Opinions invited on CCS Retrofit

For what its worth, cruise control 100% for me transforms the van. ACC is ok, but it constantly pushes you back. Before you know it you will be chatting away and doing 50 behind a sunday driver or trailer for 20 mins and then have to manually overtake.

I cruise 80% of the way to cornwall, just need to remember how cruise works and plan ahead and move out in good time, its both relaxing and makes good progress.

I’d have no problem with it on stalk, I’ve used both but for convinence, and super lazyness just liked the buttons on the wheel.

Let us know how its going :) I am sure you will love the new wheel - its such a huge improvement on the PU one, makes the van just feel much more premium, and cruise will be a great addition :)

I've said it before but I would prefer a speed limiter to cruise control, being an HGV driver I'm used to spending long periods of time with the throttle peddle pushed to the floor and I use the speed limiter all the time, just set it to 31,41 or 51 and keep your foot to the floor.
I don’t like the idea of ACC for driving in UK, especially with congested M-Ways and the poor driving skill. I use the basic CC with stalk controls in average speed zones, but otherwise don’. I get better fuel economy and a smoother drive when I’m controlling the speed.
Like @Ali-G, I find speed limiters very useful, possibly because I too have driven lorries with limiters for years.

For what its worth, cruise control 100% for me transforms the van. ACC is ok, but it constantly pushes you back. Before you know it you will be chatting away and doing 50 behind a sunday driver or trailer for 20 mins and then have to manually overtake.

I cruise 80% of the way to cornwall, just need to remember how cruise works and plan ahead and move out in good time, its both relaxing and makes good progress.

I’d have no problem with it on stalk, I’ve used both but for convinence, and super lazyness just liked the buttons on the wheel.

Let us know how its going :) I am sure you will love the new wheel - its such a huge improvement on the PU one, makes the van just feel much more premium, and cruise will be a great addition :)
This is where I’m at so far:

I spent an inordinate amount of time researching wheels, button sets, PQ25 vs MQB, airbags and wiring harnesses. Then an equal amount of time trying to source the parts. I’ll write a proper guide for the EUR5 when it’s all done, but the issue I found was some parts were almost impossible to find at sensible prices today IF I stuck with my current airbag. I switched to Polo 6C (warning, actually mkV!) for wheel, buttons and bag, and it all suddenly became a lot easier.

I’ve installed the MFSW > BCM and light switch wires, have the wheel and am now waiting for the brand new airbag to come from Poland.

Should be a simple swap of wheel when that arrives and a quick bit of coding. Once that’s all tested and commissioned, I’ll do the stalks for CCS, which are currently en-route from @Lightrofit.

I didn't spot this thread earlier...

So I have added a MFSW with buttons from an Amarok (I'm strange and wanted white illumination) the wheel is from an early Scirocco.

PXL_20231008_085526726.jpg

Excuse the state ha, it's a work van more than pleasure van!

With my van being a T5.1, I added a BCM from a EU5 T6 so I could have the button illumination via LIN. it wasn't difficult but did take a little time to get neat.

Reactions: CJW
Airbag arrived today so swapped wheels over and it all works perfectly - buttons, horn, lights, no fault codes. Happy bunny. Will write a post specifically for EUR5 T6 owners.

Thank you everyone. The work was completed yesterday and road tested this morning. All works beautifully and really happy with the result. Quite a lot of work but well worth it in my IMHO and very happy with the decision to go CCS on stalks and fit a MFSW.

Hopefully never have to get to that T10 connector ever again. :)

Reactions: mmi
Hmmmm. Interesting longer drive yesterday. When using the res/+ and set/- buttons on the stalk to change speed, it is speeding up but not by 1 mph per press - noticeably less.

Since the manual states that the buttons are used to increase / decrease by "1 m/h (1km/h)" then I assume that it can be set to either and perhaps mine is set to Km/h. It's the lowline version of the instruments on this van, so I can't change anything on the MFD. My instrument region is set to GB.

I wonder if I needed to enter a specific country importer or equipment data setting as this screen popped up on coding, and I selected ‘no’ to carry across settings already there. Anybody have a view as to what could / should be in that entry? Or any other ideas? Is there another place to set region for example?

I’d be very grateful for any help.

IMG_5410.jpeg

Solved this - because my clocks don't show the requested speed, it was impossible to notice that I was pressing the button too quickly. By using a GPS speedo, and pressing the buttons slowly, allowing the van to reach each incremental speed, it is clearly working. Before, it was ignoring some requests because it hadn't reached the speed, giving the impression that it took, say, 8 clicks to gain 5mph.

Back