That's a great explanation @Mooncat thanks for that.
So, what would you consider as the best option for replacing the candle power of the H4's?
A good LED 'lamp' set, an original H7 unit or one of these LED units from THQ/travellinlite?
The projector dipped unit in the THQ lights allows you to fit HID or LED and get a proper cut off so if you're wanting more output than a standard filament bulb those are your best options (though not legal) From all the photos posted on this thread there was one from amv with 35W HIDs fitted which in my opinion gave by far the best coverage.

I'm running GE +130 bulbs in mine and they are absolutely fine but you really can't compare them to the retina burning proper LEDs that are factory fit.

Personally my THQ sequential units are miles better than OEM Halogen’s.

There is a vanity to having LED DRL’s in that cosmetically they just look better and other road users are more tuned into vehicles with LED DRL’s.

I always turn heads when I am indicating at a junction. With people saying ‘cool lights’!

But aside from showing off. The LED lights are so much brighter. The CANBUS warning light is annoying. But my THQ lights go into twin mode when I switch on main beam. And it is like having my own floodlight projector. The light is phenomenal of 4 x LED headlights on. I haven’t had to code the VCDS do make this happen. I am considering buying a Vagcom kit and I understand I will be able to turn off the CANBUS warning that way.

What I do need to do is turn one of the headlight lamps so the it is in the correct position. Rather than the wrong 45 degree it appears to be at present. As that gives a black hole image at the point where the light beams converge and you want to see.

My LED’s two pairs are about £50 pair. So not that expensive.

My work car is a Skoda Octavia VRS 2016. That car came with OEM LED adaptive headlights. I don’t know how they compare to VW T6 LED OEM’s. Because my Skoda lights move on corners therefore lighting the whole road up. They are incredible but we’re an expensive option that I didn’t have to pay for. I would love the VW OEM units, but they don’t do sequential. So it’s THQ all the way for me.

925D23E7-5870-4FEA-BA55-12C1D73835CD.jpeg

I have Transporter HQ headlights with sequential indicators.

Nobody else did one as nice with sequential indicators. I paid extra for the brighter bulbs, and I was bitterly disappointed with the dim lights output.

Everyone was flashing me, as they thought I was driving with just the DRL’s on as the light out out is so dim through that lens.

It came with instructions of how to code the ECU so
that main beam came on with the headlights.

However I ordered replacement LED bulbs for both the headlight and main beam bulbs from Autobulbs direct. Along with cornering front fog light bulbs. Used their own make that are supposed to be Canbus compatible. This was true for fog lights. But not for headlight and main beam.

I can only say go LED it’s literally pardon the pun......a night and day experience. Headlight and main beam’s were £50 / pair. And front fog lamps £40.

But for the investment both aesthetically and for functionality it’s been very worthwhile. Vs the standard poor bulbs.

Andy

Hi Andy, which LED bulbs did you get for you transporter in the end, could you tell me the manufacturer/model. Have you had any issues with alarms on the display or effects on the DAB radio?

Hi Andy, which LED bulbs did you get for you transporter in the end, could you tell me the manufacturer/model. Have you had any issues with alarms on the display or effects on the DAB radio?

Hi I have a 2018 LWB Highline with 102ps engine / manual gearbox.

I have had no issues with security alarm. I don’t really listen to DAB as signal is patchy down here in the South Coast in West Sussex. What DAB issues do you experience? And I will check for you.

I will take some photos of them turned on later when it’s dark to show the. ram pattern. Although I need to adjust the nearside as my earlier photo shows. Because the bulb is not in the correct position.

These are the LED’s I chose below. The same company also do HID’s. And I am tempted to compare buying HID’s vs LED’s.

Best regards

H1 Twenty20 Compact LED Headlight Bulb

H7 Twenty20 Compact LED Headlight Bulb

Hey Guys
I've just had Transporter HQ lights fitted to my transporter and the dipped beam is nothing like this above...:(

I purchased the better bulbs with the light units too....

H720 compact units will fit strait into my headlight units will they???

Thanks. :(

Hey Guys
I've just had Transporter HQ lights fitted to my transporter and the dipped beam is nothing like this above...:(

That’s because u need to fit something like Philips led , any normal bulb won’t cut it

Hey Guys

I also purchased their upgraded headlights too. But I would recommend NOT paying extra for the upgraded headlights. As I found them too dim, and then spend your money on LED lights which are a vast improvement.

After putting led bulbs in,do you get any warning lights on the dash?.

After putting led bulbs in,do you get any warning lights on the dash?.

YES - Got warning light on dash. But headlamps
work in twin mode when fitted with LEDs. Twin mode = Headlight and main beam light both switch on.

With halogen bulbs in single mode. You alternate between headlight on or main beam on. THQ works Main + dipped together.

THQ also provide the specific instructions for logging in with VCDS.

I went from H7s to THQ, so the twin light set up was already activated. The Phillips LED bulbs gave a bulb warning light, but I've turned that off with VCDS. I've just bought some Twenty20 bulbs to try as I am getting some flicker from the Phillips.

If your THQ lights are working with dipped staying on with main beam, having swapped from H4s, then they may well have the additional wiring harness added to enable this.

I've gone from H7s to the thq v2 headlights with osram nightbreaker lazer bulbs fitted. These are a lot better over standard but id like something a bit brighter and im looking to fit leds but dont want the warning on the dash its not good for my ocd!.

Last edited:
I've just swapped my Phillips LEDs for Twenty20 ones this morning. The job was easier than I expected it to be. The hardest part was fishing out the ballast that the Phillips bulbs need. Access isn't too bad, but aided by removing the top of the air box.

First impressions are that the beam pattern is just as sharp against the garage door and the best part, they are properly white, not the blue tinge that the Phillips lamps have.

I can't answer the bulb warning question, as I'd addressed that with VCDS beforehand.

Bring on the darkness so that I can give them a proper test.

I've just swapped my Phillips LEDs for Twenty20 ones this morning. The job was easier than I expected it to be. The hardest part was fishing out the ballast that the Phillips bulbs need. Access isn't too bad, but aided by removing the top of the air box.

First impressions are that the beam pattern is just as sharp against the garage door and the best part, they are properly white, not the blue tinge that the Phillips lamps have.

I can't answer the lamp warning question, as I'd addressed that with VCDS beforehand.

Bring on the darkness so that I can give them a proper test.

I am glad you went for the same bulbs as me. For their cost I think they are great value for money. They are a vast improvement over the Halogen ones. But not too bright to permanently dazzle other motorists as you see with other motorists using aftermarket HID’s etc.

At Bus Fest I chatted with a guy who recommended the Phillips LED’s but they were £120 per pair. And he said very very bright. So it’s a fine line between being an improvement vs being stupidly bright.

Next thing for me is to go and get my headlights aligned to see if they will pass an MOT!

Back