New orange van… what have I done

If it helps anyone else this is what I’ve been left with…

I’ve not touched the main loom going to the back. Not sure if these are for the trailer electrics or just the brake lights etc so didn’t mess around with those. Also left the battery connector that used to feed the Anderson connectors in the back, just disconnected it from the terminal under the bonnet so wasn’t live. My thought is I could use that later for the leisure battery.

3F87765F-5B0B-4934-A23A-B7E4EDF48BAF.jpeg

58392604-B8B7-449D-A22D-4E49484CB74B.jpeg

65D34B77-A23A-42C3-B88F-0A0933322B2A.jpeg

Looks fab! If I had the time I'd love an ex RAC van to convert. Orange is my favourite colour, my first kitchen was orange and white opposite walls, and had a wonderful glow to it!

If it helps anyone else this is what I’ve been left with…

I’ve not touched the main loom going to the back. Not sure if these are for the trailer electrics or just the brake lights etc so didn’t mess around with those. Also left the battery connector that used to feed the Anderson connectors in the back, just disconnected it from the terminal under the bonnet so wasn’t live. My thought is I could use that later for the leisure battery.

View attachment 193854

View attachment 193855

View attachment 193856
Did yours not come with this fuse box and white connecters..when I unplug the white blocks it disconnects rear loom along the roof.did you disconnect the panic buttons too

IMG20230328191657.jpg

IMG20230328191704.jpg

Mine looked like that until today, disconnected it all apart from the stuff that I worked out was factory and it all still works

Did yours not come with this fuse box and white connecters..when I unplug the white blocks it disconnects rear loom along the roof.did you disconnect the panic buttons too

View attachment 193895

View attachment 193896
Yeah I had that in at the start, think it had a lot of the gps kit in from RAC which was redundant so pulled it all out. There’s a feed from the pink connector as well, I think going to the rear view camera which I also took out. Was hoping to keep it as it was working when I got the van but got too complicated so took that out as well which was annoying.

I think all I’m left with under the passenger seat is the battery and it’s charging system and the tow hitch electrics - I think! The charging cable for the second battery looks like it comes from the fuse panel under the dash so left that in for now. Probably going to change it for a split charge system eventually though and move the battery to under the drivers seat if I can. But that’s for another day. The charging system still works but took the fuse out for now as it’s not being used and didn’t want any chance of shorts.

I also cut out the bulkhead support bracket along the back of the seat so can panel and carpet right up to the seats later on and potentially get a swivel seat in as well.

Yeah I had that in at the start, think it had a lot of the gps kit in from RAC which was redundant so pulled it all out. There’s a feed from the pink connector as well, I think going to the rear view camera which I also took out. Was hoping to keep it as it was working when I got the van but got too complicated so took that out as well which was annoying.

I think all I’m left with under the passenger seat is the battery and it’s charging system and the tow hitch electrics - I think! The charging cable for the second battery looks like it comes from the fuse panel under the dash so left that in for now. Probably going to change it for a split charge system eventually though and move the battery to under the drivers seat if I can. But that’s for another day. The charging system still works but took the fuse out for now as it’s not being used and didn’t want any chance of shorts.

I also cut out the bulkhead support bracket along the back of the seat so can panel and carpet right up to the seats later on and potentially get a swivel seat in as well.
My main goal is to remove the loom along the ceiling. It's a work van so not overly bothered how it looks under the seat.
Did you have to remove the grey connectors in the roof for the outside roof lights

My main goal is to remove the loom along the ceiling. It's a work van so not overly bothered how it looks under the seat.
Did you have to remove the grey connectors in the roof for the outside roof lights
Think they had already been cut out on mine. The loom along the roof doesn’t have any connectors on it. Pretty sure it’s going to the tow hitch.

Yes it's limited to 70.
123k miles.
Yes dsg.
Drives better now suspension been changed

Yeah mine is dsg as well. Definitely grown to love the orange! Gets a lot of positive comments.

One thing I have learnt though is although they have good history from RAC they’ve definitely had a hard life too - budget for new suspension bits and pieces and driveshafts etc within the first year as you use it. They’re pretty easy to work on though and it wouldn’t have changed my mind.

Have had ad blue issues which I’ve found out is a common issue on a lot of euro 6 diesels are an annoyance - mine keeps on flashing an error code but then goes away and the Adblue range is erratic on the dash. Currently ignoring it as there doesn’t seem to be a difinitive fix by the looks of it. Hey ho.

Back