What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

Hey, RyanGerry, is that a proper fitted carpet in your cockpit?, was that standard or did you fit it?, Want one :D

Very nice great job .
where did you get the ply bits from. Are they easy to fit and do you carpet after they are fitted

where did you get the 2 pelmet bits from and are they easy to fit

Hi @lucas3232, thanks, can’t believe it put it off for so long.

I got 3 sheets of 3.6 ply (8*4) from Travis, wasn’t fussed about a 1 piece roof, I used two to cut roof panels and one for the 2 pelmets. I had the carpet and lin8ng left

Before removing the roof panels I marked where the cover strips were for future reference. Once the panels were removed I used them as templates, marking all the holes and transferring the cover strip lines from earlier. Doing it again I’d take maybe a couple of mm off all round to allow for covering.

To make the pelmets, make one side then use this to make the other. On the 3rd sheet of ply along one long edge I struck a line 10mm in from one the edge to make them bigger than the roof panels (might not need to do this but seemed like a good idea at the time). Then mark a second line 135mm in from that one, this will be the internal edge.

Starting with the rear, I lined the roof panel up with the 10mm line and rear edge of the sheet, clamped and marked the round corner and holes, and transferred the mark from the joint strip, added XXmm for the strip then repeated for the forward panel. I took a flyer marking the internal curves at the rear, spent a long time looking at Pinterest and @Absolut5 (love his work!) to gauge this.

I used strips of 12mm MRMDF, 15mm in from the front edge as a packer for the LEDs to go, but don’t think I put it far enough back as I can see the LEDs, it maybe go 25-30mm next time.

4E83767E-51B5-44C3-ACD4-F65AB78002E4.jpeg

Once everything is cut, test fit, remove, cover, then final install, roof panels and joint strips, then pelmets with the long hidden clips and bingo!

Quick edit: I used some Velcro in a couple of spots between the 12mm packer and head. liner. I prefer the 3m single sided interlocking stuff but the Velcro took straight to the headliner.

There’s a company selling one piece roof and halo kits on eBay and facebook, they have some nice shots of the clips etc for reference

Last edited:
Hi @lucas3232, thanks, can’t believe it put it off for so long.

I got 3 sheets of 3.6 ply (8*4) from Travis, wasn’t fussed about a 1 piece roof, I used two to cut roof panels and one for the 2 pelmets. I had the carpet and lin8ng left

Before removing the roof panels I marked where the cover strips were for future reference. Once the panels were removed I used them as templates, marking all the holes and transferring the cover strip lines from earlier. Doing it again I’d take maybe a couple of mm off all round to allow for covering.

To make the pelmets, make one side then use this to make the other. On the 3rd sheet of ply along one long edge I struck a line 10mm in from one the edge to make them bigger than the roof panels (might not need to do this but seemed like a good idea at the time). Then mark a second line 135mm in from that one, this will be the internal edge.

Starting with the rear, I lined the roof panel up with the 10mm line and rear edge of the sheet, clamped and marked the round corner and holes, and transferred the mark from the joint strip, added XXmm for the strip then repeated for the forward panel. I took a flyer marking the internal curves at the rear, spent a long time looking at Pinterest and @Absolut5 (love his work!) to gauge this.

I used strips of 12mm MRMDF, 15mm in from the front edge as a packer for the LEDs to go, but don’t think I put it far enough back as I can see the LEDs, it maybe go 25-30mm next time.

View attachment 65086

Once everything is cut, test fit, remove, cover, then final install, roof panels and joint strips, then pelmets with the long hidden clips and bingo!

Quick edit: I used some Velcro in a couple of spots between the 12mm packer and head. liner. I prefer the 3m single sided interlocking stuff but the Velcro took straight to the headliner.

There’s a company selling one piece roof and halo kits on eBay and facebook, they have some nice shots of the clips etc for reference
Thank you so much for that great help.

Changed from this,

View attachment 65055

To this...

View attachment 65056

Very pleased with the new ‘velle look, I even managed to save the cigarette lighter and not mess up the floor cutting, the guides on the forum proved invaluable :)

Looks great. Quick question, Do you know of the seat foams are different on caravelle seats or is it just the Leather/Alcantara covers?
Thanks

0778D0D2-C472-4BAF-86A9-F5FC318E3CE5.jpeg 15E7A354-88BA-4A65-B5FE-44BA05DDECA1.jpeg 38D109E5-117D-4AC8-AC9B-A35551F5C440.jpeg 38D109E5-117D-4AC8-AC9B-A35551F5C440.jpeg 0ACB4037-E3B2-43B6-937F-022019341607.jpeg
Finally made a start on a single Kombi bed I’ve been thinking about for ages .
I normally just have the mattress on the floor when taking the MTB away for a trip . But being elevated gives me the storage underneath
Completely freestanding as I didn’t want to fix to anything and it needed to be easily removed .
Still need add piano hinge to the lid .
The ply legs will be hinged also so it stores virtually flat In The garage . Fancy carpeting it ? Or paint grey .View attachment 63644
Got the day to finish off my Kombi bed , decided to carpet line it . Glad I did , very pleased with the result . Just meet to add a gas strut to hold the lid open when required.

0ACB4037-E3B2-43B6-937F-022019341607.jpeg

Back