OEM+ Style Devonports

Jonesey45

DEVONPORTS.jpgNearly MOT time and the 20" Calibre CCU's tyres I had on had some uneven wear, so had a look in the garage and saw the original Devonport wheels that came with the van back in 2018 and had a bit of a moment.
Hmmmmmm, got some 25mm spacers for the rear and 15mm spacers for the front from Tamar and banged them on. I have to say that I really like the way the van sits, it is on Airlift 3P, but I think I might keep it this way for a while. Square number pate will be next lol.

I think Devonports are a great wheel. I’m about to spray mine black
At some point in the future we’ll be looking to get our Devonports done so that they’re not silver. Some variation of black is where we’ll go I think. I keep looking at offers of new/nearly new that come up for sale on here wondering whether I might buy a second set to get them painted whilst they’re not my fitted wheels. I’m interested in getting spacers for them too, I like the look just not 100% on whether they’rea good idea.

I’m interested in getting spacers for them too, I like the look just not 100% on whether they’rea good idea.
I've had spacers on for probably 40000 miles now, it's a heavy work van and I drive 'progressively' at times and I've had no problems whatsoever. They're from Watfields engineering, I check them everytime the wheels come off and they're still perfect. In terms of their effect on suspension geometry it's minimal and no different to fitting wheels with a smaller offset.

I've had spacers on for probably 40000 miles now, it's a heavy work van and I drive 'progressively' at times and I've had no problems whatsoever. They're from Watfields engineering, I check them everytime the wheels come off and they're still perfect. In terms of their effect on suspension geometry it's minimal and no different to fitting wheels with a smaller offset.
Thanks @Gavinda good to know.

I'm aware of the pros and cons of wheel spacers in general, but I still don't see how I'm wrong in saying that adding a spacer of a given thickness is any different to using a wheel with a smaller offset equal to the thickness of said spacer?

I'm aware of the pros and cons of wheel spacers in general, but I still don't see how I'm wrong in saying that adding a spacer of a given thickness is any different to using a wheel with a smaller offset equal to the thickness of said spacer?
Well for 1 point 4 in the video does not apply to using a smaller offset wheel. The wheel is still bolted to the surface of the hub. Therefore the moment produced is still the same as the original wheel.

Well for 1 point 4 in the video does not apply to using a smaller offset wheel. The wheel is still bolted to the surface of the hub. Therefore the moment produced is still the same as the original wheel.
I disagree, 20mm spacer or 20mm lower offset on each side increases vehicle track by 40mm for the same width of wheel.
I'm not implying the wheel with the reduced offset could cause any less problems than a spacer, just that I think in general people wouldn't think of it as being the same as using a spacer.

I disagree, 20mm spacer or 20mm lower offset on each side increases vehicle track by 40mm for the same width of wheel.
I'm not implying the wheel with the reduced offset could cause any less problems than a spacer, just that I think in general people wouldn't think of it as being the same as using a spacer.
It’s not to do with the track. It’s to do with the moment being applied on the bolts. Watch the video. Point 4 it’s explained.

It’s not to do with the track. It’s to do with the moment being applied on the bolts. Watch the video. Point 4 it’s explained.
This is how I see it, if;

A) Wheel no.1 has et50 offset.

B) Wheel no.2 has et30 offset.

C) Wheel no.1 (et50) has 20mm spacer.

Then both B) and C) will have the same effective wheel centre to hub face dimension and therfore the same moment applied to the wheel bearing, how can they not?

Sorry if it looks like I'm arguing, I just need to satisfy myself that I'm thinking about this correctly and I'm sure I am.

Generally all wheels are bolted to the hub using the same length of bolts, regardless of wheel width and offset. The distance from the seat in the wheel that the bolt sits in and the face of the hub is pretty consistent. When you add a spacer, whether you have the bolt on type, or use longer bolts, you are moving the wheel bolt seat further out, therefore increasing the leverage that the 'bolt' has on the hub bearing.

Then both B) and C) will have the same effective wheel centre to hub face dimension and therfore the same moment applied to the wheel bearing, how can they not?

Sorry if it looks like I'm arguing, I just need to satisfy myself that I'm thinking about this correctly and I'm sure I am.
image.jpg
I did not think arguing. Just a discussion. Excuse crap drawings.

It’s probably a lot more complicated than what e other of us are thinking.

don't forget the moment is generated from the reaction force applied over the tyre width from the ground. The further this width (slightly simplified)is moved from the bearing the greater the moment on the bearing. The hub to wheel connection also transfers moment not just a shear force. Therefore either offset increase (assuming it pushes the tyre out) or spacers will both increase the moment albeit without a calc I dont know if by the same!

View attachment 168886
I did not think arguing. Just a discussion. Excuse crap drawings.
They're better than the ones I attempted, and in theory I see your point, but once everything is pulled together with the correct torque I'd like to think the hub centre rings will provide the majority of locating and load transmitting duties.

But at this point I'm happy to say we've both made our points and both understand what the other's trying to communicate.

To finish - I have no issues using wheel spacers!

They're better than the ones I attempted, and in theory I see your point, but once everything is pulled together with the correct torque I'd like to think the hub centre rings will provide the majority of locating and load transmitting duties.

But at this point I'm happy to say we've both made our points and both understand what the other's trying to communicate.

To finish - I have no issues using wheel spacers!
I would never say anyone shouldn’t. They do make some wheels look a lot better and I’m sure we do more detrimental things to our vans and if the wheel bearings do wear slightly faster they are a replaceable item. I’ve no idea what the difference in bearing life would be.

Back