and each time i start to research i come away even more confused!
I am keeping the wheels but having them powder coated black. I quite like the swamper look. I did speak with Elite wheels just for some advice and they have said I need the following:
215/65/16 tyres. They mentioned BFG @£195 each and Yokohama @£150 each.
I read a little about noise for the BFG's and I dont really want to compromise on the drive.
I am also read a little about spacers but not really sure whether there is a benefit for me?
I am hoping that someone could give me some decent and accurate advice as to a decent look on the wheels. The van is pure grey with black pop top roof.
Thanks
Benji

Hi friends,
I also am looking to pimp up the tyres - I have standard Claytons 16 inch on my T6.1 however I really haven't a clue and each time i start to research i come away even more confused!
I am keeping the wheels but having them powder coated black. I quite like the swamper look. I did speak with Elite wheels just for some advice and they have said I need the following:
215/65/16 tyres. They mentioned BFG @£195 each and Yokohama @£150 each.
I read a little about noise for the BFG's and I dont really want to compromise on the drive.
I am also read a little about spacers but not really sure whether there is a benefit for me?
I am hoping that someone could give me some decent and accurate advice as to a decent look on the wheels. The van is pure grey with black pop top roof.
Thanks
Benji
I went round and round this loop for about a year.

Just done the first 500 miles (including UK motorway and French roll up to 130kph) on my new Cooper Discover AT3 Sport 2 tyres, fitted by the alloy refurb/powder coating company straight after they’d powder coated black (see picture above).

No spacers, standard Clayton 16inch wheels on my T32 long wheel base.

Noticed the speed was slightly under reading (~5%) so coded the ‘k value’ with OBDeleven from 5 to 4 to make sure the Speedo read in line with GPS speed

Tyres were cheapest on 4x4tyres.co.uk

Wished I’d done it sooner, ride is improved, no change to loudness, and the Cooper’s are less aggressive than the BF Goodwich All Terrains. It also looks so much better.

Maybe a slight impact to mpg but hard to say as we were fully loaded with bikes etc.

“225/75R16 Cooper Discoverer AT3 Sport 2 All Terrain White Letter 104T Tyre” was the exact tyre.

I have a 2 wheel drive T28 on standard 16x6.5J Claytons.
Like the look of an all terrain tyre (and miss the road hum of my old Defender).
Instead of going all out for an AT tyre I eventually decided on 215/65 T16 Michelin Agilis Cross Climates.
More Soft Roader than Off Roader !
They can't be too bad. All the local ambulances are on them.
They are a little larger than the standard fit, 205/65R16C, but are listed as an alternative standard size on the door pillar sticker.
Look good and work well in snow and on soggy campsites.
Would recommend.

Reactions: CAB
Back