New orange van… what have I done

Longers

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi, thought I’d introduce myself.

I picked up a bright orange ex RAC T6 yesterday. Really pleased with it but also bit nervous about what I’ve let myself in for

It’s a 66 plate auto with 124k on it. Really clean and drives perfect. Plan is to slowly convert it into a kombi and use it as a day van. I wanted something to be able to stick some bikes in the back with my two boys and head off for some adventures.

Got a few little niggles to do first - like figuring out all the extra wiring that the RAC had, although like the lcd rear view camera which still works so have to figure out how to keep that working. Never had a van before so getting used to it. Trying to remove racking but it looks to support some of the wiring so think that’s my first job. If anyone has converted a rac van before and has any tips that would be great. Also need to fill in the holes properly on the roof as the blobs of silicone in them don’t look like they’ll last very long!

Will try and post a picture if I can…

Oh, am based in Bristol so any decent supplier recommendations around here would be great as well. Cheers Harvey

DBB593B0-5054-4BC6-829F-A3252A453C96.jpeg

You are not alone! You won't lose it in a carpark :think smile bounce:

Plenty of ex-RAC vans on here:

Ex-AA vans will also have similar issues:

Welcome to the forum!

Pop top, that should sort out any holes in the roof :slow rofl:
Sounds like a fun project, lots of info on the forum and well worth VIP membership cost to access wiring diagrams and other useful info that might help with the work.

Hi, thought I’d introduce myself.

I picked up a bright orange ex RAC T6 yesterday. Really pleased with it but also bit nervous about what I’ve let myself in for

It’s a 66 plate auto with 124k on it. Really clean and drives perfect. Plan is to slowly convert it into a kombi and use it as a day van. I wanted something to be able to stick some bikes in the back with my two boys and head off for some adventures.

Got a few little niggles to do first - like figuring out all the extra wiring that the RAC had, although like the lcd rear view camera which still works so have to figure out how to keep that working. Never had a van before so getting used to it. Trying to remove racking but it looks to support some of the wiring so think that’s my first job. If anyone has converted a rac van before and has any tips that would be great. Also need to fill in the holes properly on the roof as the blobs of silicone in them don’t look like they’ll last very long!

Will try and post a picture if I can…

Oh, am based in Bristol so any decent supplier recommendations around here would be great as well. Cheers Harvey

View attachment 192174
I love your van its funky and smart and trendy 70's esque...... I have a friend with a two tone orange like yours ( with white top ) and I love the orange !

You might want to have a look at this thread !

Thanks everyone… can’t wait to get stuck in to the van.

Like the thought of a pop top sorting the holes in the roof. I guess they cut out most of the roof for that.

Also thanks massively for the wiring diagram - that will be hugely helpful! Didn’t want to start ripping random stuff out and break something. I am an engineer but like mechanical stuff, less keen on electrical!

First list of jobs:

Replace door seal - they’ve split
Put in new centre dash panel where they’ve removed one of the vents
Figure out what’s happening with the sliding door, works fine but a bit stiff compared to others I looked at.
Pull out racking and take bulkhead out.

I'm on the verge of putting a deposit on one today if I can get my head around the orange

Thanks everyone… can’t wait to get stuck in to the van.

Like the thought of a pop top sorting the holes in the roof. I guess they cut out most of the roof for that.

Also thanks massively for the wiring diagram - that will be hugely helpful! Didn’t want to start ripping random stuff out and break something. I am an engineer but like mechanical stuff, less keen on electrical!

First list of jobs:

Replace door seal - they’ve split
Put in new centre dash panel where they’ve removed one of the vents
Figure out what’s happening with the sliding door, works fine but a bit stiff compared to others I looked at.
Pull out racking and take bulkhead out.
What racking do you have?

Welcome @Longers and happy converting, this forum has been super helpful for me over the last 9 months. I got my ex RAC last summer, I have (and continue to, as it never ends!!) done a lot of the work myself, but the bulk of the tricky work was done by a custom converter in South Wales. They are cracking vans and decent value, just need a fair amount of TLC, but I think it’s worth it for the spec. I wasn’t sold on the orange originally, but in person it’s great and I love it!

You’ve already highlighted some of the key things that need to be addressed first. We didn’t want a pop top, just a solar panel and roof bars, so we welded some little plates over the holes in the roof and put extra seal around the edges with Sikaflex - not the prettiest but does the job! You’ll find the floor might need some repair work too, just to ensure its water tight as mine was pretty trashed once we took all the gear out.

The electrics were a minefield, when Novuna decommissioned it they just cut wires all over the place (my reverse camera cable was cut in several places, sounds like you were lucky!), we had loads of loose live wires! Whilst it was a much bigger job, for simplicity we stripped most of the old wiring out and started again. I needed a new battery and alternator anyway so we overhauled the lot at once. You’ll find a good few people on here that have managed to repurpose it all successfully though.

I did have a driveshaft issue with mine (they were both shot and I got a lot of vibration under acceleration), but was lucky enough to get most of the costs covered under the used warranty.

Last edited:
Had a cracking afternoon working on the van. Got the racking and the bulkhead out. That racking is proper solid. Took ages to get it out! Always trying to find that last bolt holding the bits in!

Was checking the wiring as well. Think I’ve been really lucky as everything works! Looks like they just took out the dvr and the only cut wires were where they went through the roof to the flashers and to the tailgate. Am quite pleased. Although it’s a bit like a rats nest and need to figure out what to keep and what to get rid of!

Getting used to the orange. My kids absolutely love it! Do like it, good to have a bit of colour. Does mean I stick out though… easy to find in a car park

0F11B143-1E80-4DFD-8A2F-B77BA777DAE3.jpeg

BE91C579-4E2F-4316-88E5-E588CE6A937F.jpeg

You got further in one afternoon than I have! I purchased my orange van yesterday, spent the morning trying to take out the racking! Think it will take me another day!

You got further in one afternoon than I have! I purchased my orange van yesterday, spent the morning trying to take out the racking! Think it will take me another day!
Haha, it’s well put together isn’t it! I started trying to figure it all out but in the end just undid pretty much every screw I could see. A long spline bit on a drill sped things up nicely! Took out the bulkhead supports yesterday, the top is nicely bolted in, but have to grind out the welds on the bottom one which is a pain. Nearly back to a plain panel van and planning all the stuff I’m going to put back in. Windows first I think.

Yea that didn't help with me, I don't own an impact driver so had to make do, think I am going to purchase some socket torx bits over the weekend to carry on with it!

Looks good, I hope mine looks like that at some point! Trying to deal with the wiring nest under the passenger seat at the minute!

Back