They only check that the high beam extinguishes when switched to dip, no check for the number of high beams.
On the Touareg for example it has bi xenon, you cant switch from dip to high as you would have a momentary dark as you wait for the high beams to warm up, so the dip stays on and the the high beam just comes on over the top, so to speak.

Last edited:
Reactions: KR.
The VW H7’s have a noticeable gap when full beam is on without dips and hence recoding makes a worthwhile difference.

However, that’s not necessarily the case with these TransporterHQ ones, it’s possible the full beam reflector gives more spread low down. Need careful comparison shots to be sure.

Ok, I'm understanding the issue a bit more now.
So, if you wanted.... is it then possibly to vcds code the aftermarket h7 units so both main and full beam are on together?

It may be that, ( and it has been hinted at in this thread ), that the TransporterHQ lights full beam pattern has been designed to spread the light over a longer distance, UNLIKE the VW H7 units where the full beam only projects long distance and the main beam only projects short distance hence VW coded them to come on together on full beam.

It sounds to me, from the early review, that these new lights are doing the business.

Yes it’s documented in the H4 > H7 thread
You need to turn off bit 1 in byte 22 in module 9, this bit basically reads as ‘disable low beam when high beam active’ and is turned on by default for H4 equipped vehicles, there is no tick box for this so basically you need to reduce the long code value by 2

Seems 'simple' enough...
I'm supposed to be getting a set of light early Feb. So will see what they like when they arrive. If there's wiring at the back then I'll be spending time getting that looking super oem.

What I like about that little bit of Info @Loz found is the bit that tells you
"Headlamps are not required on vehicles first used before Jan 1931 , however if optional headlights are fitted"
Must have been scary driving around at night then, bad enough now

I've just seen a note from the seller I've ordered through. There was a delay with the first batch of shipments (mine were supposed to be here a couple weeks ago), apparently they weren't happy with the main beam not staying on when full beam was on. So they did some additional work on them so it's functions together.I'm assuming they've recoded / rewired them then.
I've ordered through Travelin lite so I can't comment on the ones ordered via transporter HQ.

I've ordered a black set from Transporter HQ, looking forward to getting them fitted and hopefully giving a big improvement over the standard H4's

I'm pretty keen to upgrade my H4's but I'll probably let the early adopters deal with and sort out the various issues (VCDS coding, wiring looms etc.) with dip/full beam bulbs being on at the same time.

Equally, it's not particularly reassuring when there is a note on the Travelin Lite site T6 DRL Headlights that reads as follows:

Will work on all T6 2015 onwards but on Euro 6 engines you will see a warning light on the dash Euro 5 will have no warning on the dash. To check your vehicle look at your V5.

Nearly five hundred quids worth of aftermarket add-on and not only do I get brighter headlights but additional (unwanted) lighting on the dash!

I'll wait for now...

I've ordered a black set from Transporter HQ, looking forward to getting them fitted and hopefully giving a big improvement over the standard H4's
Looking forward to seeing feedback and pictures of the black ones, I have the same on order but they will need to get to Australia before I can get my hands on em

I'm pretty keen to upgrade my H4's but I'll probably let the early adopters deal with and sort out the various issues (VCDS coding, wiring looms etc.) with dip/full beam bulbs being on at the same time.

Equally, it's not particularly reassuring when there is a note on the Travelin Lite site T6 DRL Headlights that reads as follows:

Will work on all T6 2015 onwards but on Euro 6 engines you will see a warning light on the dash Euro 5 will have no warning on the dash. To check your vehicle look at your V5.

Nearly five hundred quids worth of aftermarket add-on and not only do I get brighter headlights but additional (unwanted) lighting on the dash!

I'll wait for now...

The transporter HQ lights look to be different to the traveling lite version

I'll wait for now...

There are two variations... and it's the black units specifically that have the error...and it's the same across all retailers for this specific unit currently. Yes it's £500 but at least they put the warning there. If you don't like that issue... then you don't buy them.... I didn't go for these for that reason. At least they are being honest which in todays world I think says a lot.
The silver units have no errors and thats what I've opted for.

Back