[Guide] How To Retrofit MFSW And Cruise Control To T6 Eu6 2019 Startline - Also Hacking DSG Paddles For CCS

@bullracing Any chance you could take a pic of the long coding page for address 01, byte 5 please? I'd like to be able to identify exactly what needs doing as last time I spoke to Lee about this he was very cautious due to having issues and doesn't do steering wheel mods any more - probably similar to this :slow rofl:
Vans is in storage but I go check it a few times a week sometimes so when I am there next I will plug in and scan it.
This info below was the evening I got it back from Breeze with the CCS turned on. It may or may not help. If using VCDS then its a simple drop down to select either CCS or the active distance one or no cruise which is what yours will be set to.
Honestly that is all that held me up, it is a pita. I paid out for VCDS (yes fair one it was a while ago) but it serves me right for letting it do an update because when I 1st got the van I am 98% sure I had full access to the engine control module so they must have locked me out on an update to force people to update their vcds.

Address 01: Engine (2D2D2-CXHA) Labels:. 04L-907-309-V2.clb
Part No SW: 04L 906 056 KM HW: 04L 907 445
Component: R4 2.0l TDI H02 6186
Revision: 23002001
Coding: 0019401C432401090000
Shop #: WSC 45259 003 1048576
ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM20TDI03004L906056KM 004013
ROD: EV_ECM20TDI03004L906056JS_004.rod
VCID: 020B54C69567A5961D-8056

Thanks @bullracing
I have read that you need the latest VCDS version for full access, but i'm beginning to wonder if I can find an older version it might be worth a try. Who knows.
I have ordered VCP, but it's hard to know if this will work. Bit of a gamble really, but I will pay Breeze to do it if it comes to that. I have a trip to Manchester next weekend, so would like to have cruise running for that if possible.

Anyone know the part number for this MFSWA77F1E68-801D-4179-9F74-C4AEAE1C32CB.jpeg

Hi!
Look at this device:
Multifunctional Steering Wheel GRA Adapter can be used on VW PQ-25 platform machines: Amarok(2009-2020)/VW-T5GP-T6 (2009-2020)Caravelle/California/Transporter/Multivan/Polo(2009-2020)/Polo Sedan(2009-2020)
The adapter allows you to use steering wheels of various platforms (PQ-35, PQ-45, MQB, etc. with cruise control buttons to be used on PQ-25 platform vehicles)

This multifunction steering wheel adapter has a pass-through LIN bus and allows you to perform the following functions:
- control the on-board computer
- control the radio unit (volume, tracks, mute)
- manage your phone
- manage voice communication
- control the steering wheel heating function
- Supports steering wheel illumination both on T6 and on all T5GP, Polo and Polo Sedan units.
- control the cruise control function both from the standard steering wheel buttons (RES, SET, CANCEL) and buttons (+, - 10 km / h each), as well as the DSG gear shift paddles (+, -) (If there is a DSG, it will be possible to select paddle function for both shift control and cruise control).
It is possible to modify the adapter program to reassign the function of the buttons.
The adapter has a USB connector for firmware updates.

Finished mine. Works a treat.
Does anyone know how to change the increment from 5 mph per push to 1 mph per push?
I know chang1 talks about it in the early posts, but it is linked the the paddle mode and very vague for the coding involved.
Does anyone know for sure as I'd like a bit more control over the adjustments?
Thanks

Reactions: mmi
Finished mine. Works a treat.
Does anyone know how to change the increment from 5 mph per push to 1 mph per push?
I know chang1 talks about it in the early posts, but it is linked the the paddle mode and very vague for the coding involved.
Does anyone know for sure as I'd like a bit more control over the adjustments?
Thanks
Using SET - and RES + buttons should do in small increments.

Thanks mmi, I’ll give that a go.
I suppose I should read than manual at this point too ;)

Reactions: mmi
Clear as day in the manual now. Will give it a try when next out in the van.

I've followed all the instructions now and it seems to work fine, although only briefly tested. not sure if it works with the DSG yet. Does anyone know which bit of the coding makes it work with the DSG? Nothing I have seen/noticed specified manual or DSG ref the coding.

For anyone contemplating this, it is not that difficult to follow once you get tucked into it. It does take a while though when it is all new. I'm happy to help as others have helped me. I can't do the coding though as my unlimited clone didn't work for the engine module - happy to let others try it for themselves though as I've now got a gen cable, but limited VIN, and multiple VW's it will be used on.

Serious thanks to the likes of @chang1 , @mr.needs , @mmi , @Dellmassive for the write-ups/info/guidance - I'm sure there were points to note from others too, but can't remember all. My used steering wheel was £130 from Germany (£70 new one with paddles from Columbia never arrived - surprise!). £40 kufatec wiring harness. Probably about £40 all in on repair wires, 5 mt yellow 0.5 wire, heat shrink, solder, pin release tools, panel tools, etc. mr.needs lists all parts needed.
Coding will be the issue for most if you are not prepared to take the £225 hit on the cable, or don't know anyone who can do it. i saw this bit as an investment in the van's well-being, once i'd realised my clone wasn't going to work....

It took me way longer than I had planned, but i'm lucky enough to have a garage I could do it in. Not sure I would have wanted to do this on the side of the road, especially if raining.

You will need to remove the scuttle panel to route the wire if you don't already have cruise in the van, and the windscreen wipers can be a bugger to get off. i believe Halfords do a cheap wiper removal tool, but I used a small 3 leg gear puller (one leg needed grinding for drivers side as it is very close to trim panel)

Under the battery-
I release all of the fuses and moved the holder out of the way so I could get my hands in easier.
The T10 connector is buried right at the bottom under the battery. I had a bit on a sweat on at this bit, but slow and methodical is the key. The connectors are grouped on each row by their wires, but i took photos at each level just to be sure I put it all back correctly. A long flat blade screwdriver is really useful here for either separating the connectors while you push the release button with your finger as you get further down, and for releasing the T10 housing from the connector support cage as you will need to do this to get the side that the repair wire goes in out on the connector due to some wires coming up through the panel below it. Be careful not to tug on the cables. Slow and steady.

T10 Pin 1 cable route-
There is a grommet on the right of the elec box as you are looking at it whilst doing this. That feeds through easy.
Then there is one behind it to get you up into the scuttle tray. This one is properly insulated. I pushed a small screwdriver through the rubber, then a small rigid tube through the hole. A pen core worked really well as you can then push the wire into it, and feed it through. Then top right is an open hole into the cab. Remove lower glove box to get access to this.
Easiest way to get across to divers side is a piece of 6mm PU air hose, or similar. Rigid enough to feed behind dash and then just feed wire through.

BMC pin 36 was a pain. There was not enough slack to get the connector down, so I ended up removing clocks and feeding connector up through the opening as suggested by Chang1 I think. Easy to splice onto the wire then.

Just one thing: Engine module 01, Byte 5, bit 5-6 is a drop down menu. It is bit 6 that should be high (1) and bit 5 low (0). the string should look like 01000100 and the hex value for byte 5 should be 24. It was 04 initially in my non-cruise van.

If you don't have a whole day and want to, in my opinion this can easily be broken into 2 chunks despite suggestions otherwise in this thread.
Pt 1 - T10 pin 1 cable and feed to into drivers foot well. only need to remove side panel and two lower panels on drivers side. This is really quick and easy so no big deal.
Pt 2 - the rest.

Anyway, just some notes that may help other contemplating this.
It's actually really satisfying to have done it myself.

If you don't want to do it yourself, then look up Michael Sims on facebook. He is based near Manchester and provides the wheels new and does all the install and coding for you. He was kind enough to give me free advice over the phone after seeing a facebook post from me asking for advice. Genuine guy, and no, I don't have any affiliation.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Clear as day in the manual now. Will give it a try when next out in the van.

I've followed all the instructions now and it seems to work fine, although only briefly tested. not sure if it works with the DSG yet. Does anyone know which bit of the coding makes it work with the DSG? Nothing I have seen/noticed specified manual or DSG ref the coding.

For anyone contemplating this, it is not that difficult to follow once you get tucked into it. It does take a while though when it is all new. I'm happy to help as others have helped me. I can't do the coding though as my unlimited clone didn't work for the engine module - happy to let others try it for themselves though as I've now got a gen cable, but limited VIN, and multiple VW's it will be used on.

Serious thanks to the likes of @chang1 , @mr.needs , @mmi , @Dellmassive for the write-ups/info/guidance - I'm sure there were points to note from others too, but can't remember all. My used steering wheel was £130 from Germany (£70 new one with paddles from Columbia never arrived - surprise!). £40 kufatec wiring harness. Probably about £40 all in on repair wires, 5 mt yellow 0.5 wire, heat shrink, solder, pin release tools, panel tools, etc. mr.needs lists all parts needed.
Coding will be the issue for most if you are not prepared to take the £225 hit on the cable, or don't know anyone who can do it. i saw this bit as an investment in the van's well-being, once i'd realised my clone wasn't going to work....

It took me way longer than I had planned, but i'm lucky enough to have a garage I could do it in. Not sure I would have wanted to do this on the side of the road, especially if raining.

You will need to remove the scuttle panel to route the wire if you don't already have cruise in the van, and the windscreen wipers can be a bugger to get off. i believe Halfords do a cheap wiper removal tool, but I used a small 3 leg gear puller (one leg needed grinding for drivers side as it is very close to trim panel)

Under the battery-
I release all of the fuses and moved the holder out of the way so I could get my hands in easier.
The T10 connector is buried right at the bottom under the battery. I had a bit on a sweat on at this bit, but slow and methodical is the key. The connectors are grouped on each row by their wires, but i took photos at each level just to be sure I put it all back correctly. A long flat blade screwdriver is really useful here for either separating the connectors while you push the release button with your finger as you get further down, and for releasing the T10 housing from the connector support cage as you will need to do this to get the side that the repair wire goes in out on the connector due to some wires coming up through the panel below it. Be careful not to tug on the cables. Slow and steady.

T10 Pin 1 cable route-
There is a grommet on the right of the elec box as you are looking at it whilst doing this. That feeds through easy.
Then there is one behind it to get you up into the scuttle tray. This one is properly insulated. I pushed a small screwdriver through the rubber, then a small rigid tube through the hole. A pen core worked really well as you can then push the wire into it, and feed it through. Then top right is an open hole into the cab. Remove lower glove box to get access to this.
Easiest way to get across to divers side is a piece of 6mm PU air hose, or similar. Rigid enough to feed behind dash and then just feed wire through.

BMC pin 36 was a pain. There was not enough slack to get the connector down, so I ended up removing clocks and feeding connector up through the opening as suggested by Chang1 I think. Easy to splice onto the wire then.

Just one thing: Engine module 01, Byte 5, bit 5-6 is a drop down menu. It is bit 6 that should be high (1) and bit 5 low (0). the string should look like 01000100 and the hex value for byte 5 should be 24. It was 04 initially in my non-cruise van.

If you don't have a whole day and want to, in my opinion this can easily be broken into 2 chunks despite suggestions otherwise in this thread.
Pt 1 - T10 pin 1 cable and feed to into drivers foot well. only need to remove side panel and two lower panels on drivers side. This is really quick and easy so no big deal.
Pt 2 - the rest.

Anyway, just some notes that may help other contemplating this.
It's actually really satisfying to have done it myself.

If you don't want to do it yourself, then look up Michael Sims on facebook. He is based near Manchester and provides the wheels new and does all the install and coding for you. He was kind enough to give me free advice over the phone after seeing a facebook post from me asking for advice. Genuine guy, and no, I don't have any affiliation.

Good luck :thumbsup:
Brilliant write up @huw169 , question though, you mention the MFSW from Germany, can you recall the part number as this is where I don’t want to get the wrong part and waste money which could be used elsewhere on my van, Floyd?

@Texxaco
7E0419091 here is the link - VW T6 Steering Wheel Leather Multifunction Multi Function 7E0419091 G755 | eBay
I offered less than the price and he went for it, so check out his shop, and don't be worried about a cheeky offer.

Thing to make sure is the middle button on left of wheel is correct for your van. Blank for none ACC and car image for with ACC. I would have liked flappys, but it's not a racing car so was not a show stopper for me. Think flappy pt no ends with an AC. Mine ends in an M.
It you get a gen T6 one, then your current airbag will fit. If you get something else, the shape of the airbag interface can look identical, but the mountings are incompatible. Also, the buttons on left get a bit more complex getting the correct ones.

Are you looking for original T6?

Thanks @huw169, a perfect starting point for and thanks again for you insight.

I would like the VW Golf M7 wheel as I prefer the look. I don’t have ACC, middle button on the left of my MFSW is blank but I do have CCS and would very much like the paddles.
As this is the case would a non ACC wheel from a Mk 7 Golf GTi etc with paddles and the airbag be a straight swap?

I am fairly confident with pulling my van apart and refitting it, mechanicals wise I am good, where I am not so good is the sparky side which is where I would need the guidance. Although learning fast!

My preference is to fit the wheel myself as it’s the sort of thing I like to do, get my hands dirty as they say. Plus as you mentioned there is a sense of achievement that you get in completing these projects.

Any help would be greatly received.

@Texxaco
I'm not too clued up on the Golf wheel fitting. I prefer the less fussy (IMO) standard T6 look - for now....
Have you read through dellmassive's steering wheel thread as I know he did this, and got the wrong wheel initially, so there will be some good insight as to what works and what doesn't. As it was not 100% relevant to me I didn't retain all the info. I read stuff about having to swap buttons, etc, but your current ones might fit.

@Texxaco
I'm not too clued up on the Golf wheel fitting. I prefer the less fussy (IMO) standard T6 look - for now....
Have you read through dellmassive's steering wheel thread as I know he did this, and got the wrong wheel initially, so there will be some good insight as to what works and what doesn't. As it was not 100% relevant to me I didn't retain all the info. I read stuff about having to swap buttons, etc, but your current ones might fit.
Cheers @huw169 :thumbsup:

@Dellmassive,

Any chance you can recall the part numbers for both the VW Golf MFSW you purchased?

I don’t have ACC but I do have CCS fitted. I would also want paddles as feel I would use them in the van like I did in my GTi’s and the Q5.

Having read up a lot it seems paddles are a straight fit so long as you have a DSG GB which I do. It’s the buttons that concern me, not too fussed if they are white illumination though.

As always any help would be marvellous.

Hi
Thanks to all you guys for the work on this thread.
I'm new to this and I have a 2019 T6 its a trendline camper conversion. I have stop start on the van but no ccs, so I would like to fit MFSW with CCS on Sw.
Can some one tell me which SW to fit and what loom and is that loom the wiring that sits under the airbag?
I see a polo wheel is an option should that be a certain year and if bought with a loom would that be OK to use.
A parts list would be great if anyone has one thanks.
Paul

You need a wheel with no acc .. the loom is available on eBay search about £40 I paid for non China version .. wheel also from eBay or forum .. I used a T6 Highline wheel bought on eBay £100 ... you also need repair wires x3 ??as you my have to wire to the ecu as you have no ccs on the stalk at present .. do some reading of the posts on here for background info .. Dellmassive and Chang1 posts on these subjects .. good luck

You need a wheel with no acc .. the loom is available on eBay search about £40 I paid for non China version .. wheel also from eBay or forum .. I used a T6 Highline wheel bought on eBay £100 ... you also need repair wires x3 ??as you my have to wire to the ecu as you have no ccs on the stalk at present .. do some reading of the posts on here for background info .. Dellmassive and Chang1 posts on these subjects .. good luck
Hi Mocko
Thanks for the quick reply, I have read this thread from start to finish.

I'm just not sure which loom it is I need, or which steering wheel and if I find one that has a loom with it can I use that loom?

Also if I want Ccs on the mfsw why would I buy one that doesn't have the buttons on it.
Sorry if I'm going over old ground i just want to get a clear picture before buying anything.
Cheers Pag

Hi
Thanks to all you guys for the work on this thread.
I'm new to this and I have a 2019 T6 its a trendline camper conversion. I have stop start on the van but no ccs, so I would like to fit MFSW with CCS on Sw.
Can some one tell me which SW to fit and what loom and is that loom the wiring that sits under the airbag?
I see a polo wheel is an option should that be a certain year and if bought with a loom would that be OK to use.
A parts list would be great if anyone has one thanks.
Paul
Look for mr.needs post in this thread, it is all listed out for you.

Hi Mocko
Thanks for the quick reply, I have read this thread from start to finish.

I'm just not sure which loom it is I need, or which steering wheel and if I find one that has a loom with it can I use that loom?

Also if I want Ccs on the mfsw why would I buy one that doesn't have the buttons on it.
Sorry if I'm going over old ground i just want to get a clear picture before buying anything.
Cheers Pag
Unless you get the correct wheel with airbag you will need a loom .. you need to use your existing airbag from your trend line van the new wheel airbag fitting needs to be the same as your van airbag for swap over “search t6 mfsw wiring loom” on eBay .. if you go to the dealers they will need a vin number and your van vin will be no good as you have no mfsw fitted. Ccs on the wheel is not the same as acc - active cruise control and is a different wheel .. so do not buy acc version wheel as it wil not work .. only standard cruise control wheel .. I’ll try and post some photos

Back