@Hiccupsdad what are the H720 modules you referred to earlier?

The thread as it has evolved is giving the THQ light fittings as being an improvement over the H4 stock headlight and a slight improvement over the stock H7 type twin lamp headlight, however for a marked improvement in light output the halogen lamps want to be swapped for LED alternatives.

With these LED alternative lamps the power rating is the same as conventional lamps with a 20 watt lamp giving less output than a 30 watt lamp. Also be aware that the LED lamp can be rotated inside it's supporting collar to compensate for the actual light producing part of the lamp not always being in exactly the same place as the tungsten filament of the original OEM lamp... this can also apply to how far into the headlight housing the LED lamp is pushed, which again has a bearing on the light beam pattern.

The thread as it has evolved is giving the THQ light fittings as being an improvement over the H4 stock headlight and a slight improvement over the stock H7 type twin lamp headlight, however for a marked improvement in light output the halogen lamps want to be swapped for LED alternatives.

With these LED alternative lamps the power rating is the same as conventional lamps with a 20 watt lamp giving less output than a 30 watt lamp. Also be aware that the LED lamp can be rotated inside it's supporting collar to compensate for the actual light producing part of the lamp not always being in exactly the same place as the tungsten filament of the original OEM lamp... this can also apply to how far into the headlight housing the LED lamp is pushed, which again has a bearing on the light beam pattern.

That is a point well made. And I am not sure if the correct position for the light producing part of the bulb. I have mine in an horizontal position. I inserted one wrong initially and it was in a 45 degree position. And this gave an adverse beam pattern.

I had thought about looking at alternative LED lamps and HID kits that may have a 360 degree light projection lamp. Rather than mine being 2 x horizontal facing light projection surfaces. And that’s why I thought about seeing if they will pass an MOT.

Photo here of my main beam LED. As rhe dipped beam is of course not visible behind the projector lens. But looks the same. just has a different fitting.

>>@Hiccupsdad what are the H720 modules you referred to earlier?<<

@Ethan Andrews said
These are the LED’s I chose below. The same company also do HID’s. And I am tempted to compare buying HID’s vs LED’s.

Best regards

H1 Twenty20 Compact LED Headlight lamp

H7 Twenty20 Compact LED Headlight lamp

Those were the ones I was asking about...

Regards
George

That’s correct I have these Twenty20 H1 and H7 LED bulbs.

One of my other posts shows the light outputs.

Hmmm, having just been out to test the Twenty20 bulbs in the dark, I'm not convinced they are as good as the Phillips bulbs. I'm certainly not getting the sort of light that Ethan posted a picture of.

I have the same ones as in his link. The ones that are up to 150% brighter. They do an up to 200% brighter version, but both are rated at 20W, however, the higher output ones have a ballast and cooling fan, like the Phillips ones do. I'm going to whack the halogens back in for ease and see if ABD will exchange them for me. I'm buggered if I'm going to pay out for yet another set.

I’m not convinced by LED bulbs yet. I fitted Philips Ultinon into my THQ V2 headlights today. They are definitely an improvement over the halogen H7’s, but not as good as I was hoping for. I don’t have any canbus errors which is good.

My previous car was a 2011 Audi A4 with factory xenon headlights and they were superior to what I now have in the T6.

I’m now thinking I might have to try an HID kit.

The bi-xenons on my Tig are leagues ahead of either of the LED bulbs I've tried to date.

The bi-xenons on my Tig are leagues ahead of either of the LED bulbs I've tried to date.

I’m not an expert, but I bought the Philips after doing a bit of research and thinking they were the best. If they are the best, then I think LED still has a long way to go to match xenon.

Xenon lighting or HID as it's also called is discharge lighting so not the same beast.

Try flashing your main beam on HIDs and you've turned the switch back off again before the lamp has actually struck, stick an Halogen lamp in for main beam then and you're back to lovely brightish yellow main beam.

We really need a 50 Watt LED lamp in the various H formats and for my bleary eyed H4 that would be 2 x 50 Watt chips per lamp.

I know how HID / Xenon works. I also appreciate the slow spark up time compared to LED. That's why we have bi/xenon. Dipped and main beam use the same light source that stays on. The beam is altered by moving a shutter behind the projector, to you do get instant main beam. The slow spark up isn't so much of an issue when turning on dipped beam. When the lights are turned off, xenons will still flash main beams with enough brightness for to get you seen, just not enough initially for you to see where you are going.

I would be interested to know what light source the OEM LED headlight use.

@dubber36 same here chap, I don't think the OEM LED headlights on current cars play fair though and conform to the old school 50/55 Watt of halogens as the mini I followed earlier tonight had it's DRL halo blazing away at the same time as the normal inner dip source, pretty sure a lot of Mercedes cars are like this with that signature eye brow above the projector always lighted, makes you wonder what part of these headlight assemblies counts as the dipped beam?

I also understand how HID work and if I were to fit them they would only be for the dipped beam due to the slower start up.

My full beam H1 halogens are adequate, they are a bit yellow, but throw enough light far enough up the road.

The Philips dipped beam aren’t bad, they’re better than the halogen, just not quite what I was hoping for.

@dubber36 I would also like to know what the OEM LEDs use, even better have a ride in a van with them to see how they compare.

Looking around the internet last night I came across the following link. It seems that there is much more to OEM LEDs than a bulb behind a projector lens. It's no wonder that we can't replicate OEM performance with a simple bulb swap, however powerful they claim to be. I think that aftermarket LED technology has a long way to go yet, so I'm going to have one last attempt at getting some descent light out of my THQ lights with a tried and tested HID kit.

REVIEW: Lextar LED PES headlamp module! - HiDplanet : The Official Automotive Lighting Forum

Only problem as I see it with that HID kit is that we know they will fail an MOT and as they are a replacement projector unit they are not going to be a 5 min replacement job for MOT testing like replacement bulbs are.

Dead interested how this turns out though so do please post up your experiences and how you achieved fitting of those new units.

Back