@Loz Carista doesnt allow for this kind of tweak. I got the dongle when doing the upgrade to H7. Looks as if a coding change via VCDS is the only way currently.

@KR. thanks for the info and I do like these lights, does the dipped beam stay on when full beam is out on?

I think I read somewhere on this thread or another that for these lights to be fully MOT compliant the dipped beam needed to stay on when the full beam is on.

I’ve turned my cornering lights off via Carista as didn’t find them at all useful. I kept getting told that a bulb had blown.....

I've just checked - the dipped beam goes off when the full beam is selected.

Here is an excerpt from the email TransporterHQ sent me when I asked them about MOT compliance :
Yes they have levelling Motors and are fully EU tested, E mark and compliant. They are made by one of, if not the biggest aftermarket headlight producer .....
Despite this and for our own piece of mind we even took them for an MOT test ourselves and they passed no issues.

This document might be of interest regarding the main/dipped beam question, headlamps appear in section 1.7 and I can't see any requirement for the dipped beam to stay on when the full beam is selected.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...mot-inspection-manual-classes-3-4-5-and-7.pdf

It was speculated by a few that you may need VCDS to get both lamps to remain lit after moving away from H4s. Its needed for the H7s. Many thought that just altering the wiring to keep the dipped lit may have a few issues.
I imagine this thread might get feisty as the word spreads.
I'm off to seek shelter with my H7s

Not sure it will get feisty...

I think its a personal choice, that if you want the full advantage of both H7s lit when on main beam you will want to do the programming mod (unless you achieve this with wiring changes).

If you're happy with a single lamp on high beam then you might as well stick to the H4s and save the money..

I think a few were under the impression that these lights would enable both lamps to be active without VCDS.

In more recent updates transporterhq have said that it will need a custom wiring loom for dipped to stay on when full beam is selected. However it would seem better to do this through VCDS rather a wiring loom if possible.

I emailed them originally when I was looking into changing my h4’s and asked if they need coding. As said previously in the thread this was the reply.

‘I understand why you would think that but no. The lights have been designed and coded not so.
They are plug and play. They’ll work right out of the box.’

Yes they work, but no they don’t work as well as they should.

In more recent updates transporterhq have said that it will need a custom wiring loom for dipped to stay on when full beam is selected. However it would seem better to do this through VCDS rather a wiring loom if possible.
Trying to cover up a fook up to me... as per @drew_greenday post, transporterHQ originally posted it would work out the box....

Had a conversation with TransporterHQ about this and a few different replies.

They have said main and full will not come on together, unless you buy a loom, different from the original reply. They didn’t apply this as the main and full bulbs on at the same time is illegal in some countries apparently.

Currently it’s a h4 with a fancy drl.....

Sorry if I'm being naive here, But are we talking about having main beam (std driving light) stay on when high beam is being used?

Obviously I realise that the extra light would be a benefit but how often are people having to drive with their high beam (brights) on for long periods of time. Obviously not including our shitty H4 units because you can have the bright lights on all the time and no one even knows it.

I do a lot of late night/early morning driving through the new forest and motorways and use full beam a lot. On my old H4's you could barely tell, on my new ones its like daylight! My point being some people do a lot of driving distance with full beam on and all the light you can get is useful.

I think the biggest thing I found when driving on full beam is when turning corners, the dark patch in front of the van created by the dipped beam being inactive left a bit of uncertainty as to the curve of the corner and where road becomes verge.

I've just been for a drive on an unlit country road. I used dipped and full beam, the difference between my new lights and the old H4's is very evident. The dipped H7 beam is much better than my previous H4's and the main/full H1 beam is much better than previous full beam as well - I'll happily drive up north at the weekend with these lights. My wife even remarked how much better they were. These lights don't need full and dipped on at the same time to get a good light, the H1s do that on their own, although I don't dispute the dipped would add more light.

Could Loz/Pauly confirm or otherwise that there is no MOT requirement for dipped to remain on when full beam selected?
MOT Link here, section 1.7 for Headlamps.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...mot-inspection-manual-classes-3-4-5-and-7.pdf

Back