And also, does anyone out copper slip or that type of thing on their spacers to avoid seizure etc ?

And also, does anyone out copper slip or that type of thing on their spacers to avoid seizure etc ?
I find copper slip messy and aids in crud build up.
I use Vaseline. A nice thin smear over the faces and jobs a goodun.

I have a rub on full lock with my new alloys. T6 is lowered on 40mm springs.

The tyres are : 475/40/R20
and the wheels are
ET: 45
PCD: 5×120
Hub:72.6
Dimensions: 8.5×20

Question one - if i had smaller width tyres on the front only, would this resolve the issue? (245 for instance)
Question two - talk to me about spacers? The guy that fitted the tyres and told me about the rub, said to consider spacers but he didnt know any more than that. I am after the smallest job possible, so I want to remove the rub on full lock but don't want to have to change bolts etc

I have a rub on full lock with my new alloys. T6 is lowered on 40mm springs.

The tyres are : 475/40/R20
and the wheels are
ET: 45
PCD: 5×120
Hub:72.6
Dimensions: 8.5×20

Question one - if i had smaller width tyres on the front only, would this resolve the issue? (245 for instance)
Question two - talk to me about spacers? The guy that fitted the tyres and told me about the rub, said to consider spacers but he didnt know any more than that. I am after the smallest job possible, so I want to remove the rub on full lock but don't want to have to change bolts etc
I’m not surprised you have problems with 475 wide tyres o_O

I hope that’s a typo!

Do you think that would alleviate the issue with no spacers? And leave the larger tyres on the rear (money)

A narrower front tyre would help, if it still rubs then consider spacers. Will they fit is a good website to check offsets

I'll have a look at that mate thanks. Went with what I thought was the 'experts' pick (rolls eyes)

Hi, If you get a straight edge and put it across your wheel arches say (150mm ish down from the top of the arch), and measure back to your tyre you should find that around 25mm(or 30mm) on the fronts, and upto 40mm on the rear. I went for 25mm all round on 235 tyres,
It really is worth getting some good hub-centric TUV approved spacers, I went for HR, but there are others.
Just think about your bolts, their heads and re-using your plastic body head covers. It is hard to find 19mm bolt heads with the correct seating, and a VW wobble collar. If you don't have those, re-using your covers is tricky (if you are even bothered). With the larger (thicker) spacers you can reuse your old bolt, as the spacer bolts to the hub using supplied countersunk bolt heads. Then your wheel bolts to hub(cast in inserts to take bolts). For the 30mm+ fine, for 25mm spacers you may ned to cut a couple of mm of your existing bolts' thread, if you wish to use them. I think you will be pleased with the look. It is a big big improvement. Just be mindful going around left hand corners; you will probably clip the kerb, to start with.:):):)
Hi Chris, did you go for 25mm all round on the standard wheels? I am looking at something flush on standard wheels and think 25 is the right set and not protruding the line of the van ? Many thanks.

Hi, If you get a straight edge and put it across your wheel arches say (150mm ish down from the top of the arch), and measure back to your tyre you should find that around 25mm(or 30mm) on the fronts, and upto 40mm on the rear. I went for 25mm all round on 235 tyres,
It really is worth getting some good hub-centric TUV approved spacers, I went for HR, but there are others.
Just think about your bolts, their heads and re-using your plastic body head covers. It is hard to find 19mm bolt heads with the correct seating, and a VW wobble collar. If you don't have those, re-using your covers is tricky (if you are even bothered). With the larger (thicker) spacers you can reuse your old bolt, as the spacer bolts to the hub using supplied countersunk bolt heads. Then your wheel bolts to hub(cast in inserts to take bolts). For the 30mm+ fine, for 25mm spacers you may ned to cut a couple of mm of your existing bolts' thread, if you wish to use them. I think you will be pleased with the look. It is a big big improvement. Just be mindful going around left hand corners; you will probably clip the kerb, to start with.:):):)

Hi Chris,
Can you recommend any companies that can do all the hard work for me? I don’t like the sound of cutting locking wheel bolts etc. Also getting anything else wrong. Thanks in advance, Karl.

Most of the ads I read state spacers not suitable for OEM wheels, only aftermarket. Is there a spacer and bolt set for OEM 17" wheels?

Most of the ads I read state spacers not suitable for OEM wheels, only aftermarket. Is there a spacer and bolt set for OEM 17" wheels?
utter rubbish I've been using spacers on OEM 17 inch Devonports for years 20mm rear 15mm front
but you must use the correct longer bolts

Back