What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

I watched a bloke from our village drag his bike across the front of my cali, trying to get through the gap left by a delivery van temporarily parked in front, and he gouged the lower part on the bumper.
View attachment 65042

Fortunately it had PPF covering there so I removed the ppf
View attachment 65043

I also had the Cali scrapped last year in France so I also removed that corner as well.
View attachment 65044 View attachment 65045 View attachment 65046

Wow, that's testament to PPF. I bet by the time you'd of had the inconvenience of the van off the road, the cost of painting the bumper, the PPF instal works out much better value, specially as you now have a brand new finish on something that would of ordinarily been covered in stone chips anyway.

Are you bothering to get it re-wrapped?

Wow! Genuinely, wow. I have often wondered about the merits of PPF, but this has just shown me how good it can be. That is impressive.

I started operation sound proof and insulate. Bit painful as it’s a newly converted van. Managed to get the back doors, passenger side panel and door done. The original converter has stuffed some nasty wooly loft style insulation in as a token effort. Going to do wheel arches from outside next then it’s whether or not I take all the furniture out to get to the drivers side or just leave it- I guess time isn’t an issue right now but worried what else I’ll find!

Yes I will as soon as normality resumes.

I might give my guy a ring and see if he wants to come and collect it and leave his here in the meantime if he's short on work.

Mine is on it's 3rd re-spray on the front bumper and bonnet, and to a normal member of the public, that amount of work would of easily cost in excess of £1500 and that's at 3years old and 75k, plus all the down time of the vehicle. Basing on that figure and the fact mine is covered in stone chips again, some of the prices i've seen quoted for PPF in the first place are a bargain. I will certainly be doing my next Transporter.

I've thought it a few times looking at pictures of your van, so I have to ask: Have you wet sanded the panels? The reflections look too crisp and clean for a usual orange peel finish.

Sadly the only time I've seen it in the flesh was after driving along the wet dirt tracks in this part of the world so it was impossible to tell!

I left mine looking on forlornly whilst I spent some time with it's little cousin IMG_20200405_104706.jpg

Last edited:
I've thought it a few times looking at pictures of your van, so I have to ask: Have you wet sanded the panels? The reflections look too crisp and clean for a usual orange peel finish.

Sadly the only time I've seen it in the flesh was after driving along the wet dirt tracks in this part of the world so it was impossible to tell!

I flat and polished the van a year or so ago, but then had all that warranty work done on both sides by the main dealers, so haven't done it for a while.
Trust me, it's not as good as photos make it look.

My thoughts were to try to sell off the parts in the hope that someone with a scruffy interior who was going to do a camper conversion could change them without having to pay VW prices...

open to offers @ChrisR ;)

Not today but over the last few days I fitted the puddle lights from saxoboy, was pleased with the result, I wired them to the door light circuit so they didn’t stay dimly lit all the time, also fitted the drivers side rubber seal which seems to work well door shuts nice now, fitted the footwell lights as well as some blue led from eBay in the door pockets, fitted the leisure battery and CTEK b-b under the drivers seat and left some tails for the conversion
Still lots to do

2CEB2876-B56C-4BC0-9FEC-42067867F014.jpeg

My thoughts were to try to sell off the parts in the hope that someone with a scruffy interior who was going to do a camper conversion could change them without having to pay VW prices...

open to offers @ChrisR ;)
I’ll PM you mate, my glovebox and lighter surround/fuse box cover are quite badly scratched. If yours are good I think we can do a deal!

Panels are in perfect condition, I can’t see any marks or scratches on them, drop me a PM

Almost a year after lining my van I’ve finally got round to doing the roof lining and lights! Dang it’s bright inside! I’ll share the finished cubby tomorrow when the final switch arrives.
View attachment 64949 View attachment 64950
Hi @Jamie2.0 looks good,
What size holes in your roof panels did you drill for the clips, and what clips did you use?
I've finally got round to trying to fit the roof panels I made a while ago, and can't get the Megavanmats roof clips to fit in the panels (it's like the clips would only fit a 1-2mm thick panel), even though the standard panel clips do. I'm also not convinced the 'fir tree' part of the clips is strong enough to hold the panels up. I'm using 3.6mm ply.

Hi @Jamie2.0 looks good,
What size holes in your roof panels did you drill for the clips, and what clips did you use?
I've finally got round to trying to fit the roof panels I made a while ago, and can't get the Megavanmats roof clips to fit in the panels (it's like the clips would only fit a 1-2mm thick panel), even though the standard panel clips do. I'm also not convinced the 'fir tree' part of the clips is strong enough to hold the panels up. I'm using 3.6mm ply.

thanks @dav1d, I used 3.6ply too. Make sure you under size the panels a little to allow for the covering.

The clips that are seen are just re-used standard VW ones, I used a stepped cutter to 12mm for the holes. The hidden clips I had from Harrison’s we’re the cream extra long ones. They fit 12mm just fine but looking at my test piece I think I went 14mm to give a little bit of ‘float’ for alignment, learnt this after buying panels last year.

I found wearing gloves helped whilst twisting them into the panels, I shredded my fingers putting them in when I did the carpet lining. I had a similar feeling about the clips not being strong enough but they are the same size width-wise as the white ones from MVM.

The bit I had real trouble with was the cover strip between the panels, the standard black clips just weren’t long enough, I drilled out the plugs and swapped the clips for some spare extra long panel clips same as I used elsewhere.

4AEF2B63-AB38-404F-B5D7-0153311B199E.jpeg

Last edited:
Almost a year after lining my van I’ve finally got round to doing the roof lining and lights! Dang it’s bright inside! I’ll share the finished cubby tomorrow when the final switch arrives.
Very nice great job .
where did you get the ply bits from. Are they easy to fit and do you carpet after they are fitted
where did you get the 2 pelmet bits from and are they easy to fit

Back